Students met their demise via hypnosis

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
JFox

Students met their demise via hypnosis

Postby JFox » October 7th, 2015, 2:57 pm

http://gawker.com/school-board-to-pay-6 ... 1735168352

So bizzare for me to even guess if the above story is even real or not.

Bob Cunningham

Re: Students met their demise via hypnosis

Postby Bob Cunningham » October 7th, 2015, 3:05 pm

"Correlation does not imply causation"

performer

Postby performer » October 7th, 2015, 6:37 pm

The story is real. I remember it from a few years ago. The principal was unwise to put himself in this situation but I don't believe the "hypnosis" was responsible. That is because there is no such thing as hypnosis in the first place.

I have been doing professional stage hypnotism for many years. Here is the proof of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQRIAp7OYSE

The most important thing to know about hypnosis is that is a load of old cobblers. Nobody is hypnotised although many of the subjects THINK they are. They delude themselves that something has happened. Now if you want to go all semantic on me and say that this self delusion is another word for hypnosis then be my guest.

I used to believe in hypnosis until one of the greatest stage hypnotists of the 20th century told me it was a load of old nonsense and that he had never actually "hypnotised" anyone in his life despite the fact he was renowned for it.

I don't believe the students were affected so much by the non existent hypnosis so much as by the fact that they may already have been unstable before the "trance" was induced. Possibly the self delusion was exacerbated by the impressionability of teenagers. That is why in the UK you are not allowed to hypnotise anyone under the age of 21. Or at least I think that is the age limit. I suppose I could be wrong and it could be 18. I can't be bothered looking it up. I do think it is 21 though.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » October 7th, 2015, 7:12 pm

Psychics are real. Hypnotists are not. Got it.

performer

Postby performer » October 7th, 2015, 9:34 pm

Widdle, old chap. I am not sure if you are aware of it since you probably do not have a British education but Psychics and Hypnotists are two different professions. I have great expertise at both so naturally I am the expert in these matters and you are not.

Now do pay attention. There's a good chap. Some psychics are real and some are not. I am one of the real ones. Hypnotists are NOT real and I am one of the not-so-real ones.

I do hope that clarifies things for you.

Incidentally for those of you who are daft enough to think that people who make love to broomsticks or talk in the Martian language are really under some sort of trance and have no awareness of what they are doing may I recommend a book which will give you some insight on the matter. It is entitled "They Call it Hypnosis" by Robert Baker and is published by Prometheus Publications.

performer

Postby performer » October 8th, 2015, 6:37 am

I suppose I had better explain how I first came to realise that hypnosis was a load of rot. I was getting suspicious for a while because of various things I had noticed and researched. However, the real moment of revelation was when I asked a legendary stage hypnotist what on earth was going on. Here is an extract from my book on stage hypnosis:

Before I leave this topic I’d like to tell you a story. When I first started my performing career I asked a legendary stage hypnotist for advice. This fellow had retired from the stage and had become a hypnotherapist.

I looked him straight in the eye and asked him straight out, “Are the people on stage really hypnotised? Are they really in some sort of altered state of consciousness or are they just kidding me and themselves?” My guru started to look uncomfortable and become evasive in his answers. However, I persisted and he gave in. He looked shiftily at his receptionist outside in the hallway then closed the door so she wouldn’t hear the conversation. He then looked at me and proceeded in a few sentences to explain the key to stage hypnotism. And it was probably the most profound lesson I had ever heard or will hear on the subject. This is what he said. “Look, I was a pioneer in this field. I was number one for about 30 years. In that 30 years I am quite sure I never hypnotised a single person on stage!”

This was quite a shock to me and although I had pushed for the answer I was nevertheless stunned to receive it. One of the most legendary stage hypnotists of all time had just, in so many words, told me he had been faking it for 30 years! After I recovered I asked him, “Well, in that case, how do you make the people do all those crazy things?” He stared at me and then uttered the key revelation which opened up a new career for me. “You manipulate them, don’t you?” You do, of course “manipulate them” and I’ve been manipulating them ever since.

JFox

Postby JFox » October 9th, 2015, 7:03 pm

performer

Postby performer » October 9th, 2015, 8:45 pm

Yes. Kreskin has always been consistent in saying that. Some silly people have stated to me that he only says that for legal reasons since in some jurisdictions stage hypnosis is strongly restricted. However, I don't believe that one bit. He has stated this consistently through the years. I consider him to be a great showman and always have.

He is not the only stage hypnotist who disbelieves in the trance state. I know a terrific Irish performer who says it is all bunkum too. And he is right. And the guy I mentioned in my previous post (who is now deceased) was legendary in the hypnosis business.

Furthermore I still remember Martin Breese telling me about Gil Boyne, a legendary stage hypnotist and hypnotherapist. Martin said to me, "Gil Boyne was sitting in that same chair you are sitting in now and told me that hypnosis was a load of baloney". And this was a guy who was known as one of the world's greatest authorities on the subject!

No. I agree with Kreskin.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » October 10th, 2015, 10:38 am

performer wrote:Widdle, old chap. I am not sure if you are aware of it since you probably do not have a British education but Psychics and Hypnotists are two different professions. I have great expertise at both so naturally I am the expert in these matters and you are not

Whilst accepting that you are indeed “the expert in these matters….” I’m interested to know what “a British education” has to do with anything under discussion.

Not a comment or criticism, merely a request for information/enlightenment. Thankyou.

performer

Postby performer » October 10th, 2015, 10:49 pm

I did have a feeling that I wasn't being particularly clear and I considered some clarification but then decided I couldn't be bothered. However since you bring the matter up I was a little worried that Widdle would not be quite up to speed on things because he was probably educated in America. I happen to know that American educational standards are one year behind Canadian standards and THREE years behind British standards! In other words people who are not as tactful as myself would say that Americans aren't too bright. Not the sort of thing I would say of course.

I was a little worried that Widdle in light of a geographical accident and through no fault of his own being in possession of a lesser standard of education may not have known the difference between a psychic and a hypnotist. That is all.

Still, if this is indeed the case I am of course delighted to have enlightened him.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”