New Steinmeyer/Caveney History of Magic Book Almost Shipping

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
JLong

Re: New Steinmeyer/Caveney History of Magic Book Almost Shipping

Postby JLong » October 29th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Kevin,

The book was packaged very well. It's shrinkwrapped inside a carrying case (box), and then double boxed by Amazon.

I think you'll be pleased!

Joe

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 29th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Thanks Joe! I flip when I buy a brand new book that comes in dinged up when it could have been avoided.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

AJM

Postby AJM » October 29th, 2009, 6:30 pm

the book is written in three languages

Any ideas behind the reasoning for this approach?

Now I've held an interest in languages since school (and that wasn't yesterday) but when it comes to books I tend to think one is sufficient.

RK - any plans to introduce a multi-language version of Genii? You could potentially include a section in Latin for Mr Lewis' benefit.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 29th, 2009, 6:47 pm

Isn't Tachen a German operator? If the book is aimed at a European market as well it would not be surprising if German was there, and French is not too hard for Spanish and Italian speakers.

Ian

AJM

Postby AJM » October 29th, 2009, 7:13 pm

Could even print three different versions!

No, that would be taking it too far.....

garciadini

Postby garciadini » October 29th, 2009, 7:34 pm

Just got an email confirming shipping, and tracking # says it should be here tomorrow via UPS! From PA. to New Jersey

de ritis

Postby de ritis » October 30th, 2009, 5:05 am

Taschen usually publishes all of his art books with the concept of the three-language editions.
It is not aimed at the European market, the publisher being the world leader in illustrated books.
As for other titles, an italian/spanish/portuguese edition is planned for MAGIC. It will be available around February 2010. This "latin" languages edition is not yet planned for their previous CIRCUS book.
I've MAGIC in my hands by few days, and I can say that is in the same quality standard of the expectation created by CIRCUS.
raffaele de ritis
www.raffaelederitis.com

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » November 3rd, 2009, 12:39 pm

Mine arrived yesterday and when I unpacked it I was shocked at it's size. This is by far the biggest book I've seen. I'm not very crazy about each section in three languages becuase they added different pictures to each language. So while I can't read the text, the pictures are different.
With that said, it is a work of art and I wish I had a place to display it but it's bigger than my coffee table, LOL!!!

Jeff

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » November 3rd, 2009, 8:26 pm

Amazon tells me that mine was shipped today via FedEx and will arrive on Friday.

Lee Almond

Postby Lee Almond » November 3rd, 2009, 8:45 pm

Mine arrived today. I was thinking what the hell is in this big ass box? The box had to be 2X2. Well packed and a beautiful book. In 20 years the thing will throw my back out lifting it off the table! LOL! Well done to all involved in this HUGE project. A new treasure. Buy it now thanks us all later. Peace.
Lee

John Signa

Postby John Signa » November 3rd, 2009, 10:06 pm

The office delivery guy was perplexed when I mentioned that the box contained just one book.

However, I'm a bit confused by the middle "show girl" in the photo at bottom of page 472.

Steve Fernandes

Postby Steve Fernandes » November 4th, 2009, 5:13 pm

Book arrived Monday, 2 November, in MA. Dining table, not coffee table, size. Without equal in anything I've seen, that's for sure, in graphics and production alone. I have not devoured the essays in full but they're by folks who know what they're talking about more than most usually do, so time (and space on the table) will be set aside soon for that happy task. Surely, someone will reprint these essays sans graphics somewhere, should permission be forthcoming.
I've decided to keep the box, too. Haven't seen many magic books come through with their own printed packaging that has a carry handle.
Bravo doesn't even begin to be an appropriate response.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » November 4th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Amazon has the worst packaging policy of any company in the world. Many times I receive books tossed in a box. In this case, I received two boxes - both ripped to pieces, each containing the Taschen "suitcase." In both case, the Taschen box was simply lying on the bottom with inflatable inserts on top. Of course, these inner boxes were also damaged. One of the books made it, the other has dinged edges.

The Circus book arrived (when it came out) with just the one "suitcase box" and nothing else.

It seems the more expensive the book, the crappier the packaging.

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » November 4th, 2009, 7:41 pm

yeah, I wasn't impressed with the packaging either. My copy was only single-boxed -- that is, the suitcase was in a larger box with the inflatable polybags on top. The outer box was dented, and I could feel the inner one shifting around, so I feared the worst. I lucked out, however, and got a pristine copy once I unwrapped it.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 4th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Their packing does blow. My book was packed the same way, but the other box saved it. The book was at the bottom with the air bags on top. There was enough room for 5 or 6 more books. I have received other items for auction houses, etc. packed the same way. Why someone wouldn't put the item in the middle of the bags to protect the item on all sides? I guess it's just easier to toss it and fill.
Please visit my website.

troublewit

Postby troublewit » November 4th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Sumptuous!
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

James Foster

Postby James Foster » November 4th, 2009, 8:07 pm

In regards to the packaging, it would appear that you get what you pay for...I've avoided Amazon for fine print books for these exact reasons. They don't really sell books; they sell widgits. But the price is a good one, I agree.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 4th, 2009, 9:49 pm

That's not really true either that you get what you pay for. I just had a box of Hoffmann books delivered this week. The books were packed the same way, using peanuts, books at the bottom. This I paid $20.00 extra for "handling". This did not include postage or a six week wait for the auction house to get around to shipping it.

Not to mention, everyone has paid shipping on this book from Amazon.
Please visit my website.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 5th, 2009, 12:53 am

Every book I get from amazon is in perfect condition. It's heavily shrink-wrapped to a piece of cardboard so nothing can shift position inside a large box. Never had a ding. The new magic book arrived in fine condition. Outer box was dented, but since there was little inside the upper portion of the box that's not surprising. No problems with the inner box. I paid $4 for shipping a 17-pound item so I ain't complaining!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » November 5th, 2009, 9:57 am

Looks like different orders are packed differently. Mine was one where they had the inner box laying on the bottom of the outer box with inflatables on the top. The other box was banged up, but the book was still in perfect condition.

This book is huge. Looks wonderful. I'll spend some time with it this weekend.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » November 5th, 2009, 2:35 pm

My book was delivered by FedEX today and both inner and outer boxes were in perfect condition. Perhaps FedEX handles packages more carefully that UPS and USPS. I cannot imagine anyone who loves magic not getting this book, especially at Amazon's price. The only was I have found to read the text is to lay the book out on the dining room table and stand over it. Sitting in a chair with it on my lap grew old very quickly. It really is a beautiful book and, in my opinion, a bargain. After reading all of the internet gossip about it, I was totally unprepared for the experience of opening it for the first time. None of my book shelves are large enough, so I will probably just keep it in the box with the carrying handle. I think that if you know someone who has it and get a look at it, you will do whatever you have to do to obtain one. An instant classic. IMHO

Steve Brooks
Favorite Magician: Rene Lavand

Postby Steve Brooks » November 5th, 2009, 2:51 pm

Ordered mine thru Amazon (a bargain price and near free shipping) and it arrived via UPS a couple days ago with no damage whatsoever.

A beautiful book that will no doubt command high prices in the years to come.

That said, it's a shelf breaker for sure. :lol:

Bill Wells

Postby Bill Wells » November 7th, 2009, 7:12 am

My copy arrived packed the same as others have mentioned with box on bottom of big box and airbags. Book was in fine condition with exception of a 4 inch diagonal tear on upper left corner of page 25 - something that was no fault of Amazon.com but had to have happen at the printers. Amazon had a replacement copy (in perfect shape and better packed in a fitted box) to me within three days and UPS picked up the damaged copy at no cost to me. Outstanding costumer service!

My advice is to check your copies very carefully.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 7th, 2009, 9:39 am

This is a remarkable book and a stunning achievment for Mr. Caveney, Mr. Steinmeyer and Mr. Jay. Truly one for the ages!

However, one of the things integral to the overall asthetic of a book is its physical design--everything from it's binding, size, paper quality, cover, etc. (Stephen Minch and Richard understand this particularly well) It's one of the things that separates books from electronic media.

That said, I wish this book had been issued in a more readable multi-volume format. It's great size not only makes it tough to read without a table, but also makes it more prone to damage while shipping and handling, as others have noted. I would have gladly paid extra for this format, but recognize that economics undoubtably played a key role in the book's current format.

This comment does not diminish my respect and admiration for such a great book, and I am grateful it saw print--just a small comment on an oustanding work.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » November 7th, 2009, 11:59 am

erdnasephile wrote:However, one of the things integral to the overall asthetic of a book is its physical design--everything from it's binding, size, paper quality, cover, etc.

I initially had the same thought (i.e., smaller format). However, the large physical size of this volume actually gives a real sense of the grandeur of the posters and broadsides contained within. I'm sure that would be diminished in a smaller format.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 7th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Jim Martin wrote:
erdnasephile wrote:However, one of the things integral to the overall asthetic of a book is its physical design--everything from it's binding, size, paper quality, cover, etc.

I initially had the same thought (i.e., smaller format). However, the large physical size of this volume actually gives a real sense of the grandeur of the posters and broadsides contained within. I'm sure that would be diminished in a smaller format.

That's a really good point--I guess there's always going to be that balance between asthetics and practicality in a project such as this.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”