Need help figuring out a few viable methods to use.

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Head Games
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Need help figuring out a few viable methods to use.

Postby Head Games » May 2nd, 2014, 8:09 pm

I have a few things that I am working on that have me a little stumped. Hopefully someone may come up with a few ideas I could play around with.

1. I am trying to be able to write a playing card, or anything for that matter onto a hand held white, dry erase board. (or a drawing pad for art, quite large) I want to be able to draw the first "prediction" or "revelation" (depending on how I do it) on the board or large pad of paper, then, place it down on a plate stand or easel facing away from the audience, and in the action of placing it down, be able to change the writing from one word or card to another. So that when I pick it back up, it seems like the writing has changed on it without me ever going near it.

Any Ideas?

2. I am also trying to figure out how to construct (or maybe buy) a change box, about a 1-2 cubic foot sized box, so that I can display one thing inside of it, then be able to cover it, and have it change into something else. I am assuming it would need to be made of Plexiglass or something you can see though so that you can view the props inside. If I remember correctly, I had seen an effect for sale a long time ago called "money explosion" or something like that where it was a clear box with nothing in it, and then with the flip of a lever or switch it looked like the box was stuffed with a ton of money. I think in the picture the bills were over flowing out of the top. But I don't need it to look like its growing or overflowing out, or have any mechanism inside to do that.. I just need a box like that to make a change happen.

Lastly, I was trying to figure out a way to mark a piece of foam core bored without having a visual marking, I'm trying to figure out some sort of invisible marking that I can put on it to be able to feel it. I was thinking something like super glue gel, but haven't had a chance to play with it. And I am thinking still, that would be visible. (A spectator will be holding the piece of board) so I need to make it so they cant see the marking by mistake.

If you have any ideas that you think could maybe work, please feel free to share. Hopefully I can figure something out in the process of discussion of ideas.

Thanks!

shatteredorbit

Re: Need help figuring out a few viable methods to use.

Postby shatteredorbit » May 2nd, 2014, 8:48 pm

Head Games wrote:Lastly, I was trying to figure out a way to mark a piece of foam core bored without having a visual marking, I'm trying to figure out some sort of invisible marking that I can put on it to be able to feel it. I was thinking something like super glue gel, but haven't had a chance to play with it. And I am thinking still, that would be visible. (A spectator will be holding the piece of board) so I need to make it so they cant see the marking by mistake.
Thanks!

Elmer's white glue dries clear. I have used it to outline territories on board gsmes (think risk) for visually impaired friends. It's effective and doesn't really bond to the surface of the material. It could be possible in your case to have the markings in place and pull them off the foam core and allow the object to be inspected.

brody

Postby brody » May 2nd, 2014, 9:31 pm

For the foam board, glue a white piece of thread to the board. Even if spotted, it should attract no attention.

You may also be able to put a tiny dot of silicone caulking or hot glue on the surface or maybe even the edge.

For the first problem, you just need a dry erase board with a flap, like the old slates.

Head Games
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby Head Games » May 2nd, 2014, 10:13 pm

brody wrote:For the foam board, glue a white piece of thread to the board. Even if spotted, it should attract no attention.

You may also be able to put a tiny dot of silicone caulking or hot glue on the surface or maybe even the edge.

For the first problem, you just need a dry erase board with a flap, like the old slates.

Hey the silicone is a great idea also! Ill play around with it a bit.

As for the white board that has a flap, is there anything for sale like that? Or a write up to make your own? I can still play with the idea of doing it on a pad of paper (same type of pad used in Comedy Confabulation) Maybe a way to make a paper gimmick of some sort? Or fold the paper and make a flap without there being a crease.. Actually, Maybe I can screw around with the framing and do it with a folded sheet of paper, maybe I can unfold the paper one way to show the first word, and then fold it up, then when I unfold it the 2nd time, it reveals the 2nd word? I wouldn't know where to start..

brody

Postby brody » May 3rd, 2014, 10:58 pm

The slates should be somewhat easy to make.

Step 1: Go to office supply store and buy a dry erase board in a wooden frame. There are several sizes.

Step 2: Go to a metal working shop and have them cut a piece of tin/sheet metal to fit loosely into the dry erase frame.

Step 3: Go to Lowes or Amazon and buy some dry erase paint, and paint the metal flap.

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-241140 ... B000PGBCOC

Step 4: Glue a sheet of newspaper to the BACK of the tin flap.

So, at presentation time, have newspaper spread on table. Show board with flap in place. Lay face down on newspaper...when you pick up the board, the flap stays behind, revealing the "surprize", and can't be spotted since the back blends in with the rest of the newspaper.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”