Wanted: Vernon Chronicles

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Wanted: Vernon Chronicles

Postby Guest » April 30th, 2002, 12:45 pm

I'm looking for a full set of
the Vernon Chronicles. At the
very least, I'll need Volume 1
through Volume 3. Please e-mail
me at syouell@realanswers.org

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Wanted: Vernon Chronicles

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 30th, 2002, 3:52 pm

I believe Earle Oakes has a set for sale, all signed by Vernon. EOakesArtist@webtv.net
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2002, 9:53 am

Thank you, Richard, but I'd be afraid to even
READ those-- too valuable.

I'm just looking to read them...

Steven Youell

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 1st, 2002, 12:52 pm

C'mon over Cardguy... you can read mine. I have a huge collection of card books and I may just sell them, as I have 10 tricks down pat now and who needs more?
:p
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2002, 3:13 pm

I have volume 1. First addition. Make me an offer.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2002, 5:18 pm

Volume 2 is easy to find; the others are hard to find for they are not in print. Word has it that they will again be in print but I do not know when. Does anyone have any info about the future reissue for the other volumes?

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » May 2nd, 2002, 7:30 am

Hi Steven, I"m sure I saw copies of the Vernon Chronicles books sitting on the spin rack at Barry's Magic shop here in Wheaton. I forgot which one--or ones that I saw, but I'm sure that Barry Taylor would mail it/them out to you. His number is (301) 933-0373. You might also want to try H&R Magic books in Humble, Texas. Mr. Hatch is a great guy, well informed, and his prices are reasonable. His web address is: magicbookshop.com Good Luck. :)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 2nd, 2002, 7:44 am

How many volumes of the Vernon Chronicles are there?
Stay tooned.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 2nd, 2002, 8:12 am

The first three volumes, by Stephen Minch, contain tricks. The fourth, in the same format, is biography only. When they began the project, they promised enough material for six volumes of tricks. That appears to have been an overestimate. I've asked Stephen about future volumes, but am still not sure if their non-appearance is because of his own publishing schedule or just because of a lack of additional material that measures up to the first three. Note to Youell: I loved the first three and they are worth seeking out.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » May 2nd, 2002, 10:10 am

Absolutely Steve, I think that all four books are worth seeking out. The fourth contains Vernon's biography up to the mid sixties taken from the Professor's own words. A must. Purchasers of magic usually put on the blinders and buy only "trick" material. I recently tried to purchase several Vernon Revelations videos from Barry's Magic and found him sold out except for the last two tapes which only feature the Professor's stories about his life, etc. Whoever bought the entire set rejected the last two videos because there are no effects taught in them. I subsequently purchased volume 15/16 and believe it to be absolutely worth the price. Just watching the Professor cut that silhouette of Steve Freeman was worth the price of admission.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 2nd, 2002, 10:48 am

The fourth volume of the Vernon Chronicles, a so-called biography, is full of grotesque errors. History will be set right when David Ben publishes his Vernon biography in the future.
Most of Vernon's material is not in print. A lot of stuff. There is plenty for more books. Bruce Cervon purposely withheld all of the material that could possibly relate to gambling, gambling sleights, etc., from the first three volumes in order to publish them separately at a later date. For a while there were lingering legal issues that made it questionable whether L&L would be able to publish more new Vernon books. I am not sure if these have been resolved.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 3rd, 2002, 1:46 pm

Re yesterday's Vernon Chronicle discussions, I emailed Louis Falanga and asked him what's up. He replied that more will be published. He says that Minch is working on another volume, and that Bruce (Cervon) wants this product to be the best.

David Prouty

Postby David Prouty » May 3rd, 2002, 2:20 pm

For any EG members on the GENII forum, you can use the EG Mailbot to query for the wonderful Zambolini "Vernonobilia" posts, which I belive "Mr. Zambolini" plans to publish ( :confused: ), these are wonderful, personal, first hand snapshots of Dai Vernon that surpass Vernon Chronicles #4 !

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » May 6th, 2002, 8:00 am

If the fourth volume is chock full of errors as you say Richard--that ain't good. I'll still keep my copy if only for the nice photos of Vernon. I too am waiting for David Ben's book. By the way, that was Mr. Ben who played the role of the customer at the Flosso Magic Shop in the Vernon Spirit of Magic video biography. Mr. Flosso was demonstrating (I believe) Leipzig's version of the Princess Card Trick.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”