sources for force matrix

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

sources for force matrix

Postby Guest » January 7th, 2008, 8:50 pm

I am looking for a source for force matrices for an effect -- 4x4 or 5x5 matrices which force a predicted number; any ideas of where I might find some?

MP

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: sources for force matrix

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 7th, 2008, 9:11 pm

Doesn't this have something to do with Martin Gardner?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » January 7th, 2008, 11:54 pm

Mel Stover published a formula for constructing such squares in The New Phoenix #340 (January 1957).

I published a simpler method in the book Doth (1987).

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2008, 10:27 am

Thank you both -- I'm working on a new effect for the new year

MP

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2008, 7:39 pm

A convenient online explanation of force matrices can also be found here .

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 12th, 2008, 6:21 pm

I teach exactly that in MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY. HL

brandes

Postby brandes » March 29th, 2009, 9:35 am

you may find here at http://time24get.blogspot.com on magic trick section

Lemniscate

Postby Lemniscate » March 31st, 2009, 5:45 pm

I was relatively disappointed with Daniel Peris' "Peristance" book. However, he did offer an interesting take of a force matrix-TYPE (not a force matrix, a force matrix-TYPE) effect. I've tried it a few times and have been a bit shocked at how strongly it plays for a math trick (please don't bother telling me not to present it as a math trick, I don't, I am trying, quite unsuccessfully, to be brief). If you have the book, I'd say it's worth looking at this.

The Deceptionary link was nice and had a couple good ideas. My initial introduction to this kind of method (forcing matrix) was an effect from the Color Series (name escapes me at the moment, to my chagrin). My current little side project is finding adaptations of Stewart James' AAG Principle (my first introduction to this was in "The Essential Stewart James"). I like the freedom to start by filling one box first then letting them fill the second, then the rest of the table.

I don't know how helpful this would be to you but I thought I'd throw it out. If any of you have different handlings for AAG Principle, let me know.

Lem

EDIT: I thought I had the name for the effect from the Color Series but now am blanking again... Rainbow Matrix maybe but I can't tell anymore...argh... can't remember and have "Rainbow Matrix" on the brain...

Dick Christian

Postby Dick Christian » April 1st, 2009, 9:23 am

Lem,

The one you're looking for is indeed "Rainbow Matrix" and is found on pages 8-9 of The Violet Book of Mentalism. PhilMax MavenStein traces its origin to Walter Gibson in 1938 with modifications by Maurice Kraitchik in 1942 and subsequent developments by Mel Stover, Stewart James, Martin Gardner, Howard Lyons, Leslie May, Sam Dalal and others.
Last edited by Dick Christian on April 1st, 2009, 9:23 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: correct typo
Dick Christian

Lemniscate

Postby Lemniscate » April 17th, 2009, 8:17 pm

Thank you, sir!

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”