Harkey's Bonfire

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Harkey's Bonfire

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2002, 11:57 am

In another thread someone mentioned David Harkey's Bonfire from the book Ah-Ha! I've been having trouble finding the "ingredients" for the effect. There is no listing for chemists in the New York City yellow pages and searching on the internet has only confused me. Is anyone performing this effect who might know the easiest way to obtain the necessary supplies?
THanks,
Farina

Ian Richards

Re: Harkey's Bonfire

Postby Ian Richards » August 23rd, 2002, 12:19 pm

Although I do not specifically know what chemicals you need, most standard chemicals can be purchased through scientific laboratory supply companies. Most of these types of companies have catalogs on the internet.

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2002, 5:43 pm

You can access them through: http://www.tri-esssciences.com OR

http://www.springfieldsci.com/

Just be aware that secret govt. agents may keep an eye on you considering what you order. :cool:

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 23rd, 2002, 7:25 pm

Farina, if you buy the chemicals and injure yourself or anyone else, neither I, nor The Genii Corporation, bear any responsibility whatsoever for your actions.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2002, 10:24 pm

Richard, you tell me this AFTER I lose a pinky?! - Back to thumb counting.
Sincerely, thanks everyone for your responses, I'm looking forward to blowing myself up.
Farina

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2002, 10:43 am

Losing a finger is not so bad...
At least you can still perform "The Thumb Tie"
:p

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2002, 12:00 pm

This is true. In addition, the thumb can be used for eye-gouging accountants from Houston named Barnett. :cool:

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2002, 3:34 pm

Ouch, don't you think accountants in Houston have it hard enough already.
Good thing the loss of you pinkie did not hinder your childish wit!! :D
What is Harkey's Bonfire effect?

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2002, 6:40 am

Anyway Bonfire is pretty cool, I should have mentioned the book was a joint effort between Eric Anderson and David Harkey. Anyway, the idea is you have spectators throw matches into a shot glass and then, by the intensity of your fierce stare alone, the glass of matches ignites.

Without giving anything away, I'd still like to hear from anyone who performs this effect. I found one of the ingredients at a pond treatment shop rather than going through a scientific supply co. It seems to work, but leaves a telltale blueish tint. I wonder if I should have gone direct to the supply companies or if this is simply the nature of the effect.
Also I've been trying to apply the idea to an effect where I could simply hold the matchbook between my fingers and have it ignite, but have been so far unsuccessful. Has anyone toyed with this at all?

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2002, 12:07 pm

The Potassium Permagnate leaves a coloured residue but is ignored anyway (or can be explained by the phenomenon, or even as match or matchbook residue). If you were to put both chemicals in a test tube and sealed it with a cork, you would get a very explosive reaction. it is necessary to keep it in an open container such as a glass so that there is only combustion.

As for holding it, first of all, why on earth would you even consider holding such volotile chemicals in your hand knowing the reactions that are caused with them. You would run a huge risk of being severaly hurt. Secondly and more importantly, the effect is that it occurs away from you and that you apparently cause it to happen without "doing anything".
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”