Longtime Listener...etc. Have photos.

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
OneMoreTime

Longtime Listener...etc. Have photos.

Postby OneMoreTime » July 23rd, 2015, 1:39 am

I forgot my original login and couldn't recover it by email, so here I am again.

I recently came across a few photos I took as a teenager in the mid 1970's related to Magic. Some pics at the Castle, at the downtown SAM museum (the one that got PCB polluted), and a few others from northern Cal. One in particular is vaguely puzzling. It was a small room, maybe a switchboard, in the Castle basement with a skeleton in a pith helmet sitting there. Just what was that?

-Robert

OneMoreTime

Re: Longtime Listener...etc. Have photos.

Postby OneMoreTime » July 23rd, 2015, 4:15 pm

JFox

Re: Longtime Listener...etc. Have photos.

Postby JFox » August 13th, 2015, 1:27 pm

Robert:

The answer to your inquiry about the skeleton - can be found in the Jan. 2003 issue of....GENII!

("The Magic Castle Turns 40!" issue) ...photo & brief description are on page 48.

Basically, the life-size skeleton was one of the exhibits along the corridor of the "Haunted Wine Cellar". It features some light effects and the skeleton talking gibberish.

I THINK the implied gag was that this skeleton was "the man behind the curtain" - who secretly runs the daily operations & effects of the Magic Castle.

btw--The S.A.M. Museum wasn't in "downtown" Los Angeles...it was right in the heart of Hollywood - at the corner of Sunset Blvd. & Vine St. (site of the old NBC building, where Milt Larsen and all of the famed radio shows were broadcast from).

---Joe Fox

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”