Penomenon, good trick?

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Ravi

Penomenon, good trick?

Postby Ravi » May 5th, 2002, 2:16 pm

Does anybody of you own the new trick "Penomenon".The desciption sounds great but does it meet the expectations?
Any help would be great, thanks! :confused:

Adam Brooks

Re: Penomenon, good trick?

Postby Adam Brooks » May 5th, 2002, 2:24 pm

Here's the review I posted on the KJ Magic Board yesterday:

--------------
Ok folks, here we go:

I received Penomenon in the mail today.

First off, I think it's worth pointing out that everything that is said about this thing is true, i.e. no threads or magnets, no blowing, etc. The ad is entirely true. You can even use a borrowed pen.
So, what in the world could make this thing work...the guy who came up with this thing, J. Mirage, says he's been performing this for 10 years, and it has never once ceased to blow people away (as any good psychokenetic effect should). And I give credit where credit is due, this guy figured out a real way to make a pen move without resorting to "common trickery".

The idea he uses is not new; in fact, I'm willing to bet almost every single person on this board has thought of it at some point, just not in the way
Mirage did.

As to whether it's worth buying, well, let's see: use almost any pen, can be performed whenever you have a pen and a flat, smooth surface, and there's
absolutely no gimmick to be found. From a magic standpoint, it really doesn't get much better than this.

However, there is a downside. If you buy this, you will have to experiment a lot. I've been playing with it all afternoon, and truth be told, I haven't gotten it to work yet. I know it sounds strange, however, it's one of those things, where once you get it, you will have a sure-fire knockout.

If you have other questions, you know where to find me.
---------------

Adam

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2002, 5:34 am

Here's the deal:
I got it working...and it's utterly mystifying. It even makes ME feel like I have psychic powers. My only regret is that every professional will be using it soon.

Robert McDaniel

Postby Robert McDaniel » May 7th, 2002, 12:51 pm

I think it's worth the money - no question. I got it to work in a limited fashion in a few minutes and it looks like real magic. But, it will take practice to be able to control it and "blow people away". My only objection is that there is a procedure you must perform just prior to the trick that you can't do in front of the audience without giving the method away. Any thoughts on how to get around this?

Robert McDaniel

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2002, 7:33 pm

Use it as an opener. You can do your procedure and wait up to 20 seconds before setting the pen down.

ADG

Postby ADG » May 9th, 2002, 6:00 pm

Adam, Chris, Robert,.....who sells this item(penomenon) and where did you see it advertised? The only one that I'm familiar with is the Banachek Bic Pen.
Thanks,
Alex

Robert McDaniel

Postby Robert McDaniel » May 9th, 2002, 6:47 pm

I bought it from Hank Lee's Magic Factory (www.magicfact.com), although I'm sure other dealers have it like www.magicsmith.com. You're buying the secret here, you know - no gimmicks.

Robert McDaniel

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » May 11th, 2002, 7:26 am

Murphy's now carries it so 99.9% of magic dealers have access to it. I picked one up at Mind Over Magic the other day and it is sweet. It didn't take long to get the knack. The real key is coming up with a decent presentation since the effect looks so strong.

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » June 6th, 2002, 9:29 pm

I just made a post in the general section about this. Mark Allen has invented a charger it is called the E.M. Pocket Charger, you pull the pen out of your pocket and you are ready to rock. And I mean every time, your fingers can even be up to 3 inches away. I am freaking people out with this thing, I freaked myself out with it the first time I did it. Last night I had a couple of magicians come ito one of the clubs I work and they new penominon and had no clue they thaught I was using a diffent method like magnets or something because the animation is so strong., We have discovered other really awsome uses with the E.M Pocket Charger Like making sewing thread dance, move objects with other objects. I have not been this excited about a magic product in a long time, this is absolutely genious. :eek:

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » June 6th, 2002, 9:31 pm

Oh real quick to let you know the only procedure to do is pull it out and do it, it is also an instant reset hehe thaught you would like to know. The E.M. Pocket charger ROCKS!!!

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » June 8th, 2002, 1:40 am

I discovered I can for the third phase of my routine for this efftect I can snap my fingers around the spectator and " let them expierince pk for them selves" and let them move the pen. it absolutely devistated a girl tonight. she FREAKED OUT. I Love this thing wooweee

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 8th, 2002, 11:24 am

All right , so where does one get a pocket charger??

Bill Mullins

Postby Guest » June 8th, 2002, 1:03 pm

Can I still perform tricks if I buy the E.M Pocket Charger only (without Penomenon)?

Robert McDaniel

Postby Robert McDaniel » June 8th, 2002, 5:50 pm

On another thread, I posted that you can buy the E.M. Pocket Charger at www.magicsmith.com. There's an ad on their web site. It's $25. I imagine that it will be available elsewhere, too. I don't know anything about it other than what Reed has posted, but I believe it will work with other pens. But the one you get with "Penomenon" is perfect. And it seems like we should buy J. Mirage's trick if we're going to be performing it.

Robert M

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » June 8th, 2002, 8:57 pm

Mark and I are hard at work trying to get all of the orders out. email me at Reed@reedmcclintock.com. I will say that you can do some really cool stuff with the charger, but You must buy penomenon in order to know how this works. Mark did not give the instructions for this. J. Mirage's trick is awsome and we are very adimate about selling his trick and marks E.M Charger as an accessorie to it. This charger is steroids 10 times over to Penomenon. There is an awful lot of stuff you can do with the charger.

James Harrison

Postby James Harrison » June 19th, 2002, 9:26 am

There are other things the Charger would work for, but I think posting what items would work with would be exposure.

Let me know otherwise.

David Prouty

Postby David Prouty » June 27th, 2002, 6:16 am

Now about this E.M.Pocket Charger, what kind of pockets are we talking about? I rarely wear a coat. With the climate in Houston, hardly anybody ever wears coats. Bussiness casual is by far the most common attire. Is the E.M. Pocket Charger functional w/ kahkis or jeans? Or does the "Pocket" in Pocket Charger refer to a coat or suit pocket?

Robert McDaniel

Postby Robert McDaniel » June 27th, 2002, 6:43 am

You can put it in your pants or shorts pocket. It's not bulky at all.

Robert M

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » July 1st, 2002, 4:37 am

Like many others, i found that the first time that pen moves, you may feel the need to change your trousers.

Robert McDaniel

Postby Robert McDaniel » July 1st, 2002, 6:13 am

One last idea on this... somebody wrote to me and mentioned that if you swipe the pen just once with your shirt tail (or whatever) it gets fully charged. This is a good tip in case the pocket charger does not work for some reason. This happened to me yesterday. I pulled out the pen from my pocket (charger) and it only moved a little bit. "Oh, I think the pen must be dirty." Swipe. Then it worked like a champ. Not an ideal solution but a back-up in case of failure.

Robert M

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2002, 8:39 am

Robert - It works right? GREAT!

I just received my EPMC......not that "powerful", sometime it doesn't move at all. That "3 inches" away kind of thing, doesn't seems to work. Any advise?

S.L.

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » July 1st, 2002, 8:44 am

One thought, local humidity levels may effect the way Static effects objects

Robert McDaniel

Postby Robert McDaniel » July 1st, 2002, 9:40 am

You'll have to ask Reed about the 3" claim, Sean. I haven't been able to get the pen to move unless my hands are within an inch or less. I do know that the ligher the object the farther away you can be. And, yes, Dale is right about the humidity factor.

I'm no expert on this thing, but when you take the pen out of the charger in your pocket, make sure you don't bump into anything. And I was thinking that maybe squeezing the charger as the pen is removed would help increase the charge.

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2002, 9:47 am

Thanks! I'm still waiting for Reed reply in another thread. ;)

S.L.

tboehnlein

Postby tboehnlein » July 1st, 2002, 9:52 am

With the em charger I get a distance of about about 3-5 inches, it adds alot & I am very happy with the results.

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2002, 9:54 am

Tom - Whats your secret? Whats the type of pen u use?

tboehnlein

Postby tboehnlein » July 1st, 2002, 12:59 pm

A BIC disposable, when I lay it down I make sure it does not come to near the rest of my hand, additionally I make sure when removing the pen from the em charger it is done quickly. Hope this helps.

M. Sibbernsen

Postby M. Sibbernsen » July 1st, 2002, 5:02 pm

As stated before, local and daily humidity changes will greatly effect your success with the product, whether you use the EMPC or not. This accounts more for the grand successes and disappointing failures than pen type or handling.

The effect is certainly worth the experimentation, and wait for the "right day". Unfortunately the unreliability of of the product makes this a difficult piece for the workers. I will say, just wait until winter, and expect exceptional results.

For those with the EMPC, be sure to try out the Straw variation. I also have a very nice (and different) "Psychokinetic Straw" effect for anyone interested. Please email me privately about this.

On a related note, I humbly suggest my own "Pivot Pen" effect available from YFD or directly from me. Slightly different effect than Penomenon, and a much different method. See here for details... Pivot Pen

Best in Magic,

Michael Sibbernsen

tboehnlein

Postby tboehnlein » July 1st, 2002, 6:24 pm

Honestly I live In cincinnati, ohio extremely high humidty& I am still getting good results but my skin is dry which has a direct effect on the movement

James Harrison

Postby James Harrison » July 2nd, 2002, 7:02 am

Humidity affects the trick alot!

I tried to do it the other night, and ended looking silly, it was outside and I was sweating, (should of done it in air conditioning)

So, moisture in the air will affect how well you do the trick.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”