RIP The L.A. Conference on Magic History?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
magicam

RIP The L.A. Conference on Magic History?

Postby magicam » December 12th, 2016, 2:55 am

It’s a bit surprising that the possible demise of the LACOMH hasn’t been mentioned and mourned here. I profess no inside knowledge on this matter, but wish to express my own laments if the rumor is true, for there seems little doubt about the consensus that the bi-annual Conferences were by far the finest of worldwide magic history (and collecting) events on the calendar.

Without doubt, the organizers faced a huge and very taxing challenge in coming up with high-quality programs every two years. Perhaps the wear and tear and immense time sink inherent in doing 14 Conferences since 1989 finally took their toll.

In any case, my sincere thanks (in no particular order) to Jim Steinmeyer, Mike Caveney, John Gaughan, Frankie Glass, and Joan Lawton, among others, who put their hearts and souls into these events and made them such successes.

Let us hope that, with some time off to recharge the batteries, the organizers may elect to revive the Conference and its rich and valuable traditions sometime in the future.

Richard Hatch

Re: RIP The L.A. Conference on Magic History?

Postby Richard Hatch » December 12th, 2016, 3:31 am

I hadn't heard the rumor and hope it's not true. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying the LA History Conference is my very favorite magic gathering and one eagerly anticipated. Some of my most memorable magical experiences have happened at those Gatherings. Experiencing the Hooker Card Rise for the first time is just one of many such cherished memories! I'll add my profound thanks to Jim, Mike, John, Joan, Tina, Frankie and all the others who have worked so hard to make these so wonderful. Fingers crossed that the rumor is "greatly exaggerated."

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: RIP The L.A. Conference on Magic History?

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 12th, 2016, 4:19 pm

My understanding is that the organizers are looking to take some time off, but they are still evaluating the future.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”