Exposing mediums

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
El Mystico

Exposing mediums

Postby El Mystico » March 29th, 2014, 9:35 am

Can anyone recommend a good book on exposing modern mediums (John Edwards etc)?
Thanks

Dan Strange

Re: Exposing mediums

Postby Dan Strange » April 11th, 2014, 1:07 pm

John Edwards is a politician with a scandal or two. You probably mean John Edward.

Exposing mediums is typically a publicity move at least as far as I have seen. View it from that angle and what to do should be obvious.

Dan Strange

Postby Dan Strange » April 11th, 2014, 1:07 pm

John Edwards is a politician with a scandal or two. You probably mean John Edward.

Exposing mediums is typically a publicity move at least as far as I have seen. View it from that angle and what to do should be obvious.

Smurf

Postby Smurf » April 11th, 2014, 3:05 pm

John Edwards (the politician, lawyer, etc.) did use channeling so it wouldn't be unfair to include him as well.

" In 1985, a 31-year-old North Carolina lawyer named John Edwards stood before a jury and channeled the words of an unborn baby girl.

Referring to an hour-by-hour record of a fetal heartbeat monitor, Mr. Edwards told the jury: ''She said at 3, 'I'm fine.' She said at 4, 'I'm having a little trouble, but I'm doing O.K.' Five, she said, 'I'm having problems.' At 5:30, she said, 'I need out.' ''

But the obstetrician, he argued in an artful blend of science and passion, failed to heed the call. By waiting 90 more minutes to perform a breech delivery, rather than immediately performing a Caesarean section, Mr. Edwards said, the doctor permanently damaged the girl's brain.

''She speaks to you through me,'' the lawyer went on in his closing argument. ''And I have to tell you right now -- I didn't plan to talk about this -- right now I feel her. I feel her presence. She's inside me, and she's talking to you.''

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » April 13th, 2014, 11:53 am

Thanks, yes, I guess I meant Edward.
But - interesting there seem to be no books on modern mediums, but plenty on the old!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 13th, 2014, 3:40 pm

Mediums Gone Wild!

(the best book on EXPOSING mendiums. Exposing. Get it?)

Tom Pilling

Postby Tom Pilling » April 13th, 2014, 6:30 pm

Possibly time to write one? A good one.

It's a fairly hideous racket.

Diego

Postby Diego » April 13th, 2014, 7:56 pm

I remember the day psychic medium John Edward's TV show went to national syndication, a friend, supportive of skeptic/debunking efforts, called me and wearily noted,
" Kellar, Maskelyne, Rinn, Houdini, Mulholland, Randi...it hasn't meant a thing...."

Go ahead, write a,(another) book.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » April 14th, 2014, 2:09 am

Successful modern day mediums have learned a lot from their predecessors. They no longer rely on the techniques of "physical mediumship" espoused by turn of the century mediums such as Mina Crandon, aka "Margery", aka "The Blonde Witch of Lime Street".

Modern mediums such as John Edward have no need to indulge in such risky artifice as spirit rappings, table tipping, levitations, or that most convincing and disgusting of ruses, the extrusion of "ectoplasm" from various bodily orifices.

The modern medium sticks to "mental mediumship". You know, the talking to the dead routine.
Packs small, plays big.

You cannot expose these modern mediums in the same way that Houdini exposed the likes of Margery. Sure, you can explain what they are doing and how they are doing it - the information gathering and cold reading techniques etc.

It will simply be denied.

No one is ever going to turn the light on in a darkened room, to find John Edward ringing a bell with his toes.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”