Best “Book Test”…

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Dick Christian

Re: Best “Book Test”…

Postby Dick Christian » July 31st, 2010, 2:40 am

For those who are aware of my particular interest in the genre it will come as no surprise to learn that Gregs Triple Threat book test has been in my collection since it was originally published in his 1997 booklet Mind Set #1. As he has noted it offers the advantage, as he says, of being done with legitimate ungaffed books which could, should the performer wish to do so, be given away to the participating spectator(s) at the conclusion of the routine. Although the principle methodologies involved are not original in themselves, he has cleverly adapted them for this test in a manner that serves to very effectively disguise their application (and properly credited his sources). It would certainly be a worthy addition to any working performers arsenal.
Dick Christian

Hellion

Postby Hellion » August 14th, 2010, 12:19 pm

Definitely. Brilliant idea:)

Hellion

decomposed

Postby decomposed » January 10th, 2011, 12:43 am

Im looking for a copy of WTYM Mini Book of Quotes if anyone has one for sale. I own AREA, MOABT, Reflections, WIAM and many others but Wtym has beyond my reach and the creator has not been located. Thanks....
Be kind to people and magicians.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » February 3rd, 2011, 9:37 am

Dick, what can you tell me about the book test "Rising to any Occasion" by Ken Klosterman?

Jeff

Dick Christian

Postby Dick Christian » February 3rd, 2011, 12:12 pm

Jeff

As you suspected, I have Rising to Any Occasion. Originally published in the 1970s as a limited edition of only 200 copies, IMO it is primarily of interest to collectors these days; however, although there are more recent book tests that I consider superior, it remains a workable effect that when properly presented will prove quite deceptive. It uses a single (hardcover) book of genuine recipes by actual Chefs de Cusine with anywhere from 2 to 4 recipes (an average of 2) per page with no repeats on any pair of facing pages. A spectator opens the book to any page and selects one of the recipes and chooses a word in the last line of the chosen recipe. After making one or two statements, the performer is able to not only reveal the chosen word but the entire last line of the selected recipe.

The performer does not have to handle the book at any time. The page and recipe are truly chosen at random. The book will pass a cursory examination BEFORE the effect but should not be left in the hands of the participating spectator afterward. The method dates from the 1930s, so is not original with Mr. Klosterman although he has effectively adapted it for use in this effect.

(If you are the same person I know by another name on the Magic Cafe and who prefers books he can carry in his pocket, then RTAO is probably NOT for you.)

Dick
Dick Christian

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » February 3rd, 2011, 1:12 pm

Hi Dick, thanks for the info. No that's not me from the Cafe but I did just pick this up for my collection.

Jeff Pierce

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”