Belly Stripper deck

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
LaMont

Belly Stripper deck

Postby LaMont » April 14th, 2008, 10:35 pm

Hi,

I recently acquired an old Aviator Bridge deck of belly strippers
it was described as a barrel deck. It consists of one half concave shaved diamonds and hearts (A-K) and one half convex shaved diamonds and hearts (A-K). Does anyone remember what trick this particular deck was used for or know of any good references for tricks with belly strippers?

Thanks.

LaMont

LaMont

Re: Belly Stripper deck

Postby LaMont » May 15th, 2008, 8:38 pm

Hi,

Here is an update. I have been told by several fellow magicians that this deck may have been created for a trick by George Sands. He may have produced several of these decks after being taught the technique by John Scarne. Any thoughts?

LaMont

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » May 16th, 2008, 1:47 pm

If the cards are set to divide into full ace-to-king runs, then the deck is not that which was marketed by George Sands for his "Extra Sandsational Perception" routine.

LaMont

Postby LaMont » May 18th, 2008, 1:21 am

Thanks Max. It could be assembled to form a entirely red Mene- Tekel deck but I don't see a particular purpose for that. Do you have a reference for the "Extra Sandsational Perception" routine?

LaMont

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » May 18th, 2008, 2:28 pm

The George Sands trick was a marketed item. I think it came out in the 1970s.

LaMont

Postby LaMont » May 19th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Hi Max,

Thanks for the info.

LaMont

Terry_Holley

Postby Terry_Holley » May 19th, 2008, 10:41 pm

I have the original 8 page booklet that came out before the cards were produced. I saw George perform this and I thought it was very good, so I bought the book and attempted to make the cards myself. They didn't look good and I never performed the routine.

You can find the routine here:

http://www.alansands.com/store/52years.html

Terry

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 19th, 2008, 11:21 pm

On the same website there is a video of George Sands performing "Sandsational Ropes." Look here:
http://www.alansands.com/store/sandsrope.html
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » May 20th, 2008, 4:10 am

When I met George Sands in 1994, I bought some belly stripper decks from him and they came with the instructions for the memory routine. There were two decks per set, one concave and one convex.

Dave V

Postby Dave V » May 20th, 2008, 12:44 pm

After buying Extra Sandsational Perception from George during one of his lecture visits to Las Vegas, I eventually made up my own set. At the time the ones he was selling were pretty heavily cut and it was visually obvious what was going on. I couldn't accurately cut concave cards so I did a mix of convex and narrow cards. Harder to strip, but also harder to detect. I lost the printed instructions years ago, but the sequence he used was simple enough that I can still recall the card order some 20 years later.
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"

Alan Sands

Postby Alan Sands » January 30th, 2012, 10:34 pm

A little late, but still - all the same, I sell two decks of belly strippers, and I sell two routines my father created for using belly strippers. if anyone is interested, contact me at alansands@gmail.com and I will direct you to my store where there is a lot of info on there describing what they do, how to use them and the routines I sell that my father, George Sands, created with them. The decks I sell are precision made and I have never had anyone say they were unhappy with the decks he had cut.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”