Metal Bending and Mentalism Question

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
user_241

Metal Bending and Mentalism Question

Postby user_241 » November 13th, 2013, 3:07 am

Hello fellow magicians!

Since this is my first post, I want to begin with a small introduction of myself. I have been interested in magic ever since I was a kid. However, I've only started to take it seriously in the past two years (i.e. I read books rather than buy tricks and I keep a notebook of ideas now). I love reading and researching. There's something about the process of sourcing and discovering something new that I really enjoy.

I've always been fascinated with mentalism. I've recently been experimenting around with metal bending. More specifically, I wanted give the effect of bending a single fork tine with my mental powers. I went out and bought a bunch of forks from my local dollar store, unfortunately, the tines on these forks were exceptionally hard to bend with just your hands.

Long story short, I tried to think of a way to bend such a "thick" fork if one were given to me. My "aha" moment came when I realized that a large coin would be the perfect gimmick to use in order to bend a fork tine secretly. I've tried it out, and indeed, you get a pretty good bend.

I'm curious to know what, if any, thoughts or suggestions you might have for this method. Do any of you know where such a method may have originated from (I'm assuming I'm not that original and someone must have thought of this before)? Unfortunately, my knowledge in metal bending is rather limited. So if any of you may know the source of a method such as this, I would be very interested to learn about it.

Right now, I feel like I've found a method that I like for bending a fork tine basically anywhere, and any time. I'm still working on the routine though, and how it might be possible to put the bend in the fork invisibly.

On a separate note relating to mentalism, I'm curious to know what is the best way to go about contributing to mentalism literature. The reason I ask is because being relatively new to mentalism (although, I'm not exactly a beginner), I have all these exciting ideas that are probably not that new. Yet a part of me still wants to contribute and write about mentalism. What would you suggest as a good way to go about trying to contribute to the mentalism field?

I look forward hearing from you all and being a part of this forum.

Mike I.

Re: Metal Bending and Mentalism Question

Postby Mike I. » November 25th, 2013, 5:05 pm

As someone who's recently released an ebook, I say the best way to contribute to mentalism literature is to read all you can and avoid redundancy. You may create new methods or new presentations for old, but you won't know they're new until you do your research. Having an older, knowledgeable friend or two helps.

I think you'll find answers to your questions about metal bending by looking at the most popular resources. I choose not to demonstrate metal bending anymore because local magicians do it and I want to set my act apart. If you want to bend heavy metal with your mind, how might you do it if you can't find answers from another performer? You may discover a great new tool.

user_241

Re: Metal Bending and Mentalism Question

Postby user_241 » November 26th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Thanks for your tips! The journey through mentalism is definitely for people with a thirst for knowledge.

I don't really know any experienced mentalists, thus far, my knowledge has really come from books, videos and experimentation.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”