The word "Mentalist" what does it mean

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Banachek

The word "Mentalist" what does it mean

Postby Banachek » November 22nd, 2014, 11:15 am

As with anything there are those who want to play semantics with words and some will misinterpret the word mentalist to mean what they want it to mean

The word “mentalist” has been used to describe “psychics” and in the U.K., has become a tongue and cheek insult for someone who is behaving strangely or is crazy mostly thanks to the T.V. series “Alan Partridge” and “The Office.” But what does it mean to us as psychic entertainers and magicians?

The word mentalist originally was used in the context for one "whose tastes are from mental rather than material pleasures", in a book published in 1790 by C.M. Graham. In 1874 it became known to be associated in context of a mental action due to H. Maudsley. Then in 1978 again it was popularized in the context of the medical profession for someone who behaves strangely in a book called “On Our Own” by Judi Chamberlin.

But in the context we tend to think of today, the context of the famous NBC TV show and of what I do as an entertainer, it simply means someone who takes his known senses to create the illusion of reading minds or being a psychic. The line, "I take my five known senses to create the illusion of a sixth" first introduced by magician/mentalist Ned Rutledge who gave me permission to use and promote the idea in my books.

The first documented printed use of this word in newspapers I can find was in the Trenton Evening Times in 1909. The earliest I have found for the term being used in reference to entertainers who “read minds,” was in the 1870’s.

Dunninger, who is thought of by many as being the modern father of mentalists who use tricks on stage, claimed he coined the word from the book Kybalion (Hermetic Philosophy), published in  1908 where it states that; “The Principle of Mentalism embodies the truth that "All is Mind.”"

So thinking about it, we may never know who actually coined the term in reference to demonstrations of Stage Mind Reading as I perform it.

If anyone has more info, I would love to hear it.
In thoughts and friendship
Banachek

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”