Effects for those who believe in spiritism

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
degrisy
Favorite Magician: Tamariz

Effects for those who believe in spiritism

Postby degrisy » June 9th, 2016, 2:25 pm

I am in Brazil and I happen to meet people who really believe in spiritism (Kardec) or voodoo and this kind of things.

I would like to present a couple of effects about this lines only to tell them later on that are just tricks and see their reactions.

Unhappily I have nothing of this kind in my repertoire, so I ask if someone can suggest some effects or books where I can find something not too complicated with a good presentation.

An effect of the kind I am looking for is Revelations by Reverend Tristan published on Mystic Menagerie # 1 (http://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/collecti ... ie-issue-1), but it is unpractical because I can not go around with a tarot deck.

Thank you.
Ars longa, vita brevis

John LeBlanc

Re: Effects for those who believe in spiritism

Postby John LeBlanc » June 9th, 2016, 4:03 pm

I'm just thinking out loud here: It seems to me the first part may be entertaining, but the last part may be perceived that you are challenging their belief system. Or something more offensive.

John

performer

Postby performer » June 9th, 2016, 4:23 pm

It IS possible to put curses on people. I do it if they annoy me sufficiently.

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » April 10th, 2017, 2:01 pm

I just found out today about the passing of Bob Cassidy and I want to say that he and I had some great long phone conversations, and he had no attitude of superiority with me, an unknown to him, and was very supportive of ideas I had. Anyway, this topic one we covered. Bob felt strongly that it was important to believe it is real, in case the 'real thing' actually hits during a show, and to cultivate the atmosphere for such a thing occurring etc. etc. I was never sure if he was putting me on and just felt it was good to say you yourself believe until you start to, or if he just believed one should never admit anything whatsoever.

Another great man I discussed this with was Charles Reynolds who thought that if people believe in 'powers' that ultimately this was good for magic. And of course he and I knew you can't claim any healing powers or make any predictions that might have any real world impact on their lives, so I guess there is a middle ground where you don't say it is NOT real but you don't do any damage either. It certainly is a tricky area, but I must say the magicians that feel they have to expose that it is fake are probably over-reacting. At least this is what I believe today.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » April 10th, 2017, 3:54 pm

I recall a story about Bob Steiner who went on Australian radio to perform a psychic stunt for the audience, using his energy to start up broken clocks and such. He later explained on air that it was all fake only to receive phone calls telling him that he was wrong, that he really did perform these psychic miracles and that he needed to recognize his powers.

A "true believer" will not accept the truth.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » April 10th, 2017, 3:57 pm

degrisy wrote: ... it is unpractical because I can not go around with a tarot deck.
Really?!

performer

Postby performer » April 10th, 2017, 4:29 pm

There are actually small tarot cards on the market. Playing size cards in actual fact. You could certainly carry those around with you if you were so inclined.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”