FS: Original Rings N Things Cups ... you know you want them.

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
John Clarkson

FS: Original Rings N Things Cups ... you know you want them.

Postby John Clarkson » August 24th, 2009, 11:51 am

I have two great items from the original Rings N Things that I purchased in the mid- to late 1970s at Hollywood Magic.(Yeah, when Burt Green worked there and Francis Carlyle would stop by occasionally.)

Here they are:

[size:14pt]1) [color:#FF0000][color:#FF0000]Monti Combo Cups (copper, long skirt).[/color][/size][/color] The model with the long skirt is apparently very difficult to find nowadays. I have not used them, so they are pristine. Instead of having them continue to sit in my display case collecting dust, I offer them for sale here. This set includes five red white crochet balls (honestly, I am not sure if the balls are the originals; one is gimmicked, of course) and the black drawstring sack. There are no scratches, dings, scuffs, scars or mars.

Price for the Monti Combo Set: Since these are out of production and a collector's item, it's tough to give you a reference point for price comparison. So, here's the deal: I am asking $475.00, including shipping CONUS. (Outside the U.S., actual shipping charges will be added to the price.) If you want insurance the price will be a few dollars higher. I can accept PayPal, but you'll need to add 3 percent to cover fees regardless of how your payment is funded. Purchasers outside the U.S. will need to add 4 percent because of cross-border transaction fees. I will also accept personal checks, and will ship when the check clears. If you think the asking price is too high, I am open to reasonable cash offers. If you think the asking price is too low, I am also open to reasonable cash offers. Highest offer before I get bored takes the set, but a firm "I'll take it at $475.00" takes it immediately.

If you are interested, I can take photos and send them to you via e-mail. In the meantime, you can see a brass version of the Monti Combo Set with long skirt in brass, or the Monti Set (no gimmick) with long skirt in copper, on Bill Palmer's Cups and Balls Museum site. (http://cupsandballsmuseum.com)

[size:14pt]2) [color:#FF0000]Don Alan Chop Cup (Copper)[/color].[/size] This cup has been lightly used, but is in excellent condition. No dings scuffs, scars or scratches -- other than what jewelers would call "micro-scratches". Included is the original red drawstring sack, two white crochet balls (again, I am not sure if the balls are the originals) and the original printed instructions. The new production of this cup by RNT II sells for $99.00, I think. For the same price, $99.99, plus actual shipping and insurance you have a chance to buy the original, a piece of history. If you use PayPal, please add 3 percent to cover fees regardless of how your payment is funded. Purchasers outside the U.S. will need to add 4 percent because of cross-border transaction fees. I will also accept personal checks, and will ship when the check clears.

If you are interested, I can take photos and send them to you via e-mail.

[size:14pt]Applicable to both: Make your offers by sending me an e-mail to jdclarkson@earthlink.net. [/size]
Posting an offer here doesn't count unless I happen to see it, and it is an offer I cannot refuse... Mere inquiries do not constitute an offer or hold the item.

Other required info:

Name: John Clarkson
Address: 67380 Medano Road; Cathedral City, CA 92234
Tele: (760) 408-5322 (Please don't call me!)

Thanks. Hope to hear from you soon.

John Clarkson

Re: FS: Original Rings N Things Cups ... additional information

Postby John Clarkson » August 24th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Here are some photos. Not very good. In fact, pretty bad, but they give you an idea. The white dots on the Combo Cups are not dings or pits. They are reflections.

Monti Combo Cups:
The Monti Combo cups weigh, on average, 6.5 ounces. The inside diameter of the mouth is about 2 9/16 inches. Each stands about 3 3/8" tall. Measurements are as accurate as I could do with a rules and a Cuisinart food scale.

Don Alan Chop Cup:

John Clarkson

Postby John Clarkson » August 24th, 2009, 8:07 pm

The Don Alan Cup has sold! Thank you.

Now someone should take the Monti Combo set home... Email me: jdclarkson@earthlink.net

John Clarkson

Postby John Clarkson » August 25th, 2009, 4:50 pm

So many of you have asked for pictures of the original Rings 'N Things Monti Combo set, that I have decided it would be easier to post them for public access. You can see high resolution pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/John.D.Clarkson/Cups# and blow them up to your hearts' content. You will see that they are in the same condition as in the 1970s when I bought them.

Below a lower res picture, since my first photo was so bad. So, now, please send your offers to jdclarkson@earthlink.net

Thank you!

John Clarkson

Postby John Clarkson » August 28th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Price reduction: $400.00 [color:#FF0000]or[/color] near offer, shipping CONUS included.All other terms the same (see original post).

There isn't likely to be another reduction. Contact me by clicking here: E-mail me!

Thanks!

John Clarkson

Re: FS: Original Rings N Things Cups ... Final Price Reduction

Postby John Clarkson » August 29th, 2009, 11:50 am

Final price reduction: $382.50 or very near offer, including shipping CONUS via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. If you want insurance, it will be about $5.00 more. (I can let you know when we strike our deal.) PayPal is fine, funded any way.

Some of you have asked about trades. I'm trying to simplify my life by reducing the number of things I own. A trade, even some of the very attractive offers I've received, would not help me accomplish my goal.

Please contact me here: jdclarson@earthlink.net

John Clarkson

Postby John Clarkson » September 3rd, 2009, 10:05 am

Sadly, the Monti Combo cups have not been claimed yet. I see that in my last post I mistyped my e-mail! Perhaps that's why. So, check our the photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/John.D.Clarkson/Cups# and then please contact me here: E-mail me!
[size:14pt]
Reasonable offers entertained. [/size]

I really don't want to put these on auction.

John Clarkson

Postby John Clarkson » September 9th, 2009, 9:24 am

Since I got so many initial inquiries and requests for photos, I am surprised no one has made an offer on these cups. So, unless someone here claims them before then, they go on eBay on Friday. If you want them, please make an offer before noon, 11 September 2009. After that, I'll be obliged to let them go to the highest bidder at auction. I had hoped these old babies would find a home with a serious magician.

Contact me here: E-mail me!

[size:14pt]Reasonable offers entertained.[/size]

John Clarkson

Postby John Clarkson » September 9th, 2009, 10:52 pm

The Monti Combo cups have been sold. Thank you!

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”