Wanted - Richard Turner's Bee Playing Cards

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

Wanted - Richard Turner's Bee Playing Cards

Postby Christopher1979 » January 23rd, 2018, 3:21 pm

Hi All,

I am looking for new and sealed decks of Richard Turners Bee playing cards. Nowhere seems to sell them any longer. If anyone has some decks they wouldn't mind selling please let me know. Many thanks

Chris
Auctions & Consignment for Historic Memorabilia and Collectibles
https://www.britannicauctions.com/magic-collectibles/

Pepka

Re: Wanted - Richard Turner's Bee Playing Cards

Postby Pepka » February 15th, 2018, 4:35 am

I have 1 deck, unopened. Drop me an email, david@forentertainmentonly.com

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » February 16th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Pepka wrote:I have 1 deck, unopened. Drop me an email, david@forentertainmentonly.com
Sent

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » February 20th, 2018, 6:47 am

He was selling Bee quality cards with Bicycle backs at the recent Blackpool convention.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » February 21st, 2018, 10:30 am

Wouldn't those be his Gold Seal Bikes? If so, those are readily available.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » February 21st, 2018, 2:09 pm

Tom Gilbert wrote:Wouldn't those be his Gold Seal Bikes? If so, those are readily available.

Probably. A friend bought three bricks.
Being a simple soul, I only know Bikes from Costco and Phoenix Decks from Card Shark.

jwjmcd

Postby jwjmcd » February 24th, 2018, 4:34 am

He mentioned he was down to the last few hundred thousand decks and that would be the last printing? He wasn’t selling Bee backs at all as Quentin says. I wonder if he is holding the Bees back as he uses them himself?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 24th, 2018, 8:21 am

Since the traditional cut seems to be one of the big selling points of the Turner Bee and Gold cards, I was going to ask why USPCC doesn't just traditionally cut all of their cards. However, I discovered that Jason England already answered that question at the green place:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 8&start=20

A couple of posts down in that thread, Bret Maverick quotes Richard Turner as to what is special about his Bee cards and the origin of the term "traditionally cut".

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » February 24th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Those are the ones I have. The first one is no longer available, I think.

jwjmcd

Postby jwjmcd » February 25th, 2018, 5:18 am

Denis Behr wrote:Those are the ones I have. The first one is no longer available, I think.

Yes I have those too.

I know Penguin have the Elite cards now which are a little softer than the Turner deck but are also traditional cut?

I think the Bee’s are certainly better for dealing seconds because of the white border on bicycles.

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » February 27th, 2018, 10:43 pm

Denis Behr wrote:Those are the ones I have. The first one is no longer available, I think.

Yes, the Bees are the ones that are no longer available. I also hear that the Bikes are going to be discontinued too!... :(

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » February 27th, 2018, 10:48 pm

jwjmcd wrote:

Yes I have those too.

I know Penguin have the Elite cards now which are a little softer than the Turner deck but are also traditional cut?

I think the Bee’s are certainly better for dealing seconds because of the white border on bicycles.

Exactly why i want the Bees. It means i can false deal with the bonus of a traditional cut deck for my table faro's. I can second deal very well with Bikes too but for a lay audience bee's are fine. I would usually do seconds with Bikes if i was showing magicians a second deal.

JustinM
Favorite Magician: Mike and 40.... The rest are dead!

Postby JustinM » February 27th, 2018, 11:12 pm

I have Turner Bee's... i was given a deck by my teacher last night... he's down to his last few hundred Turner Bee decks lol!

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » February 27th, 2018, 11:59 pm

JustinM wrote:I have Turner Bee's... i was given a deck by my teacher last night... he's down to his last few hundred Turner Bee decks lol!

Who is your teacher?... Richard Turner himself lol. I don't know of anyone with a stock pile of hundreds of Bee decks

JustinM

Postby JustinM » February 28th, 2018, 12:07 am

Christopher1979 wrote:
JustinM wrote:I have Turner Bee's... i was given a deck by my teacher last night... he's down to his last few hundred Turner Bee decks lol!

Who is your teacher?... Richard Turner himself lol. I don't know of anyone with a stock pile of hundreds of Bee decks

Not Richard, just a friend of Richard's... You wouldn't know him. I almost went in my pants when I walked into my teachers house and he said "here, Richard turners on the phone"....

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » February 28th, 2018, 12:25 am

JustinM wrote:
Christopher1979 wrote:

Not Richard, just a friend of Richard's... You wouldn't know him. I almost went in my pants when I walked into my teachers house and he said "here, Richard turners on the phone"....

Richard is a great guy, i have spoken to him a few times. I have no idea why they would stop making Richard Turner Bikes and Bees, mind you, the demand for such cards are minuscule in comparison to normal cards. Maybe its just not financially viable.

JustinM

Postby JustinM » February 28th, 2018, 12:55 am

Christopher1979 wrote:
JustinM wrote:
Christopher1979 wrote:

Richard is a great guy, i have spoken to him a few times. I have no idea why they would stop making Richard Turner Bikes and Bees, mind you, the demand for such cards are minuscule in comparison to normal cards. Maybe its just not financially viable.

that could be the case for sure. It definitely sucks when good products are no longer available..

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 28th, 2018, 12:46 pm

JustinM wrote: that could be the case for sure. It definitely sucks when good products are no longer available..

I hear what you are saying; however, I wonder if magicians with hoarder-like tendencies (like me) ever really run out of most things.

I'm looking around my office and I strongly doubt I'm ever going to run out of cards. I've also bought doubles of various items (because pros always advised me to have a backup of everything I do) that I've yet to use because the originals are still going strong.

If you're a pro and depend on an item to make your living, that advice totally makes sense (although I realized the other day, a central item I use in my profession has somehow survived over 90,000 (not an exaggeration) separate encounters, despite near daily abuse and exposure to all manner of bodily fluids and chemicals. Just one repair needed in all those years.)

Consequently, I suspect that I need to practice more and worry less about acquisitions and wearing out stuff.

(I'm just speaking for me--I certainly understand and respect the collector bug; however, given how many unopened books and items show up in the sales and auctions, I may not be alone.)

JustinM

Postby JustinM » February 28th, 2018, 1:34 pm

I do agree with you that most "magicians" do need more practice than they need acquisitions.

The person i'm speaking of is a working pro..... and as much as he works, his hoard of cards is definitely justified.

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » February 28th, 2018, 1:40 pm

erdnasephile wrote:
JustinM wrote: that could be the case for sure. It definitely sucks when good products are no longer available..

I hear what you are saying; however, I wonder if magicians with hoarder-like tendencies (like me) ever really run out of most things.

I'm looking around my office and I strongly doubt I'm ever going to run out of cards. I've also bought doubles of various items (because pros always advised me to have a backup of everything I do) that I've yet to use because the originals are still going strong.

If you're a pro and depend on an item to make your living, that advice totally makes sense (although I realized the other day, a central item I use in my profession has somehow survived over 90,000 (not an exaggeration) separate encounters, despite near daily abuse and exposure to all manner of bodily fluids and chemicals. Just one repair needed in all those years.)

Consequently, I suspect that I need to practice more and worry less about acquisitions and wearing out stuff.

(I'm just speaking for me--I certainly understand and respect the collector bug; however, given how many unopened books and items show up in the sales and auctions, I may not be alone.)

What i have learnt is never take an item that you use and buy everyday for granted. I have made the mistake many times of only buying a few of XYZ to then realise it has gone out of production. Same as the RT Bees, i bought 10 bricks and thought i could get more whenever i wanted.... not the case!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 28th, 2018, 2:00 pm

JustinM wrote:I do agree with you that most "magicians" do need more practice than they need acquisitions.

The person i'm speaking of is a working pro..... and as much as he works, his hoard of cards is definitely justified.

Oh, yes---absolutely--no offense intended to you or your teacher.

JustinM

Postby JustinM » February 28th, 2018, 11:00 pm

erdnasephile wrote:
JustinM wrote:I do agree with you that most "magicians" do need more practice than they need acquisitions.

Oh, yes---absolutely--no offense intended to you or your teacher.

No offense taken... and on a side note, i really enjoy your posts, they're very insightful........

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”