Looking for anything by Michael Weber

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Looking for anything by Michael Weber

Postby Guest » November 11th, 2003, 10:14 am

I am a huge Michael Weber fan.
I think his thinking in magic is brilliant.

I am looking for lecture notes or video.

Please contact me privately at: funnyrichard@yahoo.com

Thanks
Rich

Re: Looking for anything by Michael Weber

Postby Guest » November 11th, 2003, 8:53 pm

I'd like to hear a public discussion of this one.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 11th, 2003, 10:45 pm

I too am a huge fan of Michael Weber. (Theres a joke there, but I need to watch my use of defense mechanisms.)

Besides his great book, Life Savers (Kaufman and Greenberg, 1991), his lecture notes from 1984, Side Effects, there are a couple of videos: Volume 22 of the Stevens Greater Magic Video Library and Celebration of Sides with Robert Neale.

Other than a few marketed effects like Key and Cap in Bottle, I am unaware of any other items that are exclusively Weber (he has some items included in compilation videos and has contributed to several books and marketed effects).

Life Savers will be a Book of the Month selection soon, so I will not get into that now.

The lecture notes have several very good items; most notably the $1,000 Ring on Stick and his Linking Rubber Bands which, after a visual link, leaves the spectator with the permanently linked bands. One of the hallmarks of these notes was the fact that Michael took the trouble of making a set of gaffs (for those effects that used them) for each set of notes. I would imagine that these notes are hard to come by these days, being that they are near twenty years old (which doesnt even seem possible). My copy is not for sale (circumstances be damned).

If there are other publications, Id sure like to hear about them!

Dustin

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » November 11th, 2003, 11:03 pm

Don't forget his Corrector's Workshop notes.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 11th, 2003, 11:14 pm

Don't have 'em - but gotta get 'em now!

Input....more input....

Postby Guest » November 12th, 2003, 12:04 am

Know this isnt everything, but have known him since he was a jr castle member, so I have a bunch of his stuff.

In somewhat chronological order:

Pengrove Connection (Lecture notes on red paper. Spectator cuts to the aces with aces they signed. Just three cuts by spectator off deck on table, no adjustments!)

Side Effects (Mentioned earlier in thread.)

Private Party notes (No tricks, but some fresh ideas on booking private events.)

Seeds (Strange compilation notes for a Santa Barbara lecture.)

One-Two Punch (a commercial version of his moving hole ticket trick)

Open and Shut Case (Strange leather case. Interesting story about this in Omni magazine someone tried to sue him!)

Stamp out card tricks (Selected card is revealed with a strange rubber stamp)

Copyright Notes (Cover is filled with copyright restrictions)

Four dollars in change (commercial trick- signed borrowed $5 is folded into ring and placed on spectators finger, magician changes his $1 into the signed five, the ring is now made of the $1)

Five sets of French Lecture notes

Three sets of German Lecture notes

Six sets of Japanese Lecture notes

A flash gimmick with no electronics (sold it through Stan Allens Inside Magic newsletter)

A special bounce-no bounce set. (Sold as above)

Double edged knife case (Prop and book from Paradise amusement)

Wafer Thin wallet (Prop and book from Paradise amusements)

Webers Key (Sold by Johnson Products)

LifeSavers (Mentioned earlier)

LifeSavers Lecture Notes

Invocational Lecture notes

Correctors Workshop Notes (These are the best. He came up with simple versions of all the Collectors Workshop tricks. Gave the lecture at Richard Blochs convention and said that the notes were $20, but that it was a $35 thousand dollar savings compared to the original Collectors versions.

Japanese FISM notes

Impossible Objects notes (this contains an effect where you put a big ice cube into a regular coke bottle and give it away.)

Tape with Joe Stevens

Impromptu tape (Stevens)

Japanese Lecture tape

British Lecture tape

IBIDEM board (with Steve Keeler. I think Kevin James sells these)

Two-faced toss out (Gaffed version of the Hoy trick)

End of the World (version of Out of This World)

A New World (New Version of Out of This World with Dean Dill)

Im sure theres more, but I keep all this stuff in one box, and this is what I know about.

Just remembered-

He also was part of the team that put together a set of all the props from The Discovery of Witchcraft. Limited number of sets. Don't know how many or how much, but I do remember some ads a few years ago. I think Richard Kaufman bought one.

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » November 12th, 2003, 1:10 am

He also makes an appearance on the Secret Sessions videotape.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » November 13th, 2003, 5:28 am

There's a set of lecture notes called something like "Lecture Collection", which is in the same format as the "Life Savers Lecture Notes" mentioned above but with a yellow cover. I also have a small booklet (more like several folded sheets really) explaining the linking rubber bands in illustrations only, by James Hodges, with credit to Michael Weber and Chris Kenner.

I don't know how much of the material from all these lecture notes made it into the "Life Savers" book, but it seems like there's enough for a "Complete Lecture Notes of Michael Weber" book, along the lines of the Dingle book or the bound editions of all the old magazines.

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2003, 5:53 am

I seem to remember him doing a couple of effects that were aired on HBO many years ago. One was a cannibal effect using a dollar bill he folded up that ate everything. Another was an effect with a rubiks cube.

Kevin Williams

Postby Kevin Williams » November 13th, 2003, 7:55 am

Michael Weber has 2 effects in the NY Magic Symposium Collection Two and 1 in Collection Three. Also, in the Collected Almanac, he has 4 tricks: a marked coin in bottle,a rubber band effect, one with dice, and one using a Swatch watch.

Interesting question and answers. Thanks.

Kevin

Randy DiMarco

Postby Randy DiMarco » November 13th, 2003, 8:44 am

Does the Impossible Objects notes mentioned above contain the effect where he put the spoon in the Pepto Bismol bottle?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 13th, 2003, 9:10 am

If anyone finds the Spoon in Pepto bottle... contact me immediately... REWARD! :D
Stay tooned.

Raj Madhok

Postby Raj Madhok » November 13th, 2003, 9:17 pm

There's also the Son of Thinkerprint gaffed cards that Michael produced. It's explaned in the Dan Garrett issue of MUM and some of his notes. I can't put my finger on it right now...

Raj

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2003, 9:55 pm

A friend from Portugal gave me some Louis DeMato Show tapes and Michael Webber was the guest, He did a trick with a can of playdough that involved a ball of playdough becoming a little man.I haven't watched it for some time but if anybody is interested i'll look it up.I don't know if it is his trick....he does two or three.....Mike

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2003, 10:17 pm

I knew about the fingerprint trick in the Garrett notes, but didn't know he sold it.

Just found "match game" a really weird effect where matches change direction in a spectator's hands, then when they open their hands the matches are a different color from when you started.

Also, "balancing the books" a cool set of gimmicked matchbooks that let you perform an "impromptu-looking" impossible suspension.

I know he invented the play-dough thing- saw him do it at one of the Stevens' contests.

I think he had a t-shirt that did a trick in several different languages. I'll look for the instructions.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » November 14th, 2003, 11:30 am

Michael's "Thinkerprint" effect is in Dan Garrett's Closeup Connivery #2, which is a fantastic collection of magic.

Michael also contributed an idea to the recent Reality Twister book, although by the time Paul and I were done messing with it only a part of Michael's idea remained.

Postby Guest » April 7th, 2006, 8:04 pm

Hello--following are a couple further places where Mr. Weber has published material that have not yet been mentioned above:
--Mike Ammar's "Toppit Book" includes several excellent effects; he published his handling for the $1 and $5 bill transposition in Earl Nelson's (unfortunately) short-lived "West Coast Quarterly"; there are a few others I can't remember off the top of my head, but I will post a.s.a.p.

Postby Guest » April 7th, 2006, 11:16 pm

He also has the chewing gum that switches places effect.

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2006, 3:37 pm

His "Guttapercha Connection" appeared in Magicana April, 1983;
In the Games column of Omni magazine (ca. 1982) he revealed the secret of the bommerang band under the title "The Trick That Never Was" which recounts a practical joke Frank Garcia, Mike Skinner, and Slydini played on Dai Vernon in 1971;
In the August 1985 issue of M-U-M Magazine a card trick of Mr. Weber's dubbed "Right Under Your Thumb" appears in the column "At The Table With Jon Racherbaumer";
He had an item in Daryl's Ambitious Card Book;
Two brief handlings of a gaffed matchbook appear in issue #2 of The Penumbra;

Grippo's Wish

Postby Grippo's Wish » July 24th, 2016, 1:31 am

There's a Linking Ring issue with a Stewart James parade, and there's the Piano trick done with socks (!) by him.

Mr. Charming

Postby Mr. Charming » July 24th, 2016, 2:16 am

Why don't ypu check the Danis Behr archive? There are 154 entries. I'm sure you can have some fun with it.

http://archive.denisbehr.de/show.php?people=270

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » July 24th, 2016, 7:51 am

Don't forget three major releases: Real Secrets, the Journal of Psience, and The Works.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”