BEATING A DEAD HORSE: The Life and Times of Jay Marshall

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Sandy Marshall

BEATING A DEAD HORSE: The Life and Times of Jay Marshall

Postby Sandy Marshall » December 8th, 2009, 5:59 pm

They're HEEERRE! The 500 advance copies of "BEATING A DEAD HORSE: The Life and Times of Jay Marshall" have been delivered to Magic Inc. and will be shipped out to everyone who has pre-ordered them in the next two days. There are still a few copies available so if you order right away you will be able to have it in time for Christmas.

You can get copies exclusively from Magic Inc. for $69.95 plus $10.00 shipping (U.S.A)

www.magicinc.net

Or you can view the ad copy directly here:
http://shop.magicinc.net/index.asp?Page ... =2459&HS=1

Magic Inc.
5082 N. Lincoln Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625

(773)334-2855

Info@MagicInc.Net

The Magic Apple

Re: BEATING A DEAD HORSE: The Life and Times of Jay Marshall

Postby The Magic Apple » December 9th, 2009, 2:24 am

Is this something I can buy for The Magic Apple to carry as well? if so, please contact me: MagicAppleStore@gmail.com

it sounds like an AMAZING book and I would be honored to carry it in the shop
thank you
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

MagicAuctioneer

Postby MagicAuctioneer » December 12th, 2009, 11:30 am

I had the pleasure of picking the book up on Thursday from Sandy. The book is beautiful and more importantly it is an amazing read! When you start to read it, make sure that you have a lot of time available because you will not be able to put it down once you start. This is a must have for your library!

Junto Publishing

Postby Junto Publishing » December 22nd, 2009, 10:40 pm

Junto Publishing will be releasing limited, signed and numbered, leather-bound collector's editions of "Beating a Dead Horse: The Life and Times of Jay Marshall" (available in February 2010). There will be two levels of the collector's editions.

GOLD Edition: Limited leather-bound copy, numbered, signed by the author and Teller. Cost: $350 plus shipping. Only 69 copies available.

PLATINUM Edition: Signed by the author and Teller. This edition also includes: slipcase, CD audiobook (read by the author, with Foreword read by Teller), DVD of performances of Jay in his prime, a CD of a rare lecture Jay performed at Northwestern University, Jay's palming coin from the 1950's in German Silver, and other Jay Marshall ephemera. Cost: $1,000, plus shipping. Only 69 copies available.

We've already received quite a few reservations for these collectible editions. Please reserve your copy by sending an email to: info@juntopublishing.com and we'll send you back a confirmation and payment request.

JimAlfredson

Postby JimAlfredson » January 6th, 2010, 6:12 pm

Now that 2010 has arrived, and had a few days to settle in, I can state--hopefully without offending other friends--that my favorite magic book for the year 2009 is, hands down, "Beating A Dead Horse," the biography of Jay Marshall by his son Sandy. I can't imagine who else could have done such a fine job with such a difficult chore. Although it would be impossible for any son to write of his father in a completely 'objective' manner, Sandy comes as close as one could hope for. It may have taken him a few years, as obviously a lot of maturity is required to understand such a unique character as Jay, but he writes with a remarkable understanding. Further, Sandy has the wit and the prose style to render Jay in the entertaining manner that he would have wished for. One of magic's most beloved characters has been described here--warts and all, as they say.
As one of the most well-known magicians among magicians, most of us will have known the old boy to lesser or greater degree. I thus suspect that you won't require my recommendation to prompt you to buy this book. Do yourself a favor, and do so!

David Linsell

Postby David Linsell » January 13th, 2010, 11:08 am

For those of you who may have missed it, Sandy was interviewed on this past Mondays WGN Midday news talking about Jay, and the new book. Here is the link. . .

http://www.wgntv.com/news/middaynews/wg ... 3845.story

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”