Water Torture Cell replica controversy?

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Water Torture Cell replica controversy?

Postby JohnCox » January 4th, 2006, 9:57 am

In putting together a little photographic history of the Houdini Water Torture Cell for my website, and I can across this interesting article from the Las Vegas Weekly, 2003. It talks about the discovery of a perfect replica of the USD, allegedly made by John Gaughan without Sid Radner's blessing, and that legal action was being taken.

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/2003/12/11/upfront4.html

Does anyone have any follow-up information on this? I've seen pics of Sid and John standing together smiling in front of the one-and-only USD at the 2004 Great Houdini auction, so obviously something was resolved. Was this replica destroyed as Sid wanted?

:genii:
www.houdini-lives.com
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

John LeBlanc

Re: Water Torture Cell replica controversy?

Postby John LeBlanc » January 4th, 2006, 10:10 am

Interesting. That was a story from 2003, when the prop was valued at $1.5 million. At the auction it sold for $300,000.

Breach of contract -- that's a serious thing to accuse another of. Would you kindly refresh my memory as to what Houdini's will stated was to be the dispensation of the cell?

John
http://www.escamoteurettes.com/blog/

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » January 4th, 2006, 10:23 am

Originally posted by John LeBlanc:
Would you kindly refresh my memory as to what Houdini's will stated was to be the dispensation of the cell?
Houdini's Will stipulated that all his magic apparatus go to his brother, Hardeen, and that they should be "burnt and destroyed" upon Hardeen's death. Hardeen instead gave and/or sold the props to Sid Radner.

Ironically, the Houdini Magical Hall of Fame, where many of the props, including the USD, were on loan, burned down in the 1990s destroying the vast majority of themjust as Houdini wished.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » January 4th, 2006, 11:27 am

There was a rather lengthy discussion of the Water Torture Cell's history in the January 2005 Genii. Yes, there indeed has been some controversy about a reproduction that was made of the Water Torture Cell. The Las Vegas Weekly article is correct in who the players in this dispute are. I understand, however, that this replica was not an operational model, but rather designed as a unique piece of display furniture and is being used as a bookcase in the maker/owner's office. Sid Radner saw the situation differently.

Tom Ladshaw

Postby Tom Ladshaw » January 4th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Originally posted by zencat:
Houdini's Will stipulated that all his magic apparatus go to his brother, Hardeen, and that they should be "burnt and destroyed" upon Hardeen's death. Hardeen instead gave and/or sold the props to Sid Radner. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Thanks to Hurricane Katrina, I can't check my own "archives" right now...but didn't Hardeen have a protege' (not Radner) who ended up with much of his show equipment? I seem to remember a young fellow working with Hardeen and even filling in for him at times during his run in "Hellzapoppin'".

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 4th, 2006, 12:51 pm

John Gaughan did build a non-working replica of the Water Torture cell for himself when he restored it (prior to the fire).
I have no idea what the current status of Sid Radner's supposed legal action is. It's probably a dead issue.
It's my understanding that the bulk of the Houdini material in the Museum was not burned in the fire. Most of the good stuff is now in David Copperfield's posession, with the exception of Psycho, which is now owned by John Gaughan.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » January 4th, 2006, 3:40 pm

The items burned in the fire were reported to include 2 strait jackets, a "Plate Glass" box, the "Flight of Karma," "Sarcophogus" and "the Blue Room," some posters, including a perhaps unique 8 sheet, some small props, the sealed envelop containing Houdini's secret message, and the Water Torture Cell.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » January 4th, 2006, 3:57 pm

Originally posted by John LeBlanc:
[QB] Interesting. That was a story from 2003, when the prop was valued at $1.5 million. At the auction it sold for $300,000.
It actually sold for $150,000.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » January 4th, 2006, 4:18 pm

Originally posted by Michael Edwards:
It actually sold for $150,000.
Now I'm confused. I was watching The History Channel's piece on Houdini, in which they featured lots of video from the Great Houdini Auction. The telephone bidder (who I understand turned out to be David Copperfield) won the auction with a $300,000 bid.

But a quick check shows that lot 379, the Water Torture Cell, did go for $150,000.

How is that?

UPDATE: Never mind. I used that swell feature here on Genii called "Search" and found your explanation from a year ago . I also see we are repeating here the same issue -- and answer -- that was raised a year ago.

John
http://www.escamoteurettes.comc/blog/

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2006, 7:07 pm

john,

NEVER TRUST THE MEDIA!

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2006, 7:19 pm

Most importantly, forgot to add that David Copperfield had the Water Torture again restored with the wood and hardware from the period. Had the chance to spend sometime seeing the new restoration and David pointed out something very eerie, in one of the interior walls a clear silhoutte of Houdini's profile could be clearly seen shaped by the outside light. Sometimes you wonder.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » January 4th, 2006, 7:36 pm

Originally posted by Mario Carrandi:
Most importantly, forgot to add that David Copperfield had the Water Torture again restored with the wood and hardware from the period. Had the chance to spend sometime seeing the new restoration and David pointed out something very eerie, in one of the interior walls a clear silhoutte of Houdini's profile could be clearly seen shaped by the outside light. Sometimes you wonder.
Well, I wouldn't kill to be admitted to lay hands on Copperfield's collection of magic, but I could be persuaded to maim someone pretty good to have a shot at spending a day or two among the pieces.

John
http://www.escamoteurettes.com/blog/

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » January 4th, 2006, 9:59 pm

Originally posted by Mario Carrandi:
Very interesting! Thank you, Mario. :)

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » January 5th, 2006, 3:48 am

A postscript to Mario's message. As you know, after the fire at the Houdini Museum virtually destroyed the apparatus, Sid Radner had a reconstructed Water Torture Cell fashioned from the little bits and pieces remaining from the original apparatus. That WTC was subsequently bought by David Copperfield (see the January 2005 issue of Genii for a full report on that auction and the history of the WTC). At that time, the chamber looked absolutely pristine...like a piece of beautiful new furniture. It doesn't look like that any more. David -- as Mario notes -- had the apparatus renovated once again...replacing elements of the WTC with hundred year-old wood and metal and giving the cell an aged and distressed look...It certainly makes a striking display.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 5th, 2006, 9:55 am

I cannot help but paraphrase the old joke:

I had to replace all of the wood, the steel, and the glass; but it occupies the same space!

Dustin

PS: John Gaughan was on Visiting with Huell Howser (a PBS show) last night. They toured his shop. His WTC was shown, but the name Houdini was not mentioned at all. It was described as an old illusion.

magicam

Postby magicam » January 5th, 2006, 10:09 am

Anent Dustins paraphrase, I tend to like what David did with the WTC. Since virtually nothing survives of the original piece of apparatus, why not make it look old for an interesting display. Of course, it would be interesting to know in the coming millennia if records are lost and somehow Davids WTC comes to be regarded as the only surviving (albeit aged) WTC! Clay

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » January 5th, 2006, 12:22 pm

Here's a (possible) wrinkle to the replica story. When I visited the Houdini Historical Center in Appleton in Sept 1998, they told me they had a replica USD up in the archives. I asked why it wasn't on display and they said they had broken the handles off when they were moving it and needed to get them fixed. I'm not sure if they ever did display it or if this was the Gaughan replica...but if Sid (who was in town at this same time) only discovered the Gaughan copy in '03, this certainly couldn't have been the same one.

I didn't push for details, so I don't know if what they had has a working replica or even a full size one. But there you go.

JFox

Postby JFox » January 5th, 2006, 1:10 pm

GatorGas:
" didn't Hardeen have a protege' (not Radner) who ended up with much of his show equipment? I seem to remember a young fellow working with Hardeen and even filling in for him at times during his run in "Hellzapoppin'".

>>>>>>That was Douglas Geoffrey.

My understanding is that he performed as Hardeen's "Successor" for only a few years during the 1940's. I had never heard of him performing the WTC.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » January 5th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Originally posted by zencat:
I didn't push for details, so I don't know if what they had has a working replica or even a full size one. But there you go.
It's not clear that the water torture cell David Copperfield has actually "works." The restored model that was sold at auction had not been filled with water. I do not know if David did so after he had it restored once again (which was actually the third time the cell had been rebuilt). In any case, the apparatus is certainly too small for David himself to ever use.

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » January 5th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Okay, here's something that I noticed just last night (I've been driving my poor girlfriend crazy with WTC talk, so I will instead drive my fellow Genii-ites crazy :p ).

Those four ringlets that extend out from the four corners near the top of the cell just below the stocks...clearly these are where the block and tackle attaches to hoist Houdini into the air. In photos, you can see Houdini hanging above the cell with ropes attached to these ringlets. There are no ringlets attached to the cell itself.

However, in examining the Radner cell, and, most critically, the burnt ruins in 1999, it's clear that the ringlets are built into this cell's superstructure.

So my question is, if this is a working cell, how can the ringlets be built into the cell when the purpose of these ringlets is to lift the stocks?

P.S. I always presumed that the ringlets and metal frame were attached to the stocks. But if they were, the stocks wouldn't be able to "scissor" open (if you look closely, the metal frame crosses over the bottom of the hinge). I concluded that the metal frame must be a stand-alone part. Houdini is scissored into the stocks, which are then placed inside this solid metal frame with ringlets. This serves to securely lift the stocks and Houdini up and over the cell. The stocks and metal frame are then dropped down over the lip of the cell and secured via the "flip-up" clasps. This is my theory, anyway.

Terry

Postby Terry » January 5th, 2006, 5:29 pm

The rings or handles near the bottom, I believe, were valves to release the water from the tank after the performance.

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » January 5th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Whoops! I see I said "base" of cell. Sorry. I corrected it.

I'm talking about the four ringlets in each corner near the TOP of the cell, base of the stocks.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 5th, 2006, 5:58 pm

It is John Gaughn's belief that the WTC he restored was never actually used by Houdini. He said there was no evidence that it had ever held any water, and it doesn't match photos of the cells which were used.
There has never been more than one real cell--the museum des not have one.

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » January 5th, 2006, 6:33 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
It is John Gaughn's belief that the WTC he restored was never actually used by Houdini. He said there was no evidence that it had ever held any water, and it doesn't match photos of the cells which were used.
There has never been more than one real cell--the museum des not have one.
Hmmm...I wonder if he's right. Those built-in ringlets trouble me. And while it's true the pics of Houdini in the cell make it look like a much larger cell (and the handles on the stocks seem further apart) there is a pic of him onstage in his full evening show with the WTC in the background and it looks a lot like the Radner cell--small, stock handles close together. Of course, in this pic, the cell is just sitting onstage with other props as a decorative background. Could that have been this cell's purpose? A purely decorative display cell? Or one that could be examined, and then the gaffed one would be switched out come time for the escape?

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » January 5th, 2006, 10:54 pm

If the restored WTC never had water in it and there was only "one" ever made, something does not jive here. Was the restored version a duplicate (for lobby display) of the model which was actually used? Did Houdini use dry water so as not to damage the WTC? In any event, I do like the idea of making one for use as a bookcase. I can do that. Now where in my cramped shop could I put it?

For those interested, these sites might be of interest:
http://www.andywhitecreative.com/Houdini.html
http://www.cjh.org/about/news/view_arch ... ?newsid=49
http://www.americaslibrary.gov/cgi-bin/ ... ni/magic_2
http://members.tripod.com/~Houdinez/hou17.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/houdini/fi ... ndi10.html
http://www.magicgallery.com/images/HouWTCuk.jpg
http://www.akahoudini.org/htdocs/videol ... =audio.mp3
http://www.robertfellows.com/magic.htm

Jim

magicam

Postby magicam » January 5th, 2006, 11:22 pm

Jim: By use of "real," I think Kaufman meant "used by Houdini." If the restored WTC recently purchased by Copperfield was never used by Houdini, then Richard's statement makes sense. It shows the extremely powerful pull of Houdini when someone will lay out big bucks for a bunch of burnt brass scrap which may or may not have been touched by Houdini. Clay

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 6th, 2006, 12:00 am

If memory serves, there have been several Cells made over the years. One for the Tony Curtis Houdini film (although I don't know if that was a set piece or if it actually worked), one for a Doug Henning TV special, and then there were at least one copiest of Houdini who had her own Water Torture Cell and was working it during his lifetime. What was her name? Miss Undina? Or something like that. I think her poster was in one of the books.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » January 6th, 2006, 3:01 am

Houdini himself had a number of cells built over his lifetime, and they went through some structural evolution as he improved the apparatus and his presentation of the escape. Keep in mind that he performed the escape almost continuously from 1912 until the end of his life. However, it is believed that he had any previous cells destroyed (to protect his secrets) as he had replacements built. Miss Undina indeed had a WTC and Houdini himself had a WTC cell made for Miss Trixy, the escape artist who Houdini sponsored to compete with her. It is believed that Houdini eventually took possession of both these cells, though their ultimate fate remains unknown. Hardeen also had a number of additional WTC parts (which must have come from other versions) and had hoped to build another WTC with them as a base, but was never able to do so. (Houdini's cell was far too small for Hardeen to ever use). And yes, other modern performers -- and cinema and stage productions --have built their versions of the apparatus over the years as well though all of these differed in many respects from the actual Houdini apparatus. Regardless, the Hardeen-Radner-Copperfield Water Torture Cell remains the only upside down that can be traced back to Houdini.

By the way, an extra Water Torture Cell isn't something that one has sitting around unnoticed. It took five trunks and three crates weighing over 1600 pounds to hold the WTC and accompanying equipment that Hardeen shipped to Sid Radner.

As for the cell's original condition, that has been a matter of some controversy for a while. It should be noted, however, that it is said that Houdini kept the cell in pristine condition (the trunks used for its storage and transporation were very impressive), it was stored without any use or anyone seeing it (outside a few magicians who visited Sid Radner's mother's basement in Holyoke, Massachusetts) for almost five decades (the ceiling in the room was too low for the lid to even be removed), and that the cell was restored and refinished once before (in 1991) prior to it being rebuilt again after the 1995 fire.

Once again, let me suggest that those interested in these matters take a look at the January 2005 Genii. I think you'll find that these matters are explored in some detail.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 6th, 2006, 7:43 am

I didn't make myself clear when I wrote this:

"There has never been more than one real cell--the museum des not have one."

What I meant was, there is only one real cell of Houdini's extant today. Assuming you can call the bits that were put back together after the fire a real cell of Houdini's. Copperfield paid only $150,000 for it. Prior to the fire its value had been estimated at one million dollars. There are no other Water Torture Cells of Houdini's anyplace.

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » January 6th, 2006, 8:10 am

Absolute fact.

However later this year we are putting out a Houdini Water Torture Cell limited edition collector's piece.

What was left from the original water torture cell after the fire, that could not be used in reconstruction of the original, will be mounted in a unique frame with a picture of Houdini performing with the water torture cell. There are actual pieces of glass, charred wood, etc. All authentic and will come with a Certificate of Authenticity.

John Lovick

Postby John Lovick » January 6th, 2006, 10:11 am

I have two questions. Did anyone tape the Huell Howser program with John Gaughan?

Jim Riser:
Did Houdini use dry water so as not to damage the WTC?
I can only imagine that's a joke, but in the context of your post, it does not read as a joke. What did you mean?

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » January 6th, 2006, 10:20 am

Originally posted by John Lovick:

Jim Riser:
I can only imagine that's a joke, but in the context of your post, it does not read as a joke. What did you mean?
"I bought some instant water one time but I didn't know what to add to it."
--Steven Wright

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 6th, 2006, 10:59 am

Richard: What was the WTC that we photographed at Gaughan's? Henning's? I remember the guy in it having a problem?

Then there was one a Canadian guy did at FISM and the glass broke flooding the theater?
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2006, 11:02 am

You can check with your vending machine friends to make sure, but I believe that soft water is preferred for any type of machinery as it doesn't leave any residue. Hard water, on the other hand, will corrode working parts in a machine that works with/by water and needs to be constantly cleaned.

Happy New Year to all,
Jack

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » January 6th, 2006, 11:32 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Richard: What was the WTC that we photographed at Gaughan's? Henning's? I remember the guy in it having a problem?
Hey, now there's something I would like to know. Where is the Henning cell? That special was one of the things that first got me into magic/Houdini, so that cell holds great meaning for me. I love to see it.

BTW, I've posted my little WTC pictorial history here:
http://homepage.mac.com/zencato/houdini ... bum53.html

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » January 6th, 2006, 11:52 am

Doug's was in the Museum of Magic and Illusion in Manitoba.

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2006, 12:00 pm

I believe this is the same Huell Howser program with Gaughan that was mentioned. It seems to still be available for sale.

http://www.calgold.com/visiting/Default ... 0&Show=590

Best,
Chuck Romano

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » January 6th, 2006, 12:12 pm

Originally posted by Michael Edwards:
Doug's was in the Museum of Magic and Illusion in Manitoba.
Thanks, Michael.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » January 6th, 2006, 12:38 pm

John Lovick
Member # 3340 posted January 06, 2006 10:11 AM

Jim Riser:

quote:
-------------------------------------------------I can only imagine that's a joke, but in the context of your post, it does not read as a joke. What did you mean?

John;
Yes, it was a joke in a weak attempt to "explain" how, if the surviving WTC showed no evidence of water damage, it could have been actually used by Houdini. Dry water is dehydrated water - the kind we have here in Tucson :cool:

zencat;
Thanks for posting all of the Houdini info - very nice :D

Jim

GAMOLO

Postby GAMOLO » January 6th, 2006, 5:41 pm

Although very litigious, Houdini couldn't sue everyone. Other performers, especially in Europe, started employing WTCs during Houdini's lifetime and, of course, after Houdini died. Perhaps some of the ones from ca.1920's survived.

If you look at the classic STEEN "Plays with Death"(The Man who laughs at Death)
2 sheeter litho ca. 1922 you can see the performer
being lowered into a WTC.

I can email a photo of same to anyone who wants it.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”