The Berglas Effects - Deluxe Edition

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
David Hawkins

The Berglas Effects - Deluxe Edition

Postby David Hawkins » March 10th, 2014, 4:42 pm

For Sale - The Berglas Effects - Deluxe Edition by Richard Kaufman and David Berglas

This is a great find for the collector of rare magic books. This is the Deluxe Edition of David Berglas' amazing book. Only 100 copies were ever printed and it is highly sought after - this is No. 34. The book comes complete with three DVDs, Slipcase, 3D glasses and an envelope full of vintage promotional pieces from Berglas' performing career.

The book is in exceptional condition and complete with all the extras as detailed above.
• Almost 400 pages
• Oversized, Hardcover
• Dustjacket, Inserts, and 3D Glasses
• Includes 3 DVDs
• Over 60 Pages Devoted to "The Berglas Effect" and "Any Card at Any Number"

http://t.co/so4a6iNCWZ
David Hawkins
107 Butts Hill Road
Reading
RG5 4NT
UK

(44) 7850740557

Djhawkins@btinternet.com

David Hawkins

Re: The Berglas Effects - Deluxe Edition

Postby David Hawkins » March 13th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Just a quick reminder that there is only a few days left to bid on this rare and unique book. :lol:
David Hawkins

107 Butts Hill Road

Reading

RG5 4NT

UK

(44) 7850740557

Djhawkins@btinternet.com

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 13th, 2014, 11:47 pm

David Hawkins wrote:Just a few days left to bid on this . . . unique book.

I hope two people want this book badly, and you get a buttload of money for it. But when there are 99 other copies out there, it isn't "unique".

(My inner pedant forced me to type that -- sorry)

David Hawkins

Postby David Hawkins » March 14th, 2014, 3:17 pm

LOL !
David Hawkins

107 Butts Hill Road

Reading

RG5 4NT

UK

(44) 7850740557

Djhawkins@btinternet.com

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » March 14th, 2014, 4:11 pm

I hope you break even! At least for selfish reasons as I have one myself.

If I recall properly (and I often try to forget how much I spend on magic) is retailed for $300 plus shipping.

David Hawkins

Postby David Hawkins » March 16th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Less than 24 hours to go !!! :o
David Hawkins

107 Butts Hill Road

Reading

RG5 4NT

UK

(44) 7850740557

Djhawkins@btinternet.com

David Hawkins

Postby David Hawkins » March 17th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Only 3 hours left to bid !!!!
David Hawkins

107 Butts Hill Road

Reading

RG5 4NT

UK

(44) 7850740557

Djhawkins@btinternet.com

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » March 17th, 2014, 8:33 pm

Oh man... it closed at $100 less than retail.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 17th, 2014, 8:43 pm

You never know how those things are going to go.

Most of my deluxe editions have always retained their value and usually increased.

There's a lot of disinformation being passed around the underground that my book "The Berglas Effects" is full of misinformation--that it doesn't really explain how David performs card magic. That it isn't how he does The Berglas Effect. All hooey by people who think they know more than they do. (The roulette system is baloney, but I knew that, which is why I refused to write that chapter. David insisted it go into the book, much to my dismay.)

All you have to do is watch the DVDs in the book and then read the methods several times until they're clear to you, and you'll see that David is doing exactly what is explained in the book. I still feel it's the best and most important book I've ever written because it will teach you how to turn card tricks into miracles, and will give you to the tools to create a legendary persona with nothing more than a deck of cards.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » March 17th, 2014, 9:14 pm

You made the regular edition too "special" by including the DVDs....

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » March 17th, 2014, 9:34 pm

It will be, at least, another generation before this book is properly appreciated.

In 50 years time it will be regarded as one of the top five card books ever written (IMHO).

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 17th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Prior to publication, five countries expressed a strong desire to translate the book.

After publication, the offers disappeared. I heard that I took a pretty good verbal beating on some French discussion board. The thread on the Magic Cafe got so nasty that it was deleted.

All very foolish. I spent three years on that book. When I do "Think a Card," I stop and don't do anything else. You can't top a miracle where you apparently did nothing. When I get luck and am off by four and end up doing "Any Number" as the out, it's so damn impressive. I hit Tony Miller's wife Rosie with it at some convention when we were bored to death in an empty dealer room and Tony's never forgiven me.

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » March 18th, 2014, 3:49 am

Regarding this auction, I think it was a mistake to leave out the words "Deluxe Edition" from the title, which simply said "The Berglas Effects - by David Berglas & Richard Kaufman" and featured a picture of the book as the thumbnail that looks just like the regular edition. You really had to study the description of the auction to find out that this is not the regular edition.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » March 18th, 2014, 2:15 pm

Yes.

Misidentified (or incompletely identified) items turn into eBay bargains.

David Hawkins

Postby David Hawkins » March 18th, 2014, 3:32 pm

To be fair the subtitle did clearly state Deluxe edition ! Anyway glad to know someone has a bargain, and I guess I've learnt a bit about constructing eBay ads for next time.
David Hawkins

107 Butts Hill Road

Reading

RG5 4NT

UK

(44) 7850740557

Djhawkins@btinternet.com

Rachmaninov

Postby Rachmaninov » March 23rd, 2014, 5:54 pm

I don't understand why Mr Berglas was so insistent to include his chapter on the roulette system. Extraordinary theatrical skills yes, but very poorly mathematical skills...When i read the book, this chapter distracted me from the big impressive picture. The integrity of Richard Kaufman regarding quality material and reputation was in play. A difficult situation to handle indeed. But I had noticed those words were not yours Richard.
The same thing occured to me when i was studying the mind magic of David Berglas and the chapter on mathematical prodigies. I thought that some research on calculators would have put him on the right path. No credibility nowadays with such a show.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 23rd, 2014, 9:07 pm

At one point, after doing some research on the roulette system chapter as it had been presented to me, I told David that I was removing it from the book. He became pale and looked faint, as if I had taken the most valuable thing from the book and simultaneously stabbed him.

There was no point in arguing, though had I realized the ridiculous ideas it would give people about the rest of the book--which I did write--I certainly would not have included it.

I am exceptionally proud of "The Berglas Effects." It is the best writing I've ever done. It explains things in print that no one has ever taught clearly before, in a way that people can take the ideas (or the tricks) and turn themselves into miracle workers instead of some guy who does tricks with spongeballs.

There's a guy who used to be a casual friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, who continues to believe that David Berglas never performed the card on seat as explained in the book. I can't even respond to something so dumb. Stupidity so deep just baffles me.

But when you finish a book like that, as an author, you really can't afford to remain emotionally involved with whether people like it or not. You must move on to the next project with a clear mind.

Rachmaninov

Postby Rachmaninov » March 24th, 2014, 4:13 pm

I must confess that i have just read the book, partially and quickly. I've not studied it yet so i can't fully appreciate your special endeavor to inspire readers. No doubt you have succeeded.

Rachmaninov

Postby Rachmaninov » March 24th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Next year (i have a very precise plan of work), i will take the time necessary to study thoroughly this book and - I hope - manage to bring to life many of the great ideas exposed.

And yes Richard, I agree with you concerning the sponge balls...

Sorry for my bad English, i'm a french guy!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 24th, 2014, 5:04 pm

French guys are welcome here. :) Don't worry about your English--you make your points clearly.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”