I was young once...........

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
performer

I was young once...........

Postby performer » April 15th, 2016, 7:30 am

That scoundrel James Munton edited a video I sent him of me doing close up magic about 25 years ago to make me look as bad as possible. He made sure to post the worst bits and for some odd reason took all my remarks out of context to make me look incompetent. However, I don't really mind since it reminds me of a time when I was not old and decrepit. I am almost gentle here even though I was equally if not more wicked than I am now. Here it is for the historical record. If I ever get sensible unedited footage I will post that too but don't hold your breath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV2yFxYiTIg

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: I was young once...........

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 15th, 2016, 11:53 am

The editing is so horrible that I felt like I was having an attack of epilepsy while watching it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dougini
Favorite Magician: There are too many

Re: A Younger Mark

Postby Dougini » April 15th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Yeah. Bad editing. But WOW!! Classic! I would LOVE to see this unedited! Thanks Mark!

Doug

performer

Postby performer » April 15th, 2016, 5:07 pm

He did it deliberately to make it look as bad as possible! I shall try to get him here to explain himself! In the meantime here is something I found on Irish television from around the same time period. No editing this time thank goodness!

http://www.rte.ie/archives/category/ent ... raphology/

performer

Postby performer » April 17th, 2016, 7:10 am

It occurs to me that I should explain what went on in that Irish TV show. The graphology I was using was genuine.

However what you see on that show is not what it seems. I WAS using genuine graphology but I knew nothing about it! What the audience didn't know was that I had seen the samples beforehand despite my innocent yapping on there to the host that I was taken by surprise and it would have been far better if I had seen them beforehand.

Of course I HAD seen them beforehand! I had been sent a copy of each sample in the mail and had time to figure it all out at home rather in my supposed impromptu session on television. Once a grafter always a grafter you know.

I had a very nice simple book on graphology by a lady called Diane Simpson as I recall. A thin volume but very useful for my purpose. I went through the book comparing the samples to the meanings in the book. I scribbled notes on each sample to remind me what they meant.

When I did the show I handed the samples beforehand to the host to give to me one at a time. The audience didn't know my notes were scribbled all over them! The samples shown on screen views were the originals and not the sample copies given to me so nobody saw the notes! However, it is true that I had no idea who the writer of each sample was. I had no idea they were researchers or staff members of the show.

So I was really using genuine graphology! I shall ignore all those silly cynical people who said it was the Barnum effect at work and simply say that I am innocence personified and my conscience is clear since I WAS using graphology! I hope to God that after explaining all this I don't get a letter from Diane Simpson demanding royalties. She won't be getting any but I will say that it was an excellent primer on handwriting analysis for someone just starting.

Dougini
Favorite Magician: There are too many

Re: I was young once...

Postby Dougini » April 17th, 2016, 7:50 am

Wow!!!

ROFLMAO! Mark, you are an effing genius! You know that? I would NEVER have suspected...and you pulled it off flawlessly! I have always admired you as the consummate pitchman, but you have revealed another facet of yourself. Brilliant! You have earned your stripes, my friend!

Doug

performer

Postby performer » May 1st, 2016, 10:51 pm

Munton has posted another unedited misrepresentation of my work and it is even more ghastly than the one you have just seen. People watching it will have no idea what the effect is. He is getting great amusement telling everyone that all I do is count cards for ever and ever foreno reason and ask for applause at the end after putting everyone to sleep. He has promised to post unedited sensible footage tomorrow but I won't hold my breath. Anyway here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r1Z6G- ... e=youtu.be

performer

Postby performer » May 2nd, 2016, 3:24 pm

Munton has finally posted a somewhat unedited version except for adding some awful music and the inclusion of cat pictures for some unknown reason. I have reason to believe that Richard will not be in danger of contracting epilepsy this time but I do hope he likes cats. The cats are not my doing and I have no idea what they are supposed to signify.

Anyway, who wants to see it?

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » May 2nd, 2016, 6:53 pm

Meow

performer

Postby performer » May 2nd, 2016, 7:39 pm

I am fed up with those bloody cats. I have no idea what on earth they are doing in the video. I might post it later. These are the tricks I am doing. A fair bit of technical tommyrot and finger flinging. I didn't even know I could do that stuff until I watched the video.

1.Sponge Balls
2. Dotty Spots
3. Sympathetic Coins
4. Four coins through the table
5. Two coins through the table
6. Partial Slydini One coin routine plus glass through table
7.Card Flourishes
8.Now You See It
9.Dr Daley's Last Trick
10. MacDonald's $100 Routine
11. Silver and Copper Transposition
12. Coin through pocket
13. Copper or Silver Extraction
14. Expansion of Texture
15. 3 Cards Across

All that in twenty minutes! I work fast! I am not a fan of long winded patter and presentation. I do like people to keep awake.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”