Calling All London Collectors! Research Help Requested!

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
magicam

Calling All London Collectors! Research Help Requested!

Postby magicam » February 16th, 2017, 11:26 pm

Hi All,

A few of you know that Dr. Edwin A. Dawes and I have been working on a bio-bibliography of Henry Dean and his book, The Whole Art of Legerdemain, or Hocus Pocus in Perfection, the first edition of which was published in London in 1722. Over the next 150 years, nearly 40 editions of his book were published, plus uncounted pirated editions and breviates which omitted his name. Dr. Dawes has completed his work (in timely fashion as always!), but I still need to finish certain bibliographical work for our book. To that end, I will be in London from February 25 through March 3 (or 4), doing research at the British Library and University of London, among other places.

I will also be at The Magic Circle’s HQ on Monday afternoon and evening, Feb 27, to inspect and collate its editions of Hocus Pocus, and thus pose a request to Genii Forum readers who may also be members of the Circle. If you plan on attending the Monday Nighter on Feb 27 and own an edition (or 2 or 3!) of Dean’s book, would you be so kind as to bring your copies with you to the Circle? I will be working in the library with Peter Lane.

And long-shot though it may be, if any of you manage a hotel in London and can help with a decent room rate, please let me know! I’d even be amenable to renting a room in a flat for a few days, as the majority of my time will be in the libraries. I'm easy, and don't need luxury!

You can write to me at: chshevlin
[“at” symbol]
sbcglobal
[dot]
net

With my sincere thanks for reading this!

Clay Shevlin

magicam

Re: Calling All London Collectors! Research Help Requested!

Postby magicam » February 19th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Update: lodging secured!

Now to the Dean editions!

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”