Handsome Jack's new book

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
John Lovick

Handsome Jack's new book

Postby John Lovick » July 26th, 2016, 1:49 pm

People have been asking me why I haven't been posting about my upcoming book. Well, I've got mixed feelings about this book, because there was a long, painful lawsuit regarding its publication (I had to sue Handsome Jack over control of the manuscripr -- it's all detailed in the book) and I haven't been in the mood to pimp it. Anyway, the book contains 20 of the professional routines I created for Handsome Jack (with an emphasis on stand-up material); Everything he has used professionally in corporate gigs, and at the Magic Castle. It also has two essays. One on scripting, and one on persona. It is illustrated with beautiful 2 color illustration. It will be released at MAGIC Live on August 14 .If you're interested, you can pre-order it from Squash publications. http://squashpublications.com/

There are a couple dozen people who have seen the galleys or early drafts. Here are some of their comments.

In the fifty-seven years I’ve been interested in conjuring, I’ve read a lot of magic books. This book is unique among them… A magic book unlike any other I’ve read. The concept is ingenious. The bottom line: Buy this book.
—Mike Close, M-U-M magazine

Forget about his incredible looks, Handsome Jack’s skill, humor, and humility make him a great writer of magic.
—David Blaine

This book is not like anything ever written for our profession. It’s a schizophrenic, stylized approach of brilliant writing. A must read!
—Johnny Thompson, aka The Great Tomsoni

This magical male model’s magnum opus is one of the truest books on any art I’ve ever read… Something unlike any other magic book ever printed.
—Jared Kopf, MAGIC magazine

I paid Handsome Jack $1,000 for the performance rights to just one trick. And now this book fully details that very trick, plus nineteen more gems. Shouldn’t this book sell for $20,000?
—Mac King

This book is a vault of original, powerhouse material.
—Michael Carbonaro

A magic book unlike any other. Extremely entertaining, with original, brilliant stand-up magic. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
—Luke Jermay

This is an extraordinary book. It’s laugh-out-loud funny and contains original routines and brilliant essays that should be required reading for everyone who sets foot on a stage.
—Pit Hartling

Handsome Jack is one of the most original, creative, and intelligent magicians we know, and this invaluable volume offers profound cases in development, construction, writing, staging, and timing that will inspire magicians for generations.
—Dan & Dave Buck

Twenty years in the making. Awesome material, funny, clever, real things he actually uses, great ideas that actually work. Get this book now.
—Chris Kenner

There are only a few people I ever consult when working on magic and John Lovick is high on that list. This remarkable book makes it clear why.
—Asi Wind

If I were to describe this publication in one word, it would be “honest,” which is a word that I can apply to few productions by members of our community.
—Kainoa Harbottle, Genii magazine

I don’t know who I admire more, John Lovick or Handsome Jack, but they have crafted some of the most intelligently-plotted (and funniest) routines I have ever seen.
—David Regal

This is a great book. Every single chapter is interesting, worthwhile, and very funny. It covers a huge variety of magical effects with all the layers and details of their execution as real-world performance pieces.
—Simon Coronel

Man, what a fantastic book. Great job.
—Chad Long

erdnasephile

Re: Handsome Jack's new book

Postby erdnasephile » July 26th, 2016, 3:56 pm

I'm in!

John Lovick

Postby John Lovick » August 2nd, 2016, 10:41 pm

Just got word from the printer that the book has shipped (3 days early!) and we will definitely have them for sale at MAGIC Live.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 2nd, 2016, 10:55 pm

More importantly, are you bringing them when you visit Seattle?

John Lovick

Postby John Lovick » August 4th, 2016, 2:06 pm

Bill, I will have them in Seattle (unless against all odds it sells out by then).

Also, Michael Borys wrote an interesting, and flattering, article about the book for Boing Boing. Here is the link.

http://boingboing.net/2016/08/03/feast- ... me-ja.html

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 8th, 2016, 10:12 pm

Love the Amer!can G0th!c graphic.

After reading the quotes on the Squash website, I was struck by the irony that John Lovick and Handsome Jack are one person but Dan and Dave Buck are two.

John Lovick

Postby John Lovick » August 21st, 2016, 3:37 pm

The book was officially released at MAGIC Live, and there is an ad in the current issue of Genii. It can now be purchased directly from http://www.squashpublications.com. Email me if you have any questions. Jack@Handsomejack.com

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » August 21st, 2016, 9:39 pm

Thanks for posting the website, John.

Reading an email saying that it's "EXCLUSIVELY available for a limited time through Vanishing Inc. Magic" was a bit confusing, but there's nothing wrong with everyone selling it, as long as people can get it.

It was cool to see Teller with a copy in his hands.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

John Lovick

Postby John Lovick » August 23rd, 2016, 1:48 am

I can understand the confusion. Squash Publications is the publisher. They, of course, are selling it. And they have made a deal with Vanishing Inc., that, for a limited time, they are the only other source for the book. Murphy's is not carrying it, nor is Penguin, or Theory 11, etc.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » September 12th, 2016, 2:29 pm

In the book, Handsome Jack expresses his admiration for Arnold Schwarzenegger, for having conquered three disparate fields of human endeavor: Bodybuilding, Hollywood Stardom, and Politics. He also alludes to his own aspirations.

Our current presidential campaign troubles me, and should trouble us all. Is this the best America has to offer? Surely not. The only solution to save this great nation is for a male model/magician to jump into the election.

But you say, "Handsome Jack is busy on the catwalk and the performance stage -- he hasn't the time." I say, he can make the time.

Jack and his crack team of policy wonks are already hard at work on solving America's problems.

Handsome Jack for president, 2016. We could do a lot worse (and probably will).

John Lovick

Postby John Lovick » September 12th, 2016, 5:32 pm

I approve this message.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 12th, 2016, 5:37 pm

Heh. This evening I was perusing my box of small booklets, and found my original instructions for the Reformation. It's going to be fun comparing that with the instructions in the new book :)

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » September 12th, 2016, 9:05 pm

Where's the website to buy the bumper stickers?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 13th, 2016, 12:38 pm

Just a brief comment--I am finding this book to be absolutely brilliant!

What I like best is how Mr. Lovick not only describes his real-world, time-tested routines, but he also honestly analyzes them down to their core. He discusses the problems he overcame in development, the creative choices that shaped the final presentations, and the remaining discrepancies and inconveniences. I'm learning tons just reading through his thought processes. Moreover, by pointing out the persistent weaknesses in the routines, he practically dares readers to find solutions so they can mold the routines to themselves.

The other thing I like is that these presentations are probably going to look pretty stupid if anyone else other than Handsome Jack tries to use them verbatim. To me, this is a great thing---if you are so bold (and talented) to be able to adapt them to yourself, you'll have been forced to do a lot of extra work, which can only result in something different and unique, which is good for magic (and you!).

Finally, the book is a gas to read--I can't remember so many true belly laughs. Handsome Jack: both fun and educational--who would've thought? This one is a keeper that deserves to be read and reread by students. I know I will certainly do so.

Strong work, Mr. Lovick!

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”