Skinner in Europe 1974

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Skinner in Europe 1974

Postby Leonard Hevia » June 15th, 2017, 2:14 pm

The first issue of Pabular, September 1974, mentioned Michael Skinner in its Focus column:

Mike Skinner, winner of the Magic Castle Close-Up Performer of the Year award visited out shores recently breaking his journey en route for the Monte Carlo Convention. He lectured to some of us at Ken Brookes Magic Place and gave us two hours of practical magic, superbly performed. We don't have enough space to list all the effects--even if we could remember them--but one plum stands out: Edward Victor's Eleven Card Trick. We had not seen it performed before. If you entertain laymen with cards this one is a winner. Among the card sleights a flourish-type false count aroused considerable interest. To sum up: a good evening by a very talented performer.

Does anyone have photos they could share or know anything more about Skinner's 1974 European venture? Maybe it was mentioned in a 1974 issue of Genii?

Randy Sager

Re: Skinner in Europe 1974

Postby Randy Sager » September 15th, 2017, 5:56 pm

I think that the closest you will get to information on the lecture is from the pdf that is included with The Skinner Talks Set that Richard Kaufman released a few years back. As for pictures from the lecture etc.. I don't remember ever seeing any. That doesn't mean that there weren't any taken of course

Speaking of Michael going to the convention in Monte Carlo, and Victor's 11 Card Trick. I believe that it was that very convention that Michael had show and taught Fred Kaps that very effect. Seems that most that started doing the effect back then had learned it from Michael.

performer

Postby performer » September 16th, 2017, 4:39 am

Randy Sager wrote:I think that the closest you will get to information on the lecture is from the pdf that is included with The Skinner Talks Set that Richard Kaufman released a few years back. As for pictures from the lecture etc.. I don't remember ever seeing any. That doesn't mean that there weren't any taken of course

Speaking of Michael going to the convention in Monte Carlo, and Victor's 11 Card Trick. I believe that it was that very convention that Michael had show and taught Fred Kaps that very effect. Seems that most that started doing the effect back then had learned it from Michael.

Not me. I learned this trick about a thousand years ago or so from Willane's Methods for Miracles a series of small pamphlets that were published decades ago. I had just started magic and couldn't do most of the material which was just too hard for me. However, I managed to do the eleven card trick very badly and have occasionally done it since. Willane's material was eventually put all in one book and published by Davenports. Rae Hammond was the one who compiled at put the material together. He also wrote an entire book about Edward Victor and the trick is described therein.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » September 16th, 2017, 8:12 am

Method for Miracle no 6 - Edward Victor's Eleven Card Trick was published in 1952 by Willane (William H. Lane)
Rae Hammond's book The Magic of Edward Victor's Hands was published in 1995.

But in 1947, in Marlo in Spades, Marlo described a routine entitled Super Count routine which basically was the same as Edward Victor and write : " this routine is partly due to Al Keene of New York."

According to Hugard's Magic Montly, Al Keene was in Europa in the army in 1946. Perhaps, Keene meet Victor ans see his routine?

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » September 16th, 2017, 11:32 am

A few weeks back I spent a pleasant afternoon with Trevor Lewis. Trevor recalled meeting Fred Kaps in 1975 and (nervously) telling Kaps that he didn't like Kaps' ending for the eleven bill trick (based on the 11 Card Trick). Upon discussion, Kaps agreed with Trevor and between them worked on a new ending.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » September 23rd, 2017, 9:43 am

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post on Skinner!

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”