New ESP Deck (MK-MOD)

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Ted

New ESP Deck (MK-MOD)

Postby Ted » August 25th, 2010, 11:56 am

Hi all,

Next summer (2011) I'll be launching a few interesting routines and products. One of these is a new marked and unmarked ESP deck (one package, two decks) called MK-MOD. I've used the usual options available, including the Royal, Vernet and Beyond ESP, and I know that there are issues for some people with all of them. I also happen to think that they are fine, but believe that there's room for one or two alternatives.

I know that it's impossible to please everyone, but I'd like to ask what your requisites are for the perfect marked/unmarked ESP deck. You might care about some or all of the following:

1. Marking position
2. Marking size (for poor eyesight)
3. Plainness of card back
4. Card size
5. Card feel (glossy, air-cushioned, rough)
6. Mono or coloured symbols?
7. Extra gaff cards (e.g double-faced/backed)
8. Posh or plain box
9. Theme. (I'm going for a Ministry of Defence theme, which is going to be rather austere. Hence the project's working title of MK-MOD)

I'd love to hear your opinions (even those of the "don't bother" variety), and if there is a must-have not listed above please let me know. There's a high chance I'll incorporate your ideas into the finished item. And just maybe there will be some freebies floating around later

The result will be printed by one of the world's major playing card printers and supplied with a full routine that can be used with either marked or unmarked cards. It's called ESPsycrets, more of which later

If you want to know when the deck is officially launched the best option is to watch this thread and/or sign up to my super-low-volume mailing list at http://mind.hak.me/news/. The MK-MOD deck will be available from http://mind.hak.me/products/mk-mod/ when it is launched.

Look forward to reading your thoughts!
Cheers,
T.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Re: New ESP Deck (MK-MOD)

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » August 25th, 2010, 3:20 pm

Ted, you might check out www.jeffpiercemagic.com

Jeff

Ted

Postby Ted » August 25th, 2010, 3:47 pm

Hi Jeff,

Those are regular Royal cards plus some gaffs? The box looks great.

Cheers,
T.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » August 25th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Yes, Royal Esp Cards plus 2 gaffs and case.

Jeff

Ted

Postby Ted » September 2nd, 2010, 6:05 pm

I think this will be the last update before the cards are produced. Here's the plan...

One MK-MOD package will contain the following:
  • 1x cardboard tuckbox with a plain M.O.D. design (white box, black text, no irrelevant details such as copyright notices). This can hold all of the cards below.
  • 1x 25-card ESP deck, unmarked
  • 1x 25-card ESP deck, same design as above but clearly marked (top-left corner view)
  • 6x gaff cards (including five double-faced and one double-backed).
    The double-faced cards will allow performance of The Third Choice and other envelope-based prediction effects. To be specific you can use some of these cards to force a symbol and use others to provide an out where the spectator has a genuinely free choice)

I can provide additional tuckboxes (of the same design) for a small extra charge.

If there is demonstrable demand (i.e. these things jump off the shelves) I will provide other tuckbox designs and gaff card sets.

I'll produce 1,000 kits initially. These will be available directly from my website for now. If there's enough demand I'll also release through the dealers. I want these cards to become a standard option and not a weird collector's item.

The price for the full kit is still to be confirmed but be assured that it will compete with existing products.

I expect to instruct the printing company to begin work within the next two weeks. If you have anything you want to add please speak now or wait for the next release!

Cheers,
T.

Ted

Postby Ted » October 13th, 2010, 8:00 am

Well, we've finally reached a point where we can take pre-orders. I expect to start sending out the cards and books in November. Why pre-order? How about a 30 per cent discount on a special pre-order bundle deal (which includes a copy of ESPsycrets, a book called Test Card and the ESP decks)?

All you need to know: http://mind.hak.me/products/mk-mod/

If there's anything else you need to know, let me know

T.

Ted

Postby Ted » October 21st, 2010, 5:34 am

UPDATE: All of the books (Test Card and ESPsycrets) are now being shipped to us and the ESP cards themselves are being printed by Fournier as I write this. It looks like we'll be able to deliver a little earlier than we'd hoped.

This good news also means that the special pre-order offer will most likely only have a week or so left to run.

If you still have not pre-ordered you can do so at http://mind.hak.me/products/mk-mod/. Just make sure you choose the 'Pre-order bundle deal' to get both books and the cards for a massive 30 per cent discount.

T.

Ted

Postby Ted » November 26th, 2010, 5:50 am

The MK-MOD pre-order bundle deal period has now expired.

Without wanting to tempt fate, we're expecting delivery of the cards today. As soon as they arrive we'll send them out, along with the books.

Best wishes,
T.

Ted

Postby Ted » November 30th, 2010, 7:56 am

We have just received delivery of the MK-MOD cards. All pre-orders will be processed first. All existing orders will be fulfilled this week.

The cards are of an excellent quality. They have a smooth finish, for extra authenticity, and the packaging is excellent.

The pricing on the website may look different to that published yesterday. All that's changed is now P&P for UK customers is included in the main price. This just makes it easier for us to calculate P&P for non-UK buyers. The actual prices have not changed.

Thanks for your patience, everyone. This has taken ages to arrange but the results are definitely worth it!

Cheers,
T.

Ted

Postby Ted » January 7th, 2011, 4:54 am

I have uploaded a free sample of the Test Card manual that optionally accompanies the MK-MOD ESP testing cards. You can find it at: http://mind.hak.me/products/mk-mod/sample.pdf

This includes the contents page, which lists the main effects (there are one or two extra effects embedded in the chapters), as well as the foreword.

Happy New Year everyone.
T.

Ted

Postby Ted » January 12th, 2011, 5:47 pm

You've all been remarkably quiet regarding this release! Hopefully I've heard from interested parties via email, although it's hard to tell because I never ask how people find out about my products.

Anyway, as there's not been any feedback from customers here I hope it's OK to add a link to a review on another site. I appreciate this is not normally the done thing but hopefully someone will find the information useful.

The review I'm highlighting is on TalkMagic at:
http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ftopic37833.php

Comments include,

"this is probably the best ESP marking system that I've seen,"

"The accompanying book, Test Card, is excellent", and

"Unreservedly recommended... 10/10"

Well, I could not have put it better myself. I hope that this information is both interesting and useful.

Best wishes to all,
T.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 13th, 2011, 9:35 am

Seems a good idea - especiallly for that old Ken Brooke trick where you give them six cards and do a matching.

Best of luck with your product. -J
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 13th, 2011, 11:26 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Seems a good idea - especiallly for that old Ken Brooke trick where you give them six cards and do a matching.

Wasn't that Barry Stevenson's CID?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 13th, 2011, 11:38 am

Yes, almost seems a natural use for the props.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Ted

Postby Ted » January 13th, 2011, 2:34 pm

I don't have that/those in my library. Any pointers would be very welcome.
T.

Ted

Postby Ted » March 8th, 2011, 4:27 am

Jheff has posted a review of the MK-MOD cards, the Test Card book. He has also reviewed an additional ESP card routine I've produced called ESPsycrets.

ESPsycrets is specifically designed for those who want to concentrate on building a good presentation without worrying about sleights etc. In other words it's ideal for beginners, although the effect is certainly strong enough for professionals.

Cheers,
T.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”