Claude Crowe

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Diego

Claude Crowe

Postby Diego » March 10th, 2015, 12:19 pm

I was just called by Claude Crowe's assistant Patty Gonzales, who informed me that Claude Crowe: Magic historian, collector, and gentleman, had passed away.

I had wondered about not hearing from him or seeing him lately at different magic history/collecting events, and sad to know why.

Very hard to know I won't be able to talk with Claude again, about all that fascinated us thru the years....he was very helpful in my research on Mel-Roy, The Taylors, and other Texas folks.

JordanB

Re: Claude Crowe

Postby JordanB » March 10th, 2015, 12:36 pm

I am very sorry to hear about this. Claude came to every Super Session in Dallas since the first one in 2003 and he was also a fixture at the TAOM. I always enjoyed visiting with him and watching him perform. Not only was he a nice guy but had an incredible knowledge of magic and its history.

Many condolences to both his friends and family.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 10th, 2015, 2:21 pm

Diego, didn't we just see Claude in Boston in November?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Diego

Postby Diego » March 10th, 2015, 3:25 pm

I can't recall but I think he may not have been there....or in Cincinnati? I just seem to recall not seeing him at the latest magic collector events, and he had not responded to a letter I sent him about a month ago, which had a recording of Rose Dawn, that he had not heard before, that he was interesting in.

Again, I could be wrong, he was such a fixture at these events like Jim Alfredson was.

The very sad thing is that we won't have the pleasure of his company again.

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » March 10th, 2015, 3:48 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed my talks with Claude at The Yankee Gathering and on the phone. I was disappointed not to see him in November... He will be missed.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 10th, 2015, 4:08 pm

A pity.
Must have seen him at the IBM/SAM convention in St. Louis, then. I remember thinking that he did not seem well.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 10th, 2015, 4:12 pm

He hosted a collectors meeting in Austin just a couple weeks ago. Was in good spirits (especially considering the horrendous weather and traffic he faced on his drive from San Antonio) and in good health.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » March 10th, 2015, 8:13 pm

Very sad news. Claude was a real gentleman and a very capable performer and a really knowledgeable historian, always willing to share with like minded aficionados. In his teenage years and as a young adult, he assisted Willard the Wizard in Willard's shows in the San Antonio area (along with Willard's daughter Frances). He almost certainly knew more about Texas magic history than anyone else, but was he knowledgeable and literate in many areas, not confined to magic. I'll miss his presence at the annual collectors' gatherings where he could always be counted on to contribute meaningfully.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 10th, 2015, 8:22 pm

I will never forget riding with Gary Plants in the back seat of a car Claude was driving to an offsite LA conference on magic history event. Walter Blaney was in the front seat. I've ridden roller coasters all over the world, but I dare say no experience frightened me as much as this wild ride through LA traffic!

And I second Hatch's comment. I can't imagine anyone who knew more of texas magic history than anyone.

John Carney

Postby John Carney » March 10th, 2015, 11:31 pm

Such a wonderful guy…….. knowledgable and a real gentleman. I always enjoyed our talks.

And he knew Faucett Ross pretty well, so we had that connection.

So sorry to hear this…… you were well loved Claude!

Paul Amerson

Postby Paul Amerson » March 19th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Paul Amerson
http://www.TheBirthdayPartyPro.com
http://www.RCPmagic.com

Diego

Postby Diego » May 18th, 2015, 3:58 am

At the AMA award show tonight, when those who had passed away in the past year were noted, it was very good to see Claude Crowe among those remembered.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”