Select Secrets....the search continues....

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Select Secrets....the search continues....

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 25th, 2002, 7:39 am

So far I've tried Magic Inc. and was told that Vernon's Select Secrets is out of print. I also tried
Ash's Magic and was met on the phone by a lady who had difficulty distinguishing Select Secrets from
from the Inner Secrets Trilogy. Richard Hatch from H&R Magic Books in Texas has pulled miracles for me before--
but even his powers are limited. I'm trying to locate a copy of Select Secrets to learn Vernon's "Follow the Leader."
Mike Skinner praised it in Classic Sampler which made me very curious about this effect. Perhaps it's
buried in the literature somewhere right in front of me and I can't see it. :cool:

Remco

Re: Select Secrets....the search continues....

Postby Remco » April 25th, 2002, 8:10 am

I am not 100 % sure, but I think there is a version of Vernon's follow the leader' in Greater Magic.
I'll check it, when I get home.

Remco

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 25th, 2002, 8:31 am

Follow The Leader can be found in "Scarne on Card Tricks." Juan Tamariz also has a version on his video set.

-Jim

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 25th, 2002, 9:41 am

Thanks fellas, I will follow up on your tips. :)

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » April 25th, 2002, 10:04 am

Don't know if you tried him yet but Andy Grget is another guy who may very well have it. Here's his contact info.:

John A. Greget
Magic Lists
5575 E. Sheena Drive
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
(602) 404-3100 (Voice)
(602) 303-3200 (Fax)

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 25th, 2002, 10:26 am

Thanks for your help Tom. You are about as determined to see me find this manuscript as I am!
I will call Mr. Greget this evening to found out if he has a spare copy. My search is now veering from Chicago to the deserts of Arizona! It's beginning to feel like Vernon's famed search for
the legendary Mr. Kennedy and his Middle Deal. I remember seeing Select Secrets advertised in
Tannen's catalog back in the 70's and went right by it. Sigh.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » April 25th, 2002, 11:37 am

Yes I am determined to help you find it. I know how frustarating it can be when you're searching for a book or manuscript you really want. I think we've all been in that position.
Hope it helps and let me know the outcome. (Although if Andy doesn't have it I'm out of ideas.)

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 25th, 2002, 11:49 am

Another potential source might be Michael Canick in NYC. Go to www.canick.com for his contact info.

-Jim

Remco

Postby Remco » April 25th, 2002, 12:18 pm

Vernon's 'Follow the leader' is indeed in Greater Magic. You can find it on page 578 of the Kaufman and Greenberg edition. (The card stars chapter)

Remco

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » April 25th, 2002, 6:03 pm

A quick word in defense of the lady at Ash's magic that "couldn't distinguish Select Secrets from the Inner Secrets Trilogy" - That was almost assuredly "Mrs. Ash". The shop is a study in chaos, yet I have asked her for things and she walks directly to one of the many overstocked shelves, thrusts her hand deep behind the visible layers of products and withdraws exactly what I'm looking for. It's the best sightless vision routine I've ever seen.

Postby Guest » April 26th, 2002, 8:58 am

Email me privately. I have a copy I'd be willing to let go if the price is right.
Rick

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 29th, 2002, 7:29 am

Thanks again for your response Tom. I mailed a paper letter to Mr. Greget since you didn't include his e-mail in your post reply. My letter included my e-mail address so I hope he utilizes that to get in touch with me. I also called and left a message on his answering machine.

Thanks for the Canick tip Jim but I've had trouble with Mr. Canick in the past over the phone. His prices are high and his patience is short.

I meant no disrespect to the lady at Ash's Magic in Chicago Eric, I only described what happened over the phone. Whenever I mentioned Select Secrets she kept bringing up Inner Secrets. It truly was a "Sightless Vision" for me because I couldn't help her locate it over the phone.

Thanks for the tip Remco--now where can I get a copy of Greater Magic.....? ;)

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”