Making Book Test Duplicates

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Making Book Test Duplicates

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2002, 5:42 pm

After much searching I have finally found three different books from which to make a three way duplicate book! Same dimensions, roughly the same page count, no titles or runners on the top of the pages. Even the text and subject matters are somewhat interchangeable.

Now for the hard part. Taking the darn things apart and gluing together the gaffed versions.

I realize it might seem (and probably IS obvious) how to proceed with X-Acto knife in hand, but I'm wondering if anybody out there has any tips for safely separating pages from covers, keeping the pages in a nice riffle-able "packet", re-gluing, etc. I'm worried that the duplicates will somehow look suspicious next to the real book. Or that I'll end up with rubber cement all over everything, or that rubber cement isn't even the best thing to use!

Tips of any kind on this topic are much appreciated, including handling or routining ideas or recommendations. For instance, does anyone have an opinion about keeping or NOT keeping the title page(s)in the duplicates? Or is there a clever way keep the correct title page in each book and have it still "merge" with the rest of the gaff pages.

Thanks!

Re: Making Book Test Duplicates

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 9:51 am

Larry Becker is the expert at that as he is the one that teaches everyone how to replace the covers on "Flashback". He is the one to talk to.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/ABstagecraft

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2002, 7:38 pm

Originally posted by Muscarella:
Now for the hard part. Taking the darn things apart and gluing together the gaffed versions.
You might consider taking it to a bindery. If you're in Los Angeles, there is a bindery called, coincidentally enough, The Bindery, in Mar Vista. It's just off of Washington Blvd. east of Lincoln Blvd.

If you've invested in three books, it will probably cost you at least $30 to fail, and perhaps more. They might be able to do it cheaper. At the very least, they may be able to give you some expert advice.

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2002, 8:22 pm

Get thee to a bindery! Thank you, David. I am in Los Angeles and, knowing your work, I would certainly trust your recommendation.

Thanks also to Larry Becker who responded via E-mail with some excellent do-it-yourself tips.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”