Nice Selection of Classic Magic Literature

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Fonz

Nice Selection of Classic Magic Literature

Postby Fonz » April 22nd, 2015, 3:16 pm

The Fonz has nothing for sale here until he posts full contact information.

Ayyyyyy ......

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Nice Selection of Classic Magic Literature

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 22nd, 2015, 5:39 pm

And actually, given his rude behavior which I deleted, and wonton disregard for the rules, I would prefer it if he didn't repost his ad even if done properly. But it's his choice as this will remain so his potential customer base can see it.

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » April 22nd, 2015, 6:20 pm

Fonz

Postby Fonz » April 22nd, 2015, 8:11 pm

I apologize for my wonton disregard for the rules. I simply made a mistake. My "rude" behavior was a kneejerk response to a remark made by someone who could have simply explined to me (nicely) that it appeared I had neglected to read the rules and to make sure I add the necessary contact info. :oops:

On a more positive note, sales are pending on the books I advertised.

Dr. J. Riggs
10 Hawthorne Circle
Ithaca, New York

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 22nd, 2015, 10:22 pm

Dr. Riggs (always nice to know the name behind a handle) --

My intention was to be direct, maybe even blunt, but not rude. If that's how I came across then I'm sorry for that. And if Dustin or Richard want to call me out for the post, I'll take the hit.

But a little context, by way of explanation. Since you've posted here only to sell something, you may not be aware of the history of this issue. Every month or so, someone does like you did. They come to the forum and take advantage of the community's existence to try and sell some stuff, without ever having participated or contributed before or otherwise tried to be a member of that community. If all they want from us is to sell us something, then I don't see them as much different from the people who call my house at dinner time wanting me to change my credit cards.

Even more, like telemarketers, they ignore the rules that are pretty prominently posted. You can't add a new topic to the Marketplace without stopping here. Of the first five threads in the topic, three of them are clearly about rules. One of them even says "PLEASE READ". You'd just about have to be willfully oblivious to miss the fact that contact information is required in a "for sale" post.

You said that I could have provided an explanation "nicely". The "nice" explanation is already prominently posted here.

My original question stands, rhetorically, to all who post without adding contact info: How do you expect to sell something without making it as easy as possible for a potential buyer to let you know he wants to buy it? If I were looking for your money, I'd make it super simple for you to contact me and say "I want to give you money". Even if the only contacts I was expecting were through the PM on the board, I'd state right out front "PM me to work out payments". Lots of people advertise here without doing that, and I am puzzled by it. But it seems to work -- you have buyers pending. Even though you never posted your phone number or email address. Amazing.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » April 23rd, 2015, 5:53 pm

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Mr. Mullins. Although I joined these forums back in 2008, my profession has kept me from pursuing the resources that Mr. Kaufman has provided through The Genii Forum.

When a friends widow informed me that she was ready to part with his magic collection I offered my assistance as she could use the money his collection will eventually accrue.
A friend here at Genii recommended using the site and I fast forwarded the post without reading the directions.

Thankfully the friend who suggested that I post the books called me once he saw the issue I had caused. He berated me for my inconsiderate tendencies for rushing into things without checking details as well as not letting him know the specifics of the book collection I am selling...

Lessons learned.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 23rd, 2015, 11:48 pm

Firstly, my condolences to you on the loss of your friend, and to his widow. It must be difficult for her, disposing of a loved one's personal possessions, particularly if she is aware that they have some value, but she doesn't know anything beyond that. Kudos to you for helping her.

If you've been a member for that long, and are knowledgeable enough to give counsel to the widow, I hope you'll drop in to the forum for non-commercial posts. Surely you have something to share with us. Do you perform? At what level? Are you a hobbyist or pro?

Myself, I don't do much magic, but I like to see it performed well. I'm also interested in its history, and do a little research there from time to time.

Please don't let my grumpiness yesterday keep you from coming back.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”