Houdini and Doyle TV show in Canada

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Banachek

Houdini and Doyle TV show in Canada

Postby Banachek » April 18th, 2016, 10:02 pm

There is a new show called Houdini and Doyle on TV, right now it is showing in Canada. Later it should show in the USA.

Myself and a few other magicians shot some online pieces to promote the show that go with the episodes. Although they do not show here in the USA you can view them in Canada. I have not seen them yet as will not play in the USA. they are up at the Canadian site http://www.globaltv.com/houdinianddoyle/

Let me know how it looks. I shot three segments, psychic surgery, cold reading and Spirit Photography.

Enjoy
In thoughts and friendship
Banachek

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Re: Houdini and Doyle TV show in Canada

Postby Bill Marquardt » April 19th, 2016, 3:35 am

The series begins on Monday, May 2 in the U.S. I believe it is replacing Lucifer which will have its season finale on April 25.

performer

Postby performer » April 19th, 2016, 9:06 am

I saw the book about Margery in a book shop yesterday although I did not buy it. It was called "The Witch of Lime Street" I think. On cursorily looking at it, it seemed to show two versions of the fight between Margery and Houdini. I always thought Margery won that fight. Of course the psychics always do. Still it does give the skeptics a little hobby to amuse themselves with.

Anyway for those of you that are interested and live in Toronto the biggest psychic fair in North America is on this weekend right here in town. Many of the top psychics will be there. Naturally I will be exhibiting.

paperbackarch
Favorite Magician: Robert Lenz

Postby paperbackarch » April 21st, 2016, 6:59 am

Does anyone know a way of seeing this show in the UK? I don't have a subscription to the channel but is there a way of viewing it online at all? Looks really good!!!

AJM

Postby AJM » April 22nd, 2016, 1:44 am

It has already been broadcast in the UK although I can't recall which channel.

I purposefully avoided it.

Andrew

performer

Postby performer » April 22nd, 2016, 4:29 am

AJM wrote:It has already been broadcast in the UK although I can't recall which channel.

I purposefully avoided it.

Andrew

Why?

JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Postby JohnCox » April 24th, 2016, 8:02 pm

It's a 10 episode series. Seven episodes have so far aired in the UK on ITV Encore. Premieres in the U.S. on FOX and Global TV in Canada on May 2.

I have loads of info. on my blog, including an episode guide with air dates and plot descriptions, etc.

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/p/episode-guide.html

I've also been doing some promotion with FOX. Shot some fun stuff at the Magic Castle.
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

paperbackarch
Favorite Magician: Robert Lenz

Postby paperbackarch » April 25th, 2016, 12:03 pm

Brilliant, thanks everyone!!! Annoyingly I don't have the channel they are showing it on in the UK. Hopefully it will come out on DVD soon. Would be interested to know people's thoughts on it though. Is it a good thing for the magic community? Do people feel that it is sufficiently historically accurate?

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » April 25th, 2016, 2:01 pm

It's a shame it's only available on a pay channel in the UK. But the good news is it comes out on DVD in the UK on May 23: http://amzn.to/1ruNVW6

I've seen seven episodes so far and I'm enjoying them. It's light entertainment and admittedly fiction, but, ironically, more respectful to Houdini history than the recent Houdini miniseries with Adrien Brody which called itself a biopic.

If interested, I reviewed and fact checked the first episode here: http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2016/03 ... ggies.html I'll be reviewing all the episodes as they roll out on FOX.

Yesterday I posted a clip from the show (showing the Water Torture Cell). Gives a feel for what it's like: http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2016/04 ... -from.html

JohnCox

Re: Houdini and Doyle TV show

Postby JohnCox » April 30th, 2016, 11:33 am

For those interested in the real story of Houdini & Doyle, I posted this on my blog yesterday:

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2016/04 ... doyle.html

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » May 2nd, 2016, 7:31 pm

Just a reminder...according to the cable guide, it's on tonight, 9pm East Coast time, on FOX.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

performer

Postby performer » May 2nd, 2016, 8:53 pm

I am about to watch it in eight minutes. I wish it wasn't a work of fiction though.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » May 3rd, 2016, 12:35 am

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » May 3rd, 2016, 1:48 am

Disappointing. No intensity. Not particularly compelling.

I give it a "C"...it wasn't horrible but I took it off my "Record Series" list.

Proceed at your own risk.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » May 3rd, 2016, 2:07 am

The one surprise for me was that Stephen Mangan (Doyle) really took over as "the" actor, though I kept thinking "Was Elliott Gould born a lot earlier than 1938?"

And the unfortunate surprise was that Michael Weston (Houdini) wasn't nearly as scene-stealing here as in "House". He had improbably beat Hugh Laurie several times at his own Hugh Laurie game but that failed to happen in any of the scenes in this new show.

Some other Genii-ite may want to tackle the tepid plot and writing. The sets and costuming were good though.

performer

Postby performer » May 3rd, 2016, 4:03 am

I watched it. I was too tired to watch it to the very end but I think it has possibilities. I was quite pleased to find out that it was put out by the same people that produced "Murdoch's Mysteries" which I do quite like. Maybe in time it will have the same impact. I did find Sir Arthur to be a more compelling character than Harry Houdini in the episode. Harry came across as quite irritating and I didn't really find him terribly interesting.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » May 3rd, 2016, 11:31 am

The early scene with Houdini in the Chinese Water Torture Cell was very well done. Capturing the audience nearly in hysterics, which has always been missed with other Houdini productions, was a big plus.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

performer

Postby performer » May 3rd, 2016, 1:24 pm

I don't even remember seeing it which shows how much of an impact it had on me.

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » May 4th, 2016, 10:34 am

Kevin Connolly wrote:The early scene with Houdini in the Chinese Water Torture Cell was very well done. Capturing the audience nearly in hysterics, which has always been missed with other Houdini productions, was a big plus.

And it didn't end with Houdini revealed to be his own axe-wielding assistant, which was a relief. Much better, more respectful presentation of the USD than the Houdini miniseries.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » May 5th, 2016, 12:26 am

JohnCox wrote:
Kevin Connolly wrote:The early scene with Houdini in the Chinese Water Torture Cell was very well done. Capturing the audience nearly in hysterics, which has always been missed with other Houdini productions, was a big plus.

And it didn't end with Houdini revealed to be his own axe-wielding assistant, which was a relief. Much better, more respectful presentation of the USD than the Houdini miniseries.

The axe was present, but not used, was a good call.
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”