Theatrical Close-Up, by Peter Samelson for sale

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Kurt Ruckman

Theatrical Close-Up, by Peter Samelson for sale

Postby Kurt Ruckman » February 5th, 2005, 8:51 am

For sale:
Theatrical Close-up, by Peter Samelson

This is out-of-print and very hard to find.
Condition is outstanding.
$80 includes shipping, PayPal strongly preferred.

Kurt Ruckman

Re: Theatrical Close-Up, by Peter Samelson for sale

Postby Kurt Ruckman » February 7th, 2005, 9:08 pm

Price reduced to $60 including Priority shipping (in US)

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » February 8th, 2005, 6:28 am

Excellent book -- one of my favorites. You may have a bit of a hard time selling it at that price, though. It tends to go for less on eBay.

-Jim

sleightly

Postby sleightly » February 8th, 2005, 1:16 pm

It's funny... because for a long time it was almost impossible to get a copy and the average eBay sale was around $125 to $150...

I paid $60 to get my first copy and it was horribly water damaged... I have since purchased two more copies (one for the library and one for investment purposes) for around $45-50 each.

Considering this was a limited run initially (500-1000 copies tops?) and that there appear to be no plans for reprinting, I wonder why the slack in interest?

Great stuff contained therein...

ajp

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » February 8th, 2005, 1:39 pm

Kurt,

E-mailed you.

Kurt Ruckman

Postby Kurt Ruckman » February 8th, 2005, 3:40 pm

Theatrical Close-up is SOLD.

Ebay prices are of course dependent upon desireability, supply, and demand. I think this is an excellent book (highly praised by Jamy Ian Swiss, among others). You never know about what's going to be available on eBay at any given day or week, but this book is certainly scarce and not likely to be reprinted, so I feel entirely justified in offering it at my original price of $80,even though I ended up selling it for a lesser price. The buyer got a bargain, in my opinion.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » February 8th, 2005, 5:30 pm

I agree with Kurt on this item. Great book, long out of print, hard to find. I consider the pricing very reasonable under those circumstances. Of course, I'd like to see the book reprinted, and I'm guessing new copies would then sell for $25 or less (I think they were just $15 when still available from publisher Mike Caveney). This was supposed to be part of a series, with THEATRICAL CABARET to follow. Wonder what happened to that project?

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2005, 8:40 am

Kurt,

I'm glad your copy sold. We just put a very nice copy on ebay, so we'll what it goes for.

We also have an autographed copy of Al Baker's MAGICAL WAYS AND MEANS and we will be putting up three Tamariz books.

Check all of our current offerings at: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbradburybooksQQhtZ-1

Dan

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » February 9th, 2005, 9:04 am

I just wanted to clarify my original post -- I think the book is a good value, even at the $80 price. I was just stating that the book has recently been selling in the $40-50 range, so it may be difficult to sell for more than that. I assume Richard Hart is the one who bought it, in which case I'm sure he will enjoy it very much.

-Jim

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » February 9th, 2005, 3:48 pm

I think it's nice that everyone (well almost everyone) is so civilized on this forum. Of course Mr. Kaufman may have something to do with that. The pen is not mightier than Richard's sword. ;)

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2005, 8:41 pm

I think Theatrical Close-Up by Peter Samelson is a great book that contains great material. I got my copy on ebay about 2 yrs. ago in mint condition for under $30. I recently had the privelege of seeing Mr. Samelson perform live at Monday Night Magic here in NYC.

His performance was breath taking and his finale, his version of Snowstorm in China, was a thing of sheer beauty. I got to speak with him afterwards and he is one helluva nice guy. By the way, I brought my copy of his book with me that evening and he personally inscribed it. I'll cherish it for a long time to come.

Roberto

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”