The Secrets of Houdini’s Ten Greatest Illusions

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
MManchester

The Secrets of Houdini’s Ten Greatest Illusions

Postby MManchester » November 4th, 2014, 6:50 pm

Gizmodo has reprinted a large portion of a lengthy article that first appeared on Listverse titled The Secrets Behind Harry Houdini’s Ten Greatest Illusions. They offer this explanation and justification.

There is an unwritten rule among magicians never to reveal how a trick is done. So when a 2004 exhibition explained Harry Houdini's illusions, magicians around the world were apoplectic. David Copperfield called it a breach of magic protocol, and performers declared that they would boycott the exhibition. Many claimed to still use Houdini's tricks themselves.

But Harry has been dead nearly 90 years. Despite their claims, few modern illusionists use his dated techniques. And the great magician's secrets had been revealed decades earlier. He had been in his grave just three years when his team began spilling the beans.

This list is for those who want to know Houdini's secrets. Those who don't want to know should stop reading now.

http://gizmodo.com/the-secrets-behind-harry-houdini-s-ten-greatest-illusio-1654107326

Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Re: The Secrets of Houdini’s Ten Greatest Illusions

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 22nd, 2014, 8:12 pm

Several of the explanations aren't even close. The wrong answers, interestingly enough are the illusions that would have required the writer to dig a little deeper to get closer to the truth. But that would have taken too much of his time and energy so instead he chose the easy path of writing drivel and collecting his paycheck at the end of the week.

JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Postby JohnCox » November 24th, 2014, 2:36 pm

The writer lifted that Hardeen pic from my blog and cut off the watermark, as well as the color brick wall shot which I got special permission to post. All around lazy and unethical piece.
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

MManchester

Postby MManchester » November 24th, 2014, 3:56 pm

John, a topic on the site's support center (help.gawker.com) says the following:

"If you hold the copyright to content published on one of the Gawker Media blogs please contact us immediately with a link to the content in question on our network and your claim."

Gizmodo is one of Gawker's media blogs. The e-mail address is:

help@gawker.com

subject=Takedown Request

Although you don't own the copyright, he obviously took the images from your site without permission and cropped them to remove the watermarks. That kind of behavior can't go unchallenged IMO. If you don't have the time, I'll gladly raise the issue on your behalf.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Postby JohnCox » November 24th, 2014, 10:35 pm

Thank you very much, Michael. I will do this.
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”