...and now what is the best ACAAN ?

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: ...and now what is the best ACAAN ?

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 12th, 2011, 9:42 pm

I don't think that Marc Paul, Peter Duffie, Tom Baxter, et al. are "soft-minded dullards."

Please El Harvey, criticize the method if you like, but leave out those who like it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » July 13th, 2011, 1:40 am

Fair enough; though as someone who has gathered jacket blurbs for many books, I'm sure you recognize that they are often more polite gestures than critical assessments. that said, I'd not be at all shocked if someone like Peter Duffie saw something I completely missed. By contrast, I do still suspect the parade of Magic Cafe polyannas, with no comparable claims to authority and achievement, to be motivated either by some weird ACAAN fetish or simply that this is utterly easy to perform relative to, say, how Berglas achieves roughly the same thing.

Stan Willis

Postby Stan Willis » July 13th, 2011, 7:47 am

While it appears on the surface that Tommy does not attack "The Berglas Effects" directly his alter alias's certainly do all of the dirty work for him, unfortuneately for the rest of us a very deceptive practice that is all too common these days in business and in politics.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » July 13th, 2011, 11:13 am

And obviously Peter Duffie, et al., aren't part of that enterprise. So their comments/endorsements -- how they arose, their content -- are of a completely different species than the Magic Cafe's English-as-a-fifth-language acolytes. Duffie remarks simply that "Subtle Scam is essential reading for anyone remotely interested in this thought provoking card problem," and Marc Paul offers the equally restrained ""Tommy has some really great ways of approaching the Any Card At Any Number problem." By contrast, the Magic Cafe's resident upbeat mystical Eastern presence offers that "Subtle Scam was written JUST FOR YOU" (pilfering a Harry Lorayne catch phrase). And on the site, there are at least three threads devoted to it, each dominated by over-the-top praise. However, in an unguarded moment of candor, the most persistent Subtle Scam advocate explains the lack of a video presentation this way: "my experience teachs me that a demo video has only one purpose: To give the possibility to realize the trick without to buy the effect." Of course, if Subtle Scam were as pathbreakingly great as claimed, there would instantly be scores of presentation videos, anyway. There aren't. That there aren't suggest either that Subtle Scam blows, or that a rigorous ethical temperament has overtaken those who have previously broken out their black decks and posted performance videos and ill-advised "tutorials" seemingly within minutes of having downloaded an instructional DVD or pdf.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 13th, 2011, 1:52 pm

On a positive note, the absolute best ACANN (other the Berglas method), is Barrie Richardson's and can be found in his latest book, CURTAIN CALL. It is an impromptu, any deck, any time method that requires no memorization and no difficult sleights.

On a related note, see John Booth's "Cards of Cairo" in MY BEST.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » July 13th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Barrie's method is my second favorite method. My favorite remains J.K. Hartman's Patent Portent. Any card is named. Spectator does the dealing, and the magician does not have to know the number when the spec begins dealing. From that point, it is hands off. As with Barrie's excellent method, Hartman's is impromptu, any deck, any time and is quite easy.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 13th, 2011, 3:01 pm

Steve: what's the reference? Is that in his new book?

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » July 13th, 2011, 3:36 pm

Patent Portent can be found:

Genii Magazine, Dec. 1999; Vol. 62, No. 12 (where the performer does touch the cards).

Also in CARD DUPERY, Hermetic Press, 2007 (where the performer does not touch the cards after the number is called).

T. Baxter

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » July 13th, 2011, 4:56 pm

Author of Card Dupery is Hartman?

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » July 13th, 2011, 6:10 pm

Yes - here's a link:

http://www.hermeticpress.com/product_in ... ucts_id=17

It's well worth working through - many hidden gems.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » July 13th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Thanks to Tom for pointing out the sources and important differences (I was away at the Transformers movie with a kid). Occasionally a spectator will say, "What if I just name a card?" That is usually when I will do Patent Portent.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 14th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Steve: check out the "Cards of Cairo" reference noted above. It is very close in some ways to the Hartman trick.

I used to do a simple variation: control the selected card to the top. Hand the deck to the spectator and tell him to spell any magic word he wants, dealing a card off for each letter.

When he stops, have him turn up the last card to show it's not his card. Now, reassemble the deck (his card is now where you want it). False shuffle the deck and hand it to the spectator. Tell him to say the magic word -- that causes the magic to happen -- then spell it. This time he gets his card.

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » July 14th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Hmm, it's similar in method but different, I think, in effect. I like your spelling variation. Here's another slight variation for either the Hartman trick or the spelling. Control the selected card to second from the top. Now palm off the top card or lap it. Ask for a name. Let's say it's Matilda. Begin thumbing off cards one at a time into a pile. M-A-T-I-L-D ... then pause and say that perhaps it would be more fair if the spec did the dealing. Scoop up the pile (adding the palmed card to the top) and replace all on top. You are now set to find the card at the desired location.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 14th, 2011, 6:23 pm

Steve: even easier--control the card fifth from the top. Ask for a name. You will usually get a 4- or 5-letter name. Spell it. If not, ask another spectator if they like that name or would they like to go with another. Eventually you'll get what you need.

Oli Foster

Postby Oli Foster » July 14th, 2011, 7:37 pm

Easier still: ask the spectator's name when you introduce yourself and, later, control their card to the corresponding position. Then, handing them the cards, ask their name (as though you don't already know it!) and have them spell to it! Doesn't sound quite as clever..

Doc Dixon

Postby Doc Dixon » July 14th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:Steve: even easier--control the card fifth from the top. Ask for a name. You will usually get a 4- or 5-letter name. Spell it. If not, ask another spectator if they like that name or would they like to go with another. Eventually you'll get what you need.

Thank you, Eddie Fields, wherever you are!

DD

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » July 15th, 2011, 2:15 am

Or, have a card selected and control it to 12th position.

False shuffle and cut.

Say that only the worlds greatest magician could find the card now, and ask the spectator who they think is the world's greatest magician. If the answer spells with 12 letters, spell it and the last card is the selection. If it spells with 11, spell and the next card is the selection.

I googled best magician in the world and what do you know, most common answers work:
Harry Houdini 12
Copperfield 11
David Blaine 11
Darren Brown 11
Doug Henning 11
Harry Potter 11
Gandalf (the) grey 11
Siegfried (&) Roy 12
Lance Burton 11
Darren Romeo 11
Juan Tamariz 11
Luis De Matos 11
Paul Daniels 11
Robert-Houdin 12

If it's a ten-letter name like Criss Angel, first show the selection isn't on top or bottom, put those cards aside, and then spell Criss Angel and the next card is the selection. This last out might seem a little fidgety, but if the person thinks Criss Angel is the world's greatest magician it should fly right by them.

Signed,

Pete McCabe (10)

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 15th, 2011, 7:52 am

Pete, that is one great idea. If you ask the question as who is the number one magician in the world, you have an out for CA. You spell Criss Angel, then 1 card for #1 and that gets you to 11.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » July 15th, 2011, 10:17 am

And HARRY LORAYNE - exactly 12 letters! Seriously, I have used that, sort of tongue in cheek, when I wanted to get to the 12th card. Or, HARRY (or MAGIC) to get to the fifth card.

Dick Koornwinder

Postby Dick Koornwinder » July 15th, 2011, 10:25 am

Im not sure but I think it is not a coincidence the 11th card in the Juan Tamariz stack is the Queen of hearts.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » July 15th, 2011, 1:39 pm

"Im not sure but I think it is not a coincidence the 11th card in the Juan Tamariz stack is the Queen of hearts."

Is it? The eleventh card in my stack is also the Queen of Hearts, but its a complete coincindence.

Ian Kendall (10)

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » July 15th, 2011, 4:20 pm

As a general out if the person nominated as best magician spells with something other than 12 or 11 (or 10), you can have the spectator spell "best magician," which has 12 letters.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » July 15th, 2011, 8:35 pm

"Spell Criss Angel and since you think he's number one, deal off one more card." I like that, Bob. It makes it seem that the number of cards dealt off was dependent on what the spectator said.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » July 15th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Just spell angel's real name: 'c-a-m-e-r-a-t-r-i-c-k'.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » July 15th, 2011, 11:51 pm

You're just mad your name has 13 letters.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » July 16th, 2011, 12:17 am

I just make sure my spectator can do a second deal

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » July 16th, 2011, 4:08 am

"Ask for a name. You will usually get a 4- or 5-letter name. Spell it. If not, ask another spectator if they like that name or would they like to go with another. Eventually you'll get what you need."

strong

Nakul Shenoy

Postby Nakul Shenoy » July 16th, 2011, 5:50 am

Got back to the Forum after a couple of years, and the first page f this thread had me in splits.

@ Pete: Thanks a lot for the list of greatest magicians of the world. I now know I have hope :-)

Best,

Nakul
Nakul Shenoy
Bangalore, India.
twitter: @indimagi

Max Krause

Postby Max Krause » July 25th, 2011, 1:29 pm

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would throw my latest offering into the mix as well. Happy to give a Skype demo to anyone who would like to see it.

http://innovativedeceptions.com/?page_i ... duct_id=26

Richard,

The Berglas limited edition is beautiful. You did a wonderful job on it.

Kind regards,
Max

Yiyong

Postby Yiyong » August 1st, 2011, 3:26 pm

Max, is the deck in full view BEFORE the card or number are called?

Max Krause

Postby Max Krause » August 2nd, 2011, 9:36 am

Hi Yiyong,

It is not, nor does it need to be. However, that being said there is a way to perform it where the deck is in view but the only people that care about that are magicians. In the many times I have performed this it has never been an issue. Laypeople just don't care.

Regards,
Max

Yiyong

Postby Yiyong » August 2nd, 2011, 10:06 am

Max Krause wrote:Hi Yiyong,

It is not, nor does it need to be. However, that being said there is a way to perform it where the deck is in view but the only people that care about that are magicians. In the many times I have performed this it has never been an issue. Laypeople just don't care.

Regards,
Max

If it's not, then I'll pass on this one. But thank you for your response.

Yiyong

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 2nd, 2011, 11:11 am

If one reads the Berglas book, you'll see that there have been many times when David has performed the effect when the deck is not in view until after the card and number have been named. The trick seems equally impossible either way.

Only magicians give a crap about things like this, and they generally have a total lack of understanding about the psychology of magic as it applies to performing for laymen and/or magicians.

Yiyong

Postby Yiyong » August 2nd, 2011, 12:34 pm

If the deck is not in full view, I'll assume that multiple decks are used. Since I like to perform without a jacket or bulky pants, this would not be my cup of tea. I'm not into deck switches either. Also, I find that the wording..."I haven't touched the deck....it's been in full view before you named the card and number" has a stronger impact then reaching somewhere to get a deck (i.e. Bob Farmer's version)

My version utilizes a memorized deck but I'm limited with the number. Once the card is called, I ask the spectator to pick a number withing a certain range. If the card is in position 37, I will say..."pick a number between 32 and 42." Depending on the number called, It's then a matter of taking the cards out of the box, leaving 1 to 5 cards inside the box and casually dropping the rest on top of the deck. I also use the Luchen version, but the cards cannot be counted face up.

You might think that I have a total lack of understanding about the psychology of magic, but I would rather play it safely then underestimate laymen.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 2nd, 2011, 12:51 pm

If you overtly limit the range of numbers that the spectator can name, then you might as well not do the trick.

What does multiple decks get you in performing this effect? You can't possibly have enough decks in your pockets to make a difference. And you're talking like a magician. Do you only perform for magicians? If so, then who cares. If you perform for layment, they don't think you have 52 decks in your pockets. The more they think about that the more impressive it gets.

Yiyong

Postby Yiyong » August 2nd, 2011, 2:56 pm

If Carlos Vaquera performed it on Le Plus Grand Cabaret

http://www.virtualmagie.com/ubbthreads/ ... /260042/51

then it's good enough for me!

Yiyong

Postby Yiyong » August 2nd, 2011, 4:25 pm

The performance starts at 3:01 on the second video. Enjoy!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 2nd, 2011, 4:42 pm

Since I don't understand French, I have no idea what he was saying and when, but there are parts of the method that can be seen.

Max Krause

Postby Max Krause » August 2nd, 2011, 6:02 pm

Yiyong wrote:If the deck is not in full view, I'll assume that multiple decks are used. Since I like to perform without a jacket or bulky pants, this would not be my cup of tea. I'm not into deck switches either. Also, I find that the wording..."I haven't touched the deck....it's been in full view before you named the card and number" has a stronger impact then reaching somewhere to get a deck (i.e. Bob Farmer's version)

My version utilizes a memorized deck but I'm limited with the number. Once the card is called, I ask the spectator to pick a number withing a certain range. If the card is in position 37, I will say..."pick a number between 32 and 42." Depending on the number called, It's then a matter of taking the cards out of the box, leaving 1 to 5 cards inside the box and casually dropping the rest on top of the deck. I also use the Luchen version, but the cards cannot be counted face up.

You might think that I have a total lack of understanding about the psychology of magic, but I would rather play it safely then underestimate laymen.

Interestingly enough it is currently 105 degrees in AZ where I live. I have no problem concealing what is necessary to perform the effect and furthermore I subscribe to the philosophy that I will go to any length necessary to bring about the maximum impact on any effect I perform. Solutions are always our there for the creative mind and for those who aren't creative all you have to do is ask.

Bottom line, don't discard great things before you try them in the real world. Limiting a spectators selection is not ACAAN it is ACFWIDYCCF Any card from wherever I decide you can choose from. I will take the former over the latter for the little extra work. :)

Best regards,
Max

Yiyong

Postby Yiyong » August 2nd, 2011, 7:52 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Since I don't understand French, I have no idea what he was saying and when, but there are parts of the method that can be seen.

I agree. But I use the Flip Shift! :)

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”