Dumb As Can Be With Br-ass Apparatus....

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
magicam

Dumb As Can Be With Br-ass Apparatus....

Postby magicam » December 21st, 2005, 6:44 pm

Perhaps I committed a cardinal sin of collecting: I paid a bunch of money for something I have no clue about. After you folks in the know are done snickering, could someone please tell me what this stuff is? Any ideas about manufacturers? Really, I know very little about this stuff. I just liked it because it was shiny! Many thanks in advance. Clay

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/pubweb/publicSite.r?sContinent=EUR&screen=lotdetailsNoFlash&iSaleItemNo=2618027&iSaleNo=13362&sServer=http://images1.bonhams.com/&sPath=200 5-08/26/94239190-238-1.jpg

Re: Dumb As Can Be With Br-ass Apparatus....

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2005, 6:59 pm

Looks like a clear PVC or plastic display shelving unit in an unusual stair-like configuration.
No clue as to who the manufacturer could be.
And yes, you did pay a lot of money for it.

magicam

Postby magicam » December 21st, 2005, 7:08 pm

:D

:help:

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2005, 9:38 pm

Clay, it looks like you got some great stuff! Ask Richard if he has a copy of "The Brema Brasses" around, it will tell you what some of that is.

I can see several bill tubes, a Ball and Tube that locks, with a REVERSE THREAD (By the way, Charlie Kalish knocked this off and did a great job - his sold for 75.00 back in the seventies!), what looks like a Plug Box, a brass Ball and Vase, but I'm not sure about the ball, this could be a Morrison-type, called a "Pillbox".

I see what appears to be an Okito Box, but can't say without seeing the bottom, also a "Coin Bank", where the side slides UP, to reveal a slot for the coins to enter/exit. There are two Ball and Tubes from what I can see, one locking, the other not, and there are two Bill Tubes, one with the screw type locking pin and the other with the lock. The lock came later. If this is all English, or at least European, then the routine put out in Germany and called "Druvos" may have come with the screw-type bill tube. I could tell you lots more if I had more info to go on...

Best, PSC

magicam

Postby magicam » December 22nd, 2005, 8:13 pm

Paul, many thanks for the great help. My ignorance of apparatus is without end. But now I have to learn. So I really appreciate your help. I will consult Buffum's book, although I tend to agree with you that, without having these items in hand, seeing any hallmarks, etc., it's going to be tough to do precise identification. But it's a start.

Anyone else? Or maybe Paul has covered matters about as good as can be given the little information provided in the picture.

Clay

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » December 23rd, 2005, 6:21 am

Clay,
Not much to add here, but I do recommend that you read this little article: Article

:)

-Jim :rolleyes:

magicam

Postby magicam » December 23rd, 2005, 10:29 am

Thanks for the tip, Jim. Not a bad article! Looks like I'm following the writer's first bit of advice and asking fellow collectors for help and advice. I'm glad Genii Forum and Magicol allows such articles to be posted here.
Clay

Eric Wolf

Postby Eric Wolf » January 2nd, 2006, 4:45 am

Here's my take from left to right:

Top Row: Plug box / bill tube / 1 part of 3 pieces of wandering lipstick? / possible double bill tube? (hard to tell without holding item and looking inside)

Second Row: Devil's coin bank / plug box / plug box / plug box

Third Row: Devils coin bank / bill tube / ball vase

Bottom Row: Okito Box / possible ball and tube or pea can? (Hard to tell without holding item)

Nice collection.... If you have any more questions don't hesitate to mail me directly

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2006, 9:51 am

Clay,

The "wondering lipstick: is missing the other 2, I have them (I acquired the other 2 brass lots)

The brass ball and vase is not old, made right here in the usa some 3/4 years ago.

The other brass by no means are Brema, they were made or made for and marketed by L Davenport in the 1940's and 1950's.

I don't consider these pieces "RARE". ;)

magicam

Postby magicam » January 9th, 2006, 7:04 pm

Thanks, Mario. Sounds like they mixed up the apparatus? Not suprising if the case. Clay

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » January 10th, 2006, 12:29 am

Originally posted by Mario Carrandi:

The brass ball and vase is not old, made right here in the usa some 3/4 years ago.
[/QB]
Is that correct? Who is the maker? I have not seen one like it before and I am always on the lookout for interesting ball vases.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”