History of Blindfold

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

History of Blindfold

Postby Guest » March 15th, 2006, 1:31 pm

I was involved in some study about different method for Blindfold or X-Ray Eyes.

When I found in Tarbell volume 6 pag. 251 a very attractive introduction by Mr Tarbell.
He speaks about Jules Romains and his work with Paraptic Vision or Eyeless Sight very interested. (also good for any presentation of this type)

But what I was looking to find is a little history about Blindfold in magic, his origin and if there is an inventor for his application in magical effects.

There are very good methods in some books, but so little about the history of blindfold.

Any help or suggestion?

Many thanks in advance for your interest

Cheers
Stefano

Re: History of Blindfold

Postby Guest » March 15th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Just came across this:

Washington Irving Bishop, also known as Wellington Irving Bishop,(1856-1889) was the originator of the blindfold drive in 1885, using a horse and carriage.

See his entry in James Randi's An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » March 15th, 2006, 11:31 pm

Bishop was the first to do a blindfold drive in 1885 (using a horse-drawn carriage), but he was preceded by an English stonemason named Dennis Hendrick who did a blindfold walk circa 1820.

The first to do it with a car was Dunninger, in 1917.

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2006, 11:50 am

Hi
-James
Thanks for your info part of the story in Banacheks link is also in his DVD PSI Series Volume 2
I did not know about Randi link and I thank you so much.

-Mr Maven
Thanks for your answer very glad to see you post.

Cheers
Stefano

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”