Stunners plus.

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Re: Stunners plus.

Postby Guest » November 5th, 2002, 8:07 am

Thanks
I also have the 2000 lecture.
I have all your tapes (standing.. the 6.5 tapes plus the Stevens tape)
I have the book test. Gravity case...
I think that I supported you
<grin> <red><grin>
What else do I need to buy?

(Do you have some special deals with the Berglas book?? ;)

Postby Guest » November 5th, 2002, 8:51 am

Originally posted by Larry Becker:
Hanan, don't forget my offer applies to you as well. It'll cost you nothing to update your copy of "Stunners." I'm in London too often to take a chance of being run over my a bus.
<grin> <grin>
You'd have to wait a couple of days for one to come by. :D

Postby Guest » November 5th, 2002, 9:36 am

My favorite skittles are the red ones.
:D

Postby Guest » November 5th, 2002, 3:22 pm

Originally posted by Larry Becker:
I believe I have a possible solution for supplying the additional material contained in Stunners Plus at no additional cost.
A classy act!

Just bought a copy online.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » November 5th, 2002, 4:12 pm

I'm a late-comer to reading the "hot tangles" of the "threads" regarding Larry Becker's book(s). Putting aside specific issues and contentious points, an aspect of this KIND OF FORUM, which does not occur in real-time simultaneity or in a place where participants can "connect" vis-a-vis, probably accounts for the RAWNESS of the exchanges. So what? This is what generates the vital heat. This is what adds emotional "spikes," revealing (along the way) inherent pitfalls of language usage. Nevertheless, if everyone stays the course, squabbling to the bittersweet end, continually clarifying and refining what they say and how they say, iotas of truth will eventually permeate the ongoing discourse. This is a good thing. Where else can we "vent" in impolite, spontaneous, gut-level ways with the VERY AUTHORS of books we may question or argue about in private? Where else can we aim our brickbats or bouquets?

I have Larry's STUNNERS and found it a useful, valuable and stimulating book. Also, I seldom equate these kinds of values with a specific price tag. (Heck, the new Berglas book is $150. So was Lorayne's last book.)

Once ANY book has been released, the "work" may eventually undergo many changes, reappearing in different forms. For example, remember when the Mark Wilson Course was originally released under special auspices, conditions, and at a premium price? At the time, I bought the course and found much value therein. It was worth the money. Besides, I was supporting the Cause. Later, alas, it was released as an excellent hardcover book, its price much less than the original. Much later, it was remaindered for "a song." Still later, even cheaper editions (paper)were released, printed in China. To me, however, the intrinsic value remains the same. Not only that, I bought all of the editions.

Example #2: I also paid big bucks for an original Sharpe-Fischer edition of Hofsinzer's Card Magic. ($200) When Fulves published a reprint for $50 (with added stuff), I bought that edition. Later, Dover put it out at a dirt cheap price. I bought six versions of the same work.

So it goes...

Bottom line for me: I'm always grateful when magicians such as Larry Becker takes the time and trouble to create books for me to save, savor, and enjoy.
I'll buy such books in any form, including reprints...

Onward...

Postby Guest » November 5th, 2002, 10:53 pm

But you just read the books.
We try to use the stuff to do shows.
Limited edition will keep me apart from
the people who didn't pay 250$
(Not anymore)

Maxim

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » November 6th, 2002, 12:34 am

Well Hanan,
If you are only buying the books for material to use in shows you should be well able to purchase all these books or else you need to increase your fees. :)

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2002, 4:55 am

You pay 250$ for a book and you can use
only one effect from there.
The good marketing makes it 250$ while it is
a 50$ only stuff.
The Berglas book is 150$ with 10,0004 stuff inside.
Berglas is for the pros.
Becker is for the magic club.

I am goging back to Israel.
They get very high fees over there for a mentalisem show.
I have some problems driving the worng side of the road. ( and I am a bus driver ;) )

Maxim

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2002, 6:52 am

I'd just like to say that there have been some jabs at Larry in regards to integrity, and having been in contact with Larry when I first began getting into mentalism, I can honestly say that I've found him to be nothing less than cordial and extremely helpful, even going so far as to send me things to assist me, even to his own loss.
Rick

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » November 6th, 2002, 9:51 am

Still waiting for the people who continue to criticize Mr. Becker to explain what exactly it was he said in his adverts for the original Stunners that he is being accused of going back on.

Still waiting.

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » November 6th, 2002, 10:34 am

Just as well practice while you're waiting, Pete. You could probably memorize three or four stacks and the entire text of Ottakar Fischer's Kartenkuenste and Zauberkuenste in the meantime. Wouldn't that be something?

L-

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2002, 11:06 am

I would appreciate members contacting me offline by e-mail: lbecker4@cox.net.

I've had difficulty answering individual posts because of the diversity of messages. Hanan in particular, e-mail me separate from the forum.

I promise to respond to anyone who cares to e-mail me. But this forum is not the place to talk. For those who would prefer to speak with me, the phone number is (480) 488-0980.

Thank you.

Craig Matsuoka

Postby Craig Matsuoka » November 6th, 2002, 11:11 am

If any of you out there in GeniiForumland own the first editions of Stunners (hard and softcover), boy - has Larry got a deal for you! I'd contact him ASAP.

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » November 6th, 2002, 11:55 am

Pete baby - relax. Are you his mother or what? As Mr. Becker has stated, this has now left this forum and is being handled on an individual basis. Thanks for your concern, however.

DB

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2002, 12:17 pm

I have great respect for Larry Becker. Some of his material is great... certainly not just for the magic club. I just read this entire thread start to finish. What is lacking is what someone asked for... the original copy of the ad for Stunners. The heart of this controvery is what claims were specifically made and have they been violated? Until that is addressed, the rest is just a lot of rhetoric.
I will not condemn or condone Becker's actions in this case, but I agree that he is a brilliant creator of mental routines and never before have I heard his ethics criticised.
In short.... where's the beef?
Dennis Loomis
http://www.dennisloomis.com/dai.html

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2002, 12:25 pm

I agree with all of you. And I just ADORE those little smiley face thingies. :cool:

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 6th, 2002, 1:45 pm

I hate those smiley face thingies and avoid them like the plague. :p

By the way, I just checked my original hard-backed copy of "Stunners" and the date is 1992! After 10 years, I certainly don't feel Larry Becker has let any of the original purchasers down in any way.

Matt Field

pduffie

Postby pduffie » November 6th, 2002, 2:00 pm

He hasn't let me down because I've just ordered a copy!

Now, how do you add these smiley faces??

Best Wishes

Peter

Postby Guest » November 8th, 2002, 10:24 am

Thanks! The King has left the bulding!

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 3:26 pm

I now have in front of me a copy of the Original ad for Stunners. It appeared in the November 1992 issue of the Linking Ring on pages 14 and 15.
I also have copies of the Ads that Larry mailed out in 1993 and 1996 selling the other editions.
Despite what was claimed on this forum, there is absolutely nothing in the ad to suggest that the book will not be reprinted or re-issued.
All of the ads contain the following wording:
The price of "Stunners" reflects the incomparable quality and value of the material it contains. Nothing has been held back. And, at this price, you don't have to worry about curiosity seekers.
The price was $235.00 plus $10.00 postage. I don't think that the fact that four years later he released a soft bound edition or that currently he's selling an expanded edition was unethical in any way.
Dennis Loomis
http://www.mindspring.com/~deloomis/dai.html

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 6:26 pm

Parsing aside, "limited edition" certaily connotates,if not specifically denoting, "uniquenes", "specificty". To magicians, with limited reserves it suggests an investment in a someday-to-be-classec. I don't think changing the furniture on the deck of the ship changes the ship. Oh, the second edition had a different color, or a softer cover, or no color- or cover-- at all-so what? Only in the world of genuine Bibliophiles does that matter. Magic collecting is a different type collector.
Since this was done heavily through the mails, I would not want to be Lary B. having sleepless nights wondering about Federal Mail problems and accusations. Larry, send them another book; their good-will is VERY worthwhile. Martin J

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 7:12 pm

Parsing aside, "limited edition" certaily connotates,if not specifically denoting, "uniquenes", "specificty". To magicians, with limited reserves it suggests an investment in a someday-to-be-classec. I don't think changing the furniture on the deck of the ship changes the ship. Oh, the second edition had a different color, or a softer cover, or no color- or cover-- at all-so what? Only in the world of genuine Bibliophiles does that matter. Magic collecting is a different type collector.
Since this was done heavily through the mails, I would not want to be Lary B. having sleepless nights wondering about Federal Mail problems and accusations. Larry, send them another book; their good-will is VERY worthwhile. Martin J
Martin, I beg to differ. The term "edition" to me suggests that there will be future print runs. First Edition, second edition, etc. This was a limited edition for collectors in that it was hard bound. I believe that Stunners, in all of it's incarnations has become a "Classic." And, like "Moby Dick" and other classics is has been reprinted. And I think the insinuation that this may have been mail fraud is ridiculous. The phrase: "Limited Collectors Edition" is neither a legal representation or an ethical promise that the book will not be reprinted. I can't see a Federal Prosecutor ever taking such a thing to court with the expectation that he can prove fraud.
Incidently, I want you to know that while I do know Larry Becker, I am not a close friend, and I certainly have no financial stake in his business.
These forums are easy to post to, but to go back to what I said earlier: "Where's the beef?"
Dennis Loomis

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 11:44 pm

Just in on November 20, 2002, Larry Becker wrote:

"Mentalism 101 is an excellent mental effect. This is a welcome departure from the truncated, one page instructions that usually accompany dealer items. I compliment you on the very thorough and professional manner that you employed in preparing and packaging Mentalism 101."

This was found in http://www.mindspring.com/~deloomis/dai.html

The king has left the forum..

Postby Guest » November 21st, 2002, 9:36 pm

Aside from what appears to be an attempt at an inflamatory comparison your posting has no bearing on this thread what so ever. In fact I think that at this point perhaps the best thing to do would be to call it closed. Everyone seems to be finished with it now.

Larry Becker has gone far out of his way to ensure that EVERYONE has been made happy which is far more than most authors or dealers would ever do. (Not to mention any name Mr. J. B. but you could take an example from this). Larry Becker has shown that he is a mensch, a caring individual, a sharing individual and more. Truly, what more could anyone post except for someone trying to stir up another pot which is what it seems you are tring to do once more. Let's close this now!

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/ABstagecraft

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2002, 10:58 am

Paul, I agree, but to clarify: Larry Becker wrote that review of one of my products BEFORE I posted my last message to this thread. There is no linkage. My defense of Larry would have been exactly the same if he did not find value in my effect.
If any of the purchasers of Mentalism 101 do not feel they receive value for their dollar, I'll refund the money, no questions asked.
Dennis Loomis

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » November 26th, 2002, 9:40 am

Originally posted by Paul Alberstat:
(Not to mention any name Mr. J. B. but you could take an example from this). Larry Becker has shown that he is a mensch, a caring individual, a sharing individual and more
Hey, Paul! Whilst I appreciate you might not want to 'name names', using initials could lead to misunderstandings... I hope you're not referring to me in the above comment!

Jamie Badman.

P.S. I know, I know - you're referring to John Bannon - but what's he ever done to you ?!

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2002, 2:02 pm

Originally posted by Jamie Badman:
P.S. I know, I know - you're referring to John Bannon - but what's he ever done to you ?!
Oh, I thought J.B. was Bond -- James Bond.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”