fox cups

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Bill Mullins

fox cups

Postby Bill Mullins » March 5th, 2003, 2:55 pm

How long before Busby gets these pulled???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tegory=427

Pete Biro

Re: fox cups

Postby Pete Biro » March 5th, 2003, 3:38 pm

Maybe he has given up... our our letters to ebay made a change???

Anyway, if he stops it, the seller and current buyer can close the deal privately for sure, like I did with the Paul Fox rising cards I sold.
Stay tooned.

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » March 6th, 2003, 8:19 am

Is there something on those cups that makes them Paul Fox Cups? I know the Johnson Cups have a "JP" inside the cups. I gave up on Paul Fox cups years ago but found extremely well made copies that James Riser had nice things to say about. They're called JES Cups if anyone else is interested in a very nice set that don't cost over $500.
Here's the URL.

http://www.jesmagic.com/

Erik Hemming

Postby Erik Hemming » March 6th, 2003, 9:14 am

I was participating in an auction in late Feb. for a set of copper cups that were cancelled by the VERO program. (I am coming to think of this as a synonym for "He Who Shall Remain Nameless".) The cups were described, not as Fox cups, but as similar in design. (Descriptive of a huge chunk of cups currently on the market.) The auction was cancelled near the end, and I can't get eBay to respond with the particulars of why the auction was cancelled or who made the request. :confused:

I'm watching to see what happens with this set. "Flinner" has the high bid at the moment.

Hmmmm.....

"He Who Shall Remain Nameless" VS. "Flinner"

I feel a Google Fight coming on.....

:D

Gordo

Postby Guest » March 6th, 2003, 11:48 am

I gave up on Paul Fox cups years ago but found extremely well made copies that James Riser had nice things to say about. They're called JES Cups if anyone else is interested in a very nice set that don't cost over $500.
I purchased a set of these also and they are virtually identical to the Paul Fox cups, i.e., the real ones spun by Danny Dew, not the overpriced junk out of Idaho. A collector friend compared my JES cups to his originals and remarked that he was glad his set was unpolished or he would have had a hard time telling them apart!

Postby Guest » March 6th, 2003, 8:58 pm

What's the deal on these used Paul Fox cups? From what I'm reading online here, it is suggestive that someone is trying to prevent the resale of an item legitimately owned by another (as opposed to selling a forgery)? Huh?

Turk

P.S. What is the status of a set of Paul Fox cups bequeathed to another via a person's will? I've never heard of something so ridiculous!!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 6th, 2003, 9:26 pm

If you read Busby's explanations on his "About Me" webpage, they almost make sense (assuming that he does, in fact, own "Paul Fox" as a trademark, which others have disputed here on the Genii Forum and other places). To maintain a trademark you have to vigilantly defend your ownership of it -- in other words, you can lose your rights to it if you allow others to use it.

JB maintains he owns the rights to the phrase/words "Paul Fox" in association with anything magic, so you as a seller aren't allowed to use those words in any commercial endeavor (such as an eBay auction) without his blessing (or at least without mentioning that that phrase is a JB trademark.

I'm not saying I agree with his interpretation of the trademark law, or that he even owns the rights to "Paul Fox" as a trademark. It's just that after I read his explanations, his actions made (a little) more sense.

But I still think that if someone sued him for restraint of trade, they'd have a good case.

Bill Mullins

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » March 6th, 2003, 11:30 pm

Hi Bill;
Before claiming ownership of something, it is customary to pay for it - in full!
Jim

David Mitchell

Postby David Mitchell » March 7th, 2003, 4:37 am

What is his URL? I can't find it anywhere.

David.
David Mitchell

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 7th, 2003, 10:34 am

Bill Mullins:

I'm no expert, but if I put my used Toyota Camry up for sale, I advertise it with the words Toyota and Camry, both of which are owned by Toyota Motor Corporation. Toyota does not need to prevent me from doing this to defend their ownership of these terms.

There have been hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people using the word Toyota for commercial purposes in this manner, none of whom have mentioned anything about it being a trademark of Toyota.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 7th, 2003, 4:49 pm

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm not defending Busby or his position. I think he is misguided, and from what I read, mistaken about his ownership of "Paul Fox" as a trademark. Just trying to interpret his (and I use the word loosely) logic.

Bill

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » March 8th, 2003, 6:22 am

The auction for the cups ended 2 days early but it says there was a winner. It seems most of the bidding on an item hapens in the last 60 minutes. Do you think he was pressured to close the auction early?

Matt R

Postby Matt R » March 8th, 2003, 5:24 pm

With respect to trademarks, no one can use Toyota (as the example previously given) to promote another automobile that is made by
someone other than the trademark holder.

The other trademark problems
come about when trademarks are used like household words like Band-aid. This is why you hear the Band-Aid folks often refer to the product as a Band-Aid Brand Bandage.

The problem seems to be that eBay just errs on
the side of closing controversial auctions
probably so they don't get sued. It's not worth it
for eBay to collect a $10 commission at risk of
a big lawsuit.

If you look at the eBay Prohibited and Restricted Items you will see "Paul Fox" magic
item are specifically excluded :) (ok, just kidding)

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » March 8th, 2003, 6:25 pm

Originally posted by Chris Bailey:
The auction for the cups ended 2 days early but it says there was a winner. It seems most of the bidding on an item hapens in the last 60 minutes. Do you think he was pressured to close the auction early?
Nope! JB trashed it.

Pity.....

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » March 9th, 2003, 5:32 pm

That's what I figured. I looked up the item and it says it's no longer in the database. What a sad, worthless little man. His life truly must be pathetic for him to spend so much energy in this way.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 12th, 2003, 10:41 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2164773988

Ok, so I thought I'd egg him on a little. Hope you guys enjoy.

Matt R

Postby Matt R » March 12th, 2003, 2:15 pm

The bidding was up to $2.50 at last check, what's the shipping and handling run? ;)

David O

Postby David O » March 12th, 2003, 3:12 pm

BRAVO!!
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree.

Albert Einstein

Rennie

Postby Rennie » March 12th, 2003, 3:54 pm

Brad,
Go get him, I love it. Is there anyone out there who actually purchases any type of magic product from J.B. ???? Just curious.......if not how does he survive ?
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 12th, 2003, 6:13 pm

Ebay ended the auction as I was selling only the rights to the fable. Item changed to accomodate their rules.

new listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2164847322

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » March 12th, 2003, 6:17 pm

Brad:

You are the *MAN*! I think you're on to something here, and I wonder what different tactics the Bee will try to get that pulled. It deserves to be auctioned off regularly on eBay!

JMT

Postby Guest » March 12th, 2003, 6:22 pm

A certain very well known magician advertises a set of cups on his website and compares them to the Paul Fox cups. Does Busby not know about this, or does he only care about Ebay auctions?

David L.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 13th, 2003, 11:57 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2165096217

I don't take rejection well.

Enjoy and keep on fighting.

BRING DOWN THE BEE!!!!

Kurt Lee Flickner

Postby Kurt Lee Flickner » March 14th, 2003, 6:23 am

David L. posted March 12, 2003 06:22 PM
-------------------------
A certain very well known magician advertises a set of cups on his website and compares them to the Paul Fox cups. Does Busby not know about this, or does he only care about Ebay auctions?

David L.
Of course he CARES, He cannot do anything about it, because he has no power, no real power, because he doesn't have the "rights" he claims to have.
He has yelled "I will sue you" to hundreds of people, but has never been able to. Because he has the right to Yell & Cry,,, and those are the only real powers he has.
Unfortunatly Ebay is the only one on this planet that has not figured out that he has No Real Powers beyond Yelling and Crying!

Kurt Flickner
www.MagicEstateSale.com
Kurt Lee Flickner
www.MagicEstateSale.com

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 19th, 2003, 10:24 am

Just checked ebay, no Paul Fox items YET... but a mint set of hallmarked P&L cups just went up.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2003, 11:52 am

There is now......no cups though. I sold a set a couple of years ago and had one hell of a time doing it too. Just thought I have a little fun.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2166069271

John

Gary

Postby Gary » March 19th, 2003, 9:28 pm

Paul Fox's Miracle Gimmick
Item # 2166069271

Postby Guest » March 20th, 2003, 11:28 am

It's not bad enough that one has to deal with Jeff Busby when trying to sell items on eBay, now I have to deal with e-mails from "buyers" as well....

Dear Fellow Magician:

I highly recommend that you close this auction before Jeff Busby
reports you to ebay for copyright infringement. I have listed this item
twice and he did it to me.

Believe me, it is not worth the hassle.

Bill Litzler
Maybe he's really trying to look out for me!!!????

John

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 20th, 2003, 11:35 am

I think that letter should be forwarded to eBay's attorney immediately. Sounds like Busby trying to get at sellers by another routine since his VERO priviliges have apparently been revoked.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » March 21st, 2003, 6:45 am

Man...that is SOOOO transparent!

Rick Schulz

Postby Rick Schulz » March 21st, 2003, 11:14 am

And another item on E-Bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=14014

Now that Buzzbee's fangs have been pulled, perhaps this sale will go though without his interference. :D

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 2nd, 2003, 12:02 pm

Search "Paul Fox" and you will see two items on ebay right now. Plated cups and Miracle Gimmick. :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2003, 12:26 am

Is there anything on the internet regarding the buz about the ebay lawsuits?

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”