FSH: The Magic Magic Book by Ricky Jay

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

FSH: The Magic Magic Book by Ricky Jay

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 4th, 2009, 3:49 am

For Sale:

From of a limited edition of only 300 copies: 75 Artists copies, 75 copies reserved for Library Fellows, 50 copies with an additional suite of original artists prints (listed with no price in the prospectus), and only 100 copies for sale to the general public:

The Magic Magic Book: An Inquiry into the Venerable History & Operation of the Oldest Trick Conjuring Volumes, Designated Blow Books

Published by the Library Fellows of the Whitney Museum of American Art, 1994

Original Artwork by

Vija Celmins
Jane Hammond
Glenn Ligon
Justen Ladda
Philip Taaffe
William Wegman

Historical Essay by Ricky Jay

Published in Two Volumes:

The first is a 93 (plus viii) page treatise on the history and working of the magic blow book; a well written and fascinating read (as is usual with Jays written works). There is also a page (at the back of the volume) with the authors and artists autographs (Jays calligraphic initials in ink; the artists signatures appear to be in pencil).

The second volume is the magic blow book itself.

Both volumes are housed in a sumptuous box of dark navy blue silk adorned with playing card pips stamped in red and silver metallic foil.

The condition of this work is near mint (I have read the essay volume, but have done very little flipping of the blow book).

This is Number 144 of this very limited edition of books. It is the centerpiece of my collection and it is only current circumstances that are leading me to offer it for sale to a good home. This scarce set of books is no longer available at the Whitney Museum. When they last offered them (about five years ago), they were selling them at $2,500. Recent searches of (reasonably priced) sets for sale reveal one priced at $3,006 and another for $3,500. I am asking $2,750 (firm) post paid and insured to the United States only.*

As a bonus the buyer will also receive an original prospectus for the set sent out by the Whitney Museum. The $3,006/$3,500 editions do not offer this difficult to find ephemeral companion.

I accept and prefer PayPal (bank transfers only please) and will accept Postal or Bank Money Orders (allow extra time for processing before shipment).

Serious interested parties please email me at dustin13@cox.net or PM me here.

I can also be contact via the Genii office during their normal business hours:

4200 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Suite 106-384
Washington, DC 20016
(301) 652-5800

Thank you for you consideration,

Dustin Stinett

*I will consider international buyers but the price will increase accordingly and customs will be the responsibility of the buyer as well.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: FSH: The Magic Magic Book by Ricky Jay

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 4th, 2009, 3:50 pm

I cannot believe no one has snapped this unique book up at this bargain price!
For any Ricky Jay fan or collector this is the ultimate piece.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Kamal

Postby Kamal » February 4th, 2009, 4:00 pm

If the currency exchange rate was like it was 12 months ago - I would have snapped this up in a second. :(

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 5th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Apparently this deal is not good enough. Well, I am not going to lower the price, but I can sweeten the deal. So, if youve been sitting on the fence, perhaps this will push you over:

Along with this incredible set of books and the original prospectus, I will throw in as my gift to the buyer a complete Ricky Jays $100 Sweets box, as pitched by Ricky Jay during his On the Stem show.

So here is what your $2,750 will get you seriatim:

The Magic Magic Book set (current value approximately $3,500)

An original prospectus for the set (current value unknown but at least $25 given its rarely seen for sale)

A Ricky Jays $100 Sweets box that still contains all the items that came with it when purchased at the show (current value $75 to $100)

But wait! Theres more!

I will also toss in a one-sheet Ricky Jay and His 52 Assistants poster from his appearance in Washington DC. This is the grayscale poster used to paper the area and has theater information on it. This poster is dinged, but its still in pretty decent shape and should look very good framed. (Current value is about $100 and will be shipped separately at no additional cost [no Ben, this is not the same poster I offered you; this one is not in the same condition and I will likely sell it separately soon].)

Okay, so heres the complete deal (and this is it folksno more extras and no discounts):

The Set of Books
The Prospectus
The Sweets
The Poster

A (about) $3,700 value for only $2,750 post paid (to the USA International buyers will need to kick in a little more).

Take advantage of this deal before I come to my senses!

Thanks,
Dustin

magicam

Postby magicam » February 5th, 2009, 7:17 pm

IMHO, Dustin is giving short shrift to the quality of the book production. Everything about this set of books is a delight to read, look at, and hold. If there is art to printing, this set is an example of it, as the typography and illustrations are beautiful.

Another thing is, while there are few guarantees in life, it is extremely unlikely that this set will ever be reprinted. This is it, and copies are rarely offered for sale in my experience.

Finally, given the nature of how the copies were circulated and sold, relatively few found their way into the magic community. Books like this are attractive to other types of collectors, including collectors of fine press books.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 7th, 2009, 3:38 am

On hold.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 7th, 2009, 2:11 pm

SOLD (to a very good home)!

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » February 7th, 2009, 6:07 pm

Someone got a very good deal. Sorry I couldn't do it myself.

some-idiot

Postby some-idiot » September 30th, 2015, 8:53 am

I know I am resurrecting an old thread (and please correct me if I am out of place) but I wanted to post that I have a beautiful set of these books I would be willing to sell (#162 with signatures). It is only due to my current circumstances I am considering doing so. If interested please feel free to contact me. Thanks for your time and consideration. (nipper 2 u at gmail dot com)

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”