JREF million dollar challenge

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
performer

JREF million dollar challenge

Postby performer » September 30th, 2015, 2:15 pm

I thought I would give poor old Widdle and Brad Henderson something else to argue about as I am now bored with the exposure debate. I have always known that the Randi challenge was a load of old cobblers and it seems that someone agrees with me. Get a gander at this:

http://zthoughtcriminal.blogspot.ca/201 ... ze-10.html

P.T.Widdle

Re: JREF million dollar challenge

Postby P.T.Widdle » September 30th, 2015, 2:38 pm

"We plan on continuing the Million Dollar Challenge as a means for educating the public about paranormal claims."

http://web.randi.org/

performer

Postby performer » September 30th, 2015, 10:48 pm

I bet the amount of applicants is on a par with the circulation of the Zetetic Magazine. The challenge has been discredited many times. Anyone daft enough to believe a biased organisation is going to give away money needs their head examined. I have always said that if you pulled three tons of ectoplasm out of Randi's left ear he would STILL find a way of not paying out. Wouldn't you? It is common sense after all.

Eric Chico

Postby Eric Chico » January 16th, 2016, 11:03 am

You don't think the JREF would pay if the challenger accomplished what he claims to be able to accomplish? The parameters are agreed to by both parties prior to the challenge...

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 16th, 2016, 11:21 am

Eric Chico wrote: The parameters are agreed to by both parties prior to the challenge...

But that's just it -- critics of Randi say that he never agrees to a protocol.

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » January 16th, 2016, 5:58 pm

From the post "JREF Status", dated 9/1/2015, which seems to be the most recent announcement re JREF policies:

"Effective immediately, JREF will no longer accept applications directly from people claiming to have a paranormal power. ... The only exception is that any established psychic may contact JREF via email to be tested directly (preferably with an independent, third party TV crew)."

There seems to be a discrepancy between those two sentences but maybe not? And can people who do email the foundation thereafter claim to be "recognized by the James Randi Foundation as an established psychic"?

Also they're working on new "minimal protocols" for proving paranormal powers.

And, JREF has decided to become a grant-making organization, offering smallish (circa $100,000 total per year for all grants) windfalls to nonprofits that promote "critical thinking and a fact-based world view."

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”