MIXING MAGIC AND MENTALISM

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
francis77
Favorite Magician: Banachek

MIXING MAGIC AND MENTALISM

Postby francis77 » August 29th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Have always been facinated about how mentalism fits into magic.
A thought of card appears in side an orange..a thought of word appears inside a spectators wallet...ask a spectator for his bill lets say 1$ you fold it up and put it in the spectators hand you then proceed to tell the spectator the serial number on the bill you tell the spectator to open his hands and the 1$ bill has changed into the a 5$ you then ask him to think of the serial number on the new billyou succesfully reveal it and with a shake of the 5$ you changed it back to 1$ and hand it back to the spectator.

francis77
Favorite Magician: Banachek

Re: MIXING MAGIC AND MENTALISM

Postby francis77 » August 31st, 2013, 8:16 am

What is you guys take on mixing magic and mentalism

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » September 12th, 2013, 11:37 pm

A magician can do magic and can mix in mental magic as well and doesn't mind if his audience thinks it's all a trick; a mentalist must stick to pretending he would never stoop to performing magic tricks and that his "powers" are real. A mentalist is a magician with attitude. That's my take. Take it or leave it.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » October 6th, 2013, 8:26 am

My heresy is now complete. I have combined magic, mentalism, magik, and witchcraft in my newest release "The Invisible Tarot." I'll call it for what it is... magic TRICKS for use with a GAFFED set of Tarot Cards. That's right, I am selling my soul, cheap, not to the devil, but to anyone who wants to control destiny with realistic, but thoroughly phoney gimmicked Tarot Cards.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Ariel Frailich

Postby Ariel Frailich » November 5th, 2013, 1:30 pm

I wrote a piece about that not long ago. My two cents's worth -- enjoy (or hate :) ) !

http://isawthat.com/4203/mixing-magic-and-mentalism/
I Saw That! Exclusive Magic - http://isawthat.com
Publisher of Sub Rosa, Reading Writing, Card Stories, and other fine magic books

Rick Franceschin

Postby Rick Franceschin » December 18th, 2013, 11:10 pm

A piece of mentalist may lead a spectator to wonder how the mentalist knew, while a piece of magic tends to leave a spectator guessing how the magician did it. How did he know I'd pick the number 77 versus, he must chuck them up his sleeve. Leaving a spectator wondering is far more desirable than them guessing at solutions. We often hybridize mentalism with magic to capture the wondering aspect mentalist tends to offer. Example 1 - A fellow has a card chosen and returned to a packet of five cards. The selected card vanishes and is reversed in the deck, a nice trick. The spectator might venture that maybe the magician slipped it out of the packet after it was returned to the packet and then snuck it into the deck when he wasn't looking. Example 2 - A fellow thinks of one of five cards. The thought card vanishes and is found reversed in the deck. They will fixate on wondering how the magician knew they were thinking of the four of hearts and not how it flew to the tabled deck. This argument is not, of course, absolute, but I think it does explain at least some of the reasoning behind mixing magic and mentalist.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » December 23rd, 2013, 9:46 am

Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki has another approach to the magic/mentalism mix- that of "amazing coincidences." His latest effect in The Wizards' Journal #25 is called "Ultra Coincidental." From a deck of giant (jumbo) cards, one card is selected face down. From two decks (one red backed, one blue) of regular sized playing cards, shuffled by spectators, cards are randomly chosen and placed face down on the jumbo card. One or two spectators gradually eliminate cards until one red and one blue backed card is chosen and clipped to the back of the jumbo card. All three cards are finally revealed and match. If you want an "overkill" ending, people all around the audience open up sealed envelopes containing cards they selected from different backed decks before the show. Every card in every sealed envelope matches. Coincidence, or gigantic scam? The audience can ponder it forever.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

DavidWgls
Favorite Magician: David Blaine

Postby DavidWgls » February 25th, 2014, 6:42 pm

I think a mentalist should concentrate more on the anticipation side rather than the macig one.Also, I think a mentalist should have more inclination to human thinking and psychology and not so much to magic. I'm not saying that you shouldn't combine these two, but should be a limit between them, because too often the people think that the term "mentalist" is the same with "magician".
Learn all about Mentalism and mind tricks.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » February 25th, 2014, 7:17 pm

Here's an opening that my friend Jim Gerrish gave at a recent show where he was hired as a mentalist. He started off giving the audience a talk about the difference between what a magician does and what a mentalist does, then he decided it was better to give an example. First he had a volunteer from the audience take a sheet of aluminum foil and wrap it around his head, which was amusing, but Jim assured them that the reflections of aluminum would keep him from seeing their thoughts. Then he basically did a card trick and had the aluminum protected person select a card, look at it and shuffle it back into the deck.

Jim said, "Now here is a magic trick." He dealt off some cards into a 4 by 4 array of sixteen cards, had the spectator point to a row, then to a column and turned over the card that was in both the row and the column. It was not the card selected by the spectator.

"I had better resort to mentalism," said Jim, and he had the spectator remove the aluminum foil hat and just think of his card. Gradually he revealed what card he was thinking of. Then Jim spread out the deck face down, held his hands over the cards and proceded to remove one card for the spectator to turn over- and it was the selected card.

"That's the difference between a magic trick and mentalism," Jim concluded. "Now does anyone feel the need for some aluminum foil to keep me out of their thoughts for the rest of the show?" Some people actually requested aluminum foil, made hats of it and wore it during the show, which everyone else found hysterically funny. Jim took care not to call on any of the aluminum hat wearers. They were true believers.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

J Christensen

Postby J Christensen » March 3rd, 2014, 10:52 am

If you got powers, you got powers.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”