"Auhentic Danny Dew Paul Fox cups on eBay"

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

"Auhentic Danny Dew Paul Fox cups on eBay"

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2004, 3:36 pm

WARNING!!!!

If you have bid on the "Paul Fox Cup Cups Set Original Auhentic Danny Dew" currently being offered on eBay (# 6113518538), you might want to rethink your bid.

I received the following e-mail from the seller:
"Well, yes, each of these cups is "stamped" with the Paul Fox initials in the inside on the bottom."

I checked with Barry Schorr on this one. According to Barry, who has bought and sold many sets of authentic Danny Dew cups, Danny did not hallmark his cups. These are most likely Jeff Busby cups. I have informed the seller of this, but the auction is still running.

Pete Biro

Re: "Auhentic Danny Dew Paul Fox cups on eBay"

Postby Pete Biro » August 20th, 2004, 4:30 pm

Are not the Buzzard cups more scarce than the dooooz?
Stay tooned.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » August 20th, 2004, 7:53 pm

Danny Dew did not hallmark his cups. Nor did Jeff Busby when he first took over the Paul Fox design. I believe he added his (Busby's) "double-circled PF" logo around 1984. Whether these cups are more or less available than Danny Dew-made cups is not the point, Pete, though I don't believe that's really the case. If they are hallmarked inside, they simply aren't Danny Dew-made.

Michael

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2004, 9:02 pm

The Buzzard's cups may, indeed, be more scarce than the real ones. However, the point is now moot. The seller has cancelled the auction due to an error in the listing.

Could be that someone pointed out that she misspelled "Authentic." I used the title exactly as she posted it.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 20th, 2004, 9:30 pm

I think its admirable that the seller closed the auction. Its quite possible that the seller honestly believed (or was counseled) that the cups were authentic Dew Fox cups vs. authentic Busby Fox cups. Perhaps it took the seller time to check into your information prior to pulling the plug (I know that I would double check, particularly if I was told one thing by one source and something different from another). If they are re-listed, it will be with a revised description, and Id wager that the seller will still get an admirable price.

Dustin

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2004, 1:56 am

I'm reasonably sure that is exactly what happened. I was very careful when I wrote my reply to her not to accuse her of any wrongdoing. I simply let her know what I knew. The judgment was entirely hers.

She will probably do well on the re-listing. If she asks me, I will tell her three or four other sources for the information.

My real field of expertise is the 5-string banjo. I see incorrectly described instruments on eBay all the time. I am very careful never to accuse anyone of intentionally misleading anyone. It's easy to tell who the crooks are, though. They get belligerent. The honest people just change their listings.

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2004, 5:17 pm

We'll have a set of the Busby Fox cups in the next Martinka auction (it begins Sept 13th).

:genii:

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”