Walk around Mentalism

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Walk around Mentalism

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2004, 9:46 am

Hello
Ive been studying and performing magic and mentalism for a few years now, but ive always prefered the mindreader side of magic. So i decided a little while back to concentrate my study's mainly on mentalism. Ive got to the point where im wanting to take it further and mabye turn it into a part or even full time profession.
Anyway Getting to the point, the work that ill be looking for will be mainly walk around and casual. I have a fair bit of material that ive practised, reheast and that im comfortable with. Im Just looking for some tips and hints on what type of effects are suitable to use per table, how many effects would be suitable to use per table. Basically if anyone performs this type of mentalism i would be greatfull for some advise on the practicality's of this area of mentalism.

Thank you
D.Paul

Doug Dyment

Re: Walk around Mentalism

Postby Doug Dyment » September 11th, 2004, 12:44 pm

Mark Strivings' Mobile Mentalism is a classic in this area. In fact, Volume II of same is scheduled to be published this November. Both of these are available from Mark at MarkyApril@aol.com.

... Doug
... Doug :: Proprietor of The Deceptionary

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2004, 9:25 am

Great Thank you for the reply and the info ill see if i can get hold of the first volume.

Thank you
D.Paul

Postby Guest » September 14th, 2004, 9:14 am

In performing mentalism in a close-up/walk around situation I have found that actually sitting at the table really helps to create a stronger and much more intimate atmosphere which really helps to magnify the inpact the mental routines have.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com
Supplying unique mentalism world-wide

Doug Dyment

Postby Doug Dyment » September 15th, 2004, 8:04 am

I concur with Paul, but with a qualification. If the event is a dinner, or some other situation where the guests are already seated at tables, then truly joining them (i.e., being seated) at their tables enables a more effective relationship, as noted in Paul's posting.

But in a true walk-around situation (cocktail party, tradeshow, etc.), I've never liked the idea of setting up a table solely (or even primarily) for the entertainer's use. For mentalists particularly, I think it raises suspicion by making the activities seem more "staged" than they need appear. Why do I have to go to his space to see this? If he can read my mind, why can't he do it where I am? Why does he need that "stuff" to read my mind? Etc.

... Doug
... Doug :: Proprietor of The Deceptionary

Postby Guest » September 16th, 2004, 3:52 am

Thats extremely helpful, i had never realy given much thought about sitting instead of stading at the table, since ive thought about it, it makes perfect sense.
Plus ive always felt a little uncomfortable about bedding over the table while performing.
Thank you for the info :)

Postby Guest » September 16th, 2004, 4:07 am

Also would anyone have any adive on mabye how many effects (what type of effects prediction, centre tear, esp ) would be good per table. For instance a room with 15 sets of table 5 or 6 people per table, would 3 effects per table be suitable. I was thinking of a quick opener, then mabye a 5 min middle effect and then a slightley shorter ending effect. If anyone could help me with some info that would be great.

Thank's again
D.Paul

Postby Guest » September 16th, 2004, 10:18 am

#1 - Sitting at a walk around event is still possible and works very well. REad the section in Ted Lesley's Paramiracles and you will see exactly how to do this. It gives you a very different structure than walking around from table to table. Allows you to have a much quieter environment AND your audience perceives you to be more than someone walking from table to table. (They DO compare to table trotting magicians and if you are set up in a little "theatre" space doing formal "shows", it IS perceived as different).

#2 - The effects one does IS dependant on the performer. Is you style a light comedic style or a serious one. There are MANY good effects that could be used and are great for close-up use. Design duplications, revealing information about the people you are working for, the list is quite endless for good effects. You just have to find what is effective for YOU through trial and error. Keep what is the best and remove what is not.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Supplying unique Mentalism World-wide

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”