100+ year old magic shop photos/illustrations?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

100+ year old magic shop photos/illustrations?

Postby Ted M » March 14th, 2016, 4:09 pm

Here's a request from my wife Laurie. She is an artist, and seeks visual reference material (photos, illustrations) for constructing a miniature model of a magic shop circa 1870-1920:

"I am an artist working on a project where I am attempting to create a miniature scene of a magic shop from the late 1800's -early 1900s. I have been searching for any photographs of magic shops from that time period. I am interested in both interior and exterior, signage, and how merchandise was displayed. I have found a couple exterior shots of Davenports in England from that time, but few other photo references. Any help or info is appreciated."

Images like this lovely engraving of Martinka's showroom (from http://www.martinka.com/shop ) would be really useful:

Thanks for any help!

Bill Mullins

Re: 100+ year old magic shop photos/illustrations?

Postby Bill Mullins » March 14th, 2016, 4:45 pm

If you look carefully, that last cabinet on the end has rubber vomit in it.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » March 14th, 2016, 5:20 pm

Ted;
If your wife plans to make a model, she should set the scale first so that items will be accurately sized. Very small wooden apparatus may be turned on a small lathe and copper type items may be spun on the same lathe using spinning tools made from nails and dowels. It sounds like a fun project. Please keep us posted on the progress.
Jim

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » March 15th, 2016, 11:53 am

Thanks very much, Jim! She's very appreciative for the links and advice.

Has Gibeciere published on the history of magic shops?

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”