Sidewalk Shuffle

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Steve Mills

Sidewalk Shuffle

Postby Steve Mills » September 11th, 2003, 7:43 am

Somewhere, somehow I've lost my Sidewalk Shuffle - The Ken Brooke version. I thought it would be a simple matter to call Joe Stevens and get a new one. Unfortunately, all they have now is the Paul Stone version use $ signs instead of the Aces - I got it, but don't like it.

Ken's version had a coating which allowed you to mark the cards with on overhead projector pen - I think it adds something.

Does anyone know of a source for cards of this type?

Thanks.....
Steve

Pete Biro

Re: Sidewalk Shuffle

Postby Pete Biro » September 11th, 2003, 9:20 am

Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2003, 9:00 pm

Hi,

You also might check with Joe or Mark Stevens at Stevens Magic Emporium. They carry all the Ken Brooks stuff.

http://www.stevensmagic.com

Good luck,

Bob Phillips

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 12th, 2003, 9:18 am

Stevnes gets lots of the Ken Brooke material from Paul Stone, and I bet that version (with the $$) is what Stevens has.

Stone still owns the U.K. rights to the Brooke line. Stevens owns the U.S. and Zauber Central, in Munich, the German rights.
Stay tooned.

Rob Signs

Postby Rob Signs » September 12th, 2003, 11:24 am

I'm not familiar with the Ken Brooke version, but Martin Lewis has a version that I think is still available. http://www.magikraft.com/ click on "shop" and "close up"

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2003, 12:44 pm

Bob King has a superb (ungaffed) version of "The Sidewalk Shuffle." Alas, the name of his effect escapes me... I believe he this was printed in some notes and/or sold seperately.

Also worth checking out is:
"Surreal Monte" from Racherbaumer's 'Cardfixes'

regards,
Doug Conn
www.dougconn.com

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » September 12th, 2003, 2:27 pm

Coincidentally, "Surreal Monte" will be posted on my Website next month. Other magicians with ungaffed versions are Louis Falanga (in his first booklet) and Dave Neighbors (in his lecture notes and booklets). All are worthy of study.

Onward,

JR
www.JonRacherbaumer.com

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 12th, 2003, 4:28 pm

Martin Lewis' site definitely has the "good" cards for the Sidewalk Shuffle. The Fred Kaps handling (IMHO) was the best.... I used it on trade shows with the company logo in the corner.

Altho for regular work, I liked to mark the card with a big "X" in the corner with a dry mark pen.

One great trick for sure. :p
Stay tooned.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » September 13th, 2003, 9:23 pm

Steve,

Check out this link:

http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/A ... cks__.html

The second item is a set of A4 sized Sidewalk Shuffle cards. They are laminated so they should work with your marker. I'm just pointing them out to you, I have no knowledge of the quality. Perhaps someone in the UK can elaborate.

Frank Yuen

Randy Sager

Postby Randy Sager » September 13th, 2003, 10:01 pm

I just thought I would throw My two cents in (or is that zero cents?) Since a couple of ungaffed versions have been mentioned I tought I would add that Fred Kaps also had an ungaffed version called The only Three Card Trick In The World Useing 4 cards. It is very good as well. The late Doug Henning used this on one of his t.v. specials.

Postby Guest » September 14th, 2003, 2:28 am

Hi Steve,
You may get the Ken Brooke version of Sidewalk Shuffle from "Zaubern Zentrale" in Munich.
It is the original size, format and front and back patterns.

They can be marked (at least with a red wax, as Kaps used to do).

The only difference is that instead of coated cardboard they are some PVC ( I think it is "polipropilen"? ) material , and a little bit more flexible.The price is 36.80 euros

I still have the original ones from Ken Brooke Shop, quite worn, and use both sets , marking the cards each time of course!!.

The link: <www.zauberzentrale.de> you need a customer's password, so if not, you are instructed to use "Gast" as ID and "gloria" as password (respect High and low cases)
It is german ,but you may have a look to the pictures.

Best luck

Camilo

Postby Guest » September 14th, 2003, 7:30 am

Roy Johnson has an excellent handling of Sidewalk Shuffle. He calls it "The Con" and can be found in his book "Pure Gold" published in 1988.

Ed Fultz

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 14th, 2003, 5:01 pm

The original trick was Joe Ridings' "The only three card trick using four cards" - then Martin Lewis came up with the idea using the mis-spotted cards.

Ken Brooke put this on the market, then Fred Kaps, who had been doing the Riding Trick was sent a set of Martin's cards by Ken Brooke. Fred then worked out a simpler, and in my opinion, super handling taking a marker and putting an "X" on the blank card so you could tell it from an Ace - which is a funny bit.

So, Ken then marketed the Sidewalk Shuffle with the Kaps handling.

When Paul Stone took over manufacturing and distribution of the Ken Brooke line, it appears he thought the better way was to put a "$" sign on the cards.

Methinks this killed the trick. But thankfully the original kind of cards are still available.

Now, however, I prefer to do Ken Brooke's handling for Chase the Ace... it just fits my style better. :genii:
Stay tooned.

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » September 14th, 2003, 10:11 pm

Randy:

Great memory.

Randy Sager

Postby Randy Sager » September 15th, 2003, 5:29 am

Originally posted by Geno Munari:
Randy:

Great memory.
Thanks Geno. Some of the guys ask me from time to time how I remember all of these things. I don't have a clue. I guess it is from years of doing My magic homework.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » September 15th, 2003, 9:20 am

I located the Falanga method. It is in LAKE TAHOE CARD MAGIC (1985), called "Virgina City Shuffle."

JR

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » September 15th, 2003, 9:41 am

^^^ I believe the Falanga "Virginia City Shuffle" can also be found on Ammars ETMCM #5.

Postby Guest » October 23rd, 2004, 6:20 pm

ken brooke had 2 versions of the sidewalk shuffle there was the cheaper version with the spots on the cards and there was the version he liked better with the thicker cards and you used a magic marker on the blanks.

he taught me that version and it was as the brits love to say "brilllleeeyeent"

marking the x's on the cards was great.

i took lessons from him at 3 pounds a half hour.

That trick was one of my favorites along with spotty dots and the malini egg bag. The 3 card trick with 4 cards was the best because Ken had always warned me about the hustlers in London that used to work on Shaftsbury Avenue and the other streets. As a kid I was fascinated by these guys cuz there was always alot of people standing around these boxes and this guy was doing what I thought was magic. I watched innocently a couple of times and heard them shouting and clapping. One time I saw these people doing the trick and then they all yelled out "the police" and all of a sudden the people disbursed in different directions and the boxes were left behind....

Ken told me and my friend Tim Butler that these were hustlers no matter what happened you would always lose. I was amazed. He said he would see these guys counting their money at night in the bars in Soho. Then that trick came out. The Fred Kaps version was great.

There are 3 moves. The first one talks about the 3 card trick players in the street. But I just saw a guy with 4 cards. etc.

Postby Guest » October 23rd, 2004, 6:21 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
The original trick was Joe Ridings' "The only three card trick using four cards" - then Martin Lewis came up with the idea using the mis-spotted cards.

Ken Brooke put this on the market, then Fred Kaps, who had been doing the Riding Trick was sent a set of Martin's cards by Ken Brooke. Fred then worked out a simpler, and in my opinion, super handling taking a marker and putting an "X" on the blank card so you could tell it from an Ace - which is a funny bit.

So, Ken then marketed the Sidewalk Shuffle with the Kaps handling.

When Paul Stone took over manufacturing and distribution of the Ken Brooke line, it appears he thought the better way was to put a "$" sign on the cards.

Methinks this killed the trick. But thankfully the original kind of cards are still available.

Now, however, I prefer to do Ken Brooke's handling for Chase the Ace... it just fits my style better. :genii:

Postby Guest » October 23rd, 2004, 6:24 pm

Pete - Chase the Ace was a Harry Stanley Trick with big cards. Great trick. I always loved it. Used it for many years. But the 3 card trick with 4 cards, originally a trick with an envelope and some cards, then the sidewalk shuffle then fred kaps version....evolved...I used the fred kaps version with the x's and the magic marker.....ken taught me.

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » October 24th, 2004, 1:26 am

Might as well provide the starting point for "Chase the Ace" -- Theodore DeLand's "Pickitout," marketed in 1908.

As for ungaffed versions of Martin Lewis' "Sidewalk Shuffle," in addition to the Louis Falanga routine and others mentioned here, there's a viable version in the New Tops for December 1985.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » October 24th, 2004, 12:13 pm

The Joe Riding version is, in many ways, superior to the various gaffed card versions.

First, because regular cards are used, you can use the best cards for the job -- full-face court cards and aces (or, my preference, jokers). The contrast between the cards heightens the impact of the effect because they are so different.

Second, if a nasty spectator grabs a card off the table, he'll find nothing -- the cards are ungaffed.

Third the effects are the same as in the gaffed version -- with no gaffs.

Joe Riding has come up with a lot of great material -- Joe we need a book!

Frank Starsinic

Postby Frank Starsinic » October 24th, 2004, 12:15 pm

I love that effect..
"Va. City Shuffle"

Very clean, very magical. No gaffus.

Ahhhhh!!!!!

I created a Jumbo Card version several years ago by purchasing some cheap jumbo cards and erasing the pips off of the low red spot cards with a pencil eraser. Took a while but it was worth the effort.

Frank

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”