WTB: Expert at the Card Table Facsimile Edition 2002

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
dmrickle

WTB: Expert at the Card Table Facsimile Edition 2002

Postby dmrickle » February 5th, 2009, 4:57 am

Does anyone happen to have a copy of The Expert at the Card Table, the facsimile edition published in 2002 that they would like to sell?

I can be contacted at: nrickle1@rochester.rr.com

Thanks,
Dan

Darren Lawbuary

Re: WTB: Expert at the Card Table Facsimile Edition 2002

Postby Darren Lawbuary » February 6th, 2009, 2:05 pm

Your email address wasn't being recognised!

I have PM'd you.

Darren

UK
Remember, laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're asthmatic, then it's Ventolin.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » February 6th, 2009, 4:29 pm

In case anyone is interested, the facsimile edition is NOT out of print, just poorly distributed since Michael Canick closed his business. We are hoping to restock soon, but the negotiations have not been finalized and the price of copies will likely need to be raised from the original price of $52, given the cost of restocking.

AJM

Postby AJM » February 6th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Conscious of Marketplace Rules here, so treading carefully...

As this is the second such thread on this edition of EATCT in as many weeks, my view is that until the facsimile edition IS available (and how long can that take to sort out?) then the forces of supply and demand should be left to their own devices without any external influence.

Cheers

Andrew

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 6th, 2009, 8:55 pm

What do you mean by "external influence?"

Mysterious Kid

Postby Mysterious Kid » February 7th, 2009, 8:03 am

Mr. Hatch
The Book was limited to 750 copys, are you sure they were not yet sold?

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » February 7th, 2009, 10:20 am

This is the second thread, but both were started by the same person.

And by "external influence", I think he's saying that let people buy what they want now, since the book isn't being actively distributed by anyone currently. Personally, I think it's great that Richard is letting people know that the book will be readily available again soon and have no objections to it whatsoever.

750-1000 is about a typical run for a magic book, and I think most magic publishers would be happy to sell out that many. It generally doesn't happen, especially for a book that wasn't widely advertised, is only really of interest to a small section of collectors, and was only available via one seller who closed down his business several years ago. Richard has managed to get in touch with the anonymous publisher now and my understanding is that he's planning to stock up from the remaining supply.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » February 7th, 2009, 10:50 am

Mysterious Kid wrote:Mr. Hatch
The Book was limited to 750 copys, are you sure they were not yet sold?

Yes, I am sure. The problem restocking them is a logistical one. I anticipate that when we do restock the books will be repriced at $75 each due to the cost of restocking.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 7th, 2009, 11:18 am

I think I'm missing something here. These books are still in cases and are not sold out. Why would the price go up? The same person starts the thread twice? This title is readily available in other editions and at discount. Hmmmm.

What am I missing?
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Darren Lawbuary

Postby Darren Lawbuary » February 7th, 2009, 11:34 am

I'm not TOO sure how serious the thread-starter is to be honest. His email address is not being recognised, nor is he responding to my PM.

I would gladly sell him MY copy.

Peace, love, respect,

Darren
Remember, laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're asthmatic, then it's Ventolin.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 7th, 2009, 11:55 am

The font, stampings etc. is pretty weak for making this book so desirable(?). 750 copies is a lot of books for such a small market.

From what Darren says above, I tend to agree. I might even add that someone might be trying to hype old stock. The information given here doesn't add up.
Please visit my website.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 7th, 2009, 12:05 pm

Darren Lawbuary wrote:I'm not TOO sure how serious the thread-starter is to be honest. His email address is not being recognised, nor is he responding to my PM.

I would gladly sell him MY copy.

Peace, love, respect,

Darren

I know the OP wishing to acquire a copy.
I am certain that he is serious as a heart attack and wishes to purchase a copy immediately and is willing to pay a fair price for being able to do so.

He is likely put off by these replies to wait for uncertain delivery and future prices.

He made his price range known in his first thread on this book and if your shipped price does not exceed that amount you will likely be contacted.

If your shipped price exceeds it, you will likely hear nothing.

BTW- As a police buff, who's the Sheriff of Nottingham now? :)

It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » February 7th, 2009, 12:06 pm

Those who clearly know nothing about the special nature of this particular edition should probably keep quiet rather than speculate to the detriment of others who are selling/would like to sell?

Clearly some people think this is just another old edition of EATC - they should do some research before spouting off

Bob

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 7th, 2009, 12:08 pm

Magic Randy wrote:
Kevin Connolly wrote:The font, stampings etc. is pretty weak for making this book so desirable(?). 750 copies is a lot of books for such a small market.

From what Darren says above, I tend to agree. I might even add that someone might be trying to hype old stock. The information given here doesn't add up.

Sorry I responded to the post.

1) I have one
2) I like it
3) I shared what I know about it
4) I shared what I paid for it

You may think the description is too weak to justify the price - so be it. I'm not hyping the book, just sharing information.

Randy,

I didn't say you were hyping it. It was an add on to Darren's opinion. I shared what I know from my end.

PS. If you feel bad about posting it, you have time to delete.
Please visit my website.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 7th, 2009, 12:14 pm

Ray T. Stott wrote:[

[/b]

Hard to get a reply when the email doesn't work. PM notices are off too?
Please visit my website.

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » February 7th, 2009, 12:30 pm

Kevin Connolly wrote:PS. If you feel bad about posting it, you have time to delete.

Done.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 7th, 2009, 12:34 pm

Kevin Connolly wrote:I think I'm missing something here. These books are still in cases and are not sold out. Why would the price go up? The same person starts the thread twice? This title is readily available in other editions and at discount. Hmmmm.

What am I missing?

KC,
Rumor abounds that these unsold copies are located in Europe and the inbound transportation costs will likely be costly.
I have several copies of this book that were won on eBay years ago.

There was one seller that listed this particular book regularly, like Denny Haney and Miracle Factory's Art of Magic std ed., that were still in the shrink.

In fact, I won another copy on eBay 22 June 2006 that was listed by Denny and Lee.

As I mentioned earlier, I know the person who started both threads.
Dan lives in New York and when he decides on a book, he wants it immediately.
There is no surreptitious hyping going on - that I promise you. :)

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » February 7th, 2009, 12:36 pm

Bob Walder wrote:Those who clearly know nothing about the special nature of this particular edition should probably keep quiet rather than speculate to the detriment of others who are selling/would like to sell?

Clearly some people think this is just another old edition of EATC - they should do some research before spouting off

Bob

I agree.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 7th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Kevin Connolly wrote:
Ray T. Stott wrote:

Hard to get a reply when the email doesn't work. PM notices are off too?

His email worked fine for me.
I contacted him last night about the activity on his thread and he replied with a thank you.
Don't know anything about the PMs.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 7th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Ray T. Stott wrote:
Kevin Connolly wrote:I think I'm missing something here. These books are still in cases and are not sold out. Why would the price go up? The same person starts the thread twice? This title is readily available in other editions and at discount. Hmmmm.

What am I missing?

KC,
Rumor abounds that these unsold copies are located in Europe and the inbound transportation costs will likely be costly.
I have several copies of this book that were won on eBay years ago.

There was one seller that listed this particular book regularly, like Denny Haney and Miracle Factory's Art of Magic std ed., that were still in the shrink.

As I mentioned earlier, I know the person who started both threads.
He lives in New York and when he decides on a book, he wants it immediately.
There is no surreptitious hyping going on - that I promise you. :)

Ray,

I understand the guy wants it. If his email is not posted correctly or the PM notification is not being responded to. what gives?

I collected many limited edition books myself. This title with even a smaller market than the Houdini market just doesn't add up. From this thread we know that it was poorly marketed, they are available from storage, etc. Even Houdini limited editions of late are still lying around by the hundreds, still unsold. To me, it's hype.

I'll stick with Houdini and truly "Rare" books.

OR just print up 50 copies of EATC.

I'm done...
Please visit my website.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 7th, 2009, 12:59 pm

I'm done...

As am I.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 7th, 2009, 8:13 pm

Magic Randy wrote:
Bob Walder wrote:Those who clearly know nothing about the special nature of this particular edition should probably keep quiet rather than speculate to the detriment of others who are selling/would like to sell?

Bob

I agree.

So confused . . . are you implying that it would be wrong for someone to inform a poster that the book he wants is NOT out of print?

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » February 7th, 2009, 9:39 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:
Magic Randy wrote:

Bob

I agree.

So confused . . . are you implying that it would be wrong for someone to inform a poster that the book he wants is NOT out of print?

No. I did not imply that at all. I'm fully aware that while the book is not generally available, there are more left. I also know Richard is seeking these books and will make them available at a fair price when he succeeds in securing them.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 7th, 2009, 11:52 pm

You folks get all kinds of worked up over things that really don't deserve it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 8th, 2009, 3:16 pm

Magic Randy wrote:
Brad Henderson wrote:
Magic Randy wrote:

Bob

No. I did not imply that at all. I'm fully aware that while the book is not generally available, there are more left. I also know Richard is seeking these books and will make them available at a fair price when he succeeds in securing them.

Then what is this about? Is it this the big "secret person who secretly financed the project" secret that you are talking about?

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 8th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Please give Magic Randy a break fellows.

I know him and he is a knowledgeable magic bibliophile and collector.

He was only offering an opinion.

Gentlemen can always agree to disagree. :)

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 8th, 2009, 3:58 pm

I don't mean to sound as if I am harassing him, I am sincerely confused. He seems to imply something super duper secret and special about this edition, and to do that on an open forum invites follow up. I have the edition and know part of at least one rumor surrounding it. Apparently there is more?

Brad

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » February 8th, 2009, 4:56 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:I don't mean to sound as if I am harassing him, I am sincerely confused. He seems to imply something super duper secret and special about this edition, and to do that on an open forum invites follow up. I have the edition and know part of at least one rumor surrounding it. Apparently there is more?

Brad

Sorry Brad, I'm really not trying to imply anything.

I have a few of the annotated editions of EATCT, a few other editions of EATCT, and this edition. This edition is special, at least to me, by virtue of the fact it is not special. I'm not aware of any other recent printing of a hard cover edition faithful to the original that is available. So I'm happy to have it in my collection. Some may question how valuable the book is. I myself paid $100 and thought that was OK. It is hard to find. Others would not pay that much, which is also fine.

There may be rumors about the book, but all I know is that 750 were printed, and some were never sold. Richard apparently is trying to secure the remaining inventory and offer them for sale. From Ray's post it sounds like the remaining inventory is in Europe, which would explain why it is taking Richard some time to get the logistics sorted out.

So to summarize, I have the book and am happy to have it in my collection. The only thing that makes it special is that it is a reasonable facsimile to the original.

Randy

Doc Dixon

Postby Doc Dixon » February 8th, 2009, 11:54 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:You folks get all kinds of worked up over things that really don't deserve it.

That line could be inserted into 99% of magic discussions and be 100% accurate.

DD

dmrickle

Postby dmrickle » February 12th, 2009, 4:17 pm

Hi Darren,

My email is: nrickle1@rochester.rr.com

I also have a Yahoo email: justme4673@yahoo.com

You have a copy of this book for sale?

Those 2 emails are all I have for anyone to reach me.
Here is my phone number if you like: 315-986-2227 (USA)

Thanks Darren,

Dan

dmrickle

Postby dmrickle » February 12th, 2009, 4:32 pm

I haven't been following the postings here, I don't login that much. The people here who know me, and have sold me books .... they know I am not doing any funny business. I would just like a nice copy of this book, that's all.

I posted my email address. Here it is again: nrickle1@rochester.rr.com

Many thanks,

Daniel Rickless
Macedon, NY

Dan

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » March 20th, 2009, 2:12 pm

The final stock of new copies of the Centennial Edition are en route to us and are scheduled to be in stock on Wednesday, March 25th. Anyone wishing to pre-order may do so at the following link:

http://www.magicbookshop.com/product_in ... ts_id=7941

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » March 20th, 2009, 2:21 pm

Hi Richard,
If I may ask, how many copies are you getting in?

For those of us who purchased this book at a time when it appeared there were none left, knowing how many are now available might assist us in determining the value of our personal copies as it relates to what we actually paid for them.

It also might encourage us to purchase one or two more copies from you as well!!

Cheers

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » March 20th, 2009, 3:09 pm

Roger M. wrote:Hi Richard,
If I may ask, how many copies are you getting in?

Less than 750...

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » March 20th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Actually, without putting an exact number on it (I won't know for sure till we count them), we are getting enough to fill the short term demand, but my realistic expectation is that the book will be out of print by the end of the summer. At least one well known collector of Erdnase editions has already reserved 12 copies from us. I'm not sure if that is as an investment or as future gifts or just because he likes owning them, but we won't be able to fill too many such orders before the stock is gone!

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”