Robert Nelson's Sensational Mentalism

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Robert Nelson's Sensational Mentalism

Postby Sam Kesler » February 14th, 2006, 4:08 pm

I am interested in learning more about these series of four "classic" books on mentalism by Robert Nelson.

What kind of material? What do you think of the material? Is the material dated or do they play in today's trenches? Is there much mental effects using playing cards?

Thanks in advance.

Doug Dyment

Re: Robert Nelson's Sensational Mentalism

Postby Doug Dyment » February 15th, 2006, 9:40 am

Lots of good material can be found in Nelson's four-volume Sensational Mentalism series. Much is by Nelson himself, of course, but there are plenty of contributions from the likes of Al Mann, Bob Tripp, Steven Minch, Jack Dean, Syd Bergson, Bob Mason, Arthur Setterington, Phil Goldstein, Bob Parrish, etc.

There is very little with playing cards.

Methods are never dated, so I see no reason why these effects wouldn't play as well as they ever did (unlike, say, Nelson's many books on readings, where although the methodologies are fine, the readings themselves are quite dated).

Volume 4 is probably the best of the set, so you might want to get that one first, and see if the material appeals to you.
... Doug :: Proprietor of The Deceptionary

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » February 15th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Thanks for the info, Doug. I will definetely check them out, especially number 4.

Mr. Stickley

Postby Mr. Stickley » February 15th, 2006, 3:47 pm

The Nelson stuff seems to be rather hard to find these days. I do know that Denny and Lee carry's a lot of it.

Keith

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2006, 10:03 pm

The "Sensational Mentalism" series, and in fact all of Nelson's books and manuscripts, can now all be bought, from (Micky) Hades Publications in Canada, who bought the rights to Nelson's publications, when Nelson retired his retail business.

Volume#4, was actually put together by Micky Hades....ironic that is has contributions from both Robert Nelson and Burling Hull.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”