Mummy case illusion

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
H&Egalleries
Favorite Magician: Kellar

Mummy case illusion

Postby H&Egalleries » September 30th, 2014, 9:04 am

I acquired the collection of SAM past national president Frank Dailey several years ago. I'm trying to identify the maker of this Mummy Case illusion. Frank bought it from Rome the Magician (Samuel Hayhurst) who had a spook show in the 40's. Rome was friends with and former partner of Sherms. Here is a photo of a Frank and daughter Susan from the 1970s . Can anyone ID the maker ?

hugmagic

Re: Mummy case illusion

Postby hugmagic » September 30th, 2014, 10:33 am

I don't see a photo.
Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » September 30th, 2014, 10:37 am

For some reason the photo isn't showing in the UK.

Here's Jeffrey Atkins performing a Mummy illusion on the Paul Daniels TV show, 1979
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqxmXzO6g04

H&Egalleries

Mummy Case Illusion

Postby H&Egalleries » September 30th, 2014, 11:43 am

Several years ago I acquired the collection of Past National SAM President Frank Dailey. In that collection was a Mummy Case Illusion and I am trying to identify the maker. Frank obtained it from the estate of Rome the magician (Samuel Hayhurst) who had a spook show in the 1940s and 50s. Rome was friends with, and the former partner of, Sherms. Inside the crate that holds this illusion are pages from a Thayer catalog showing a Mummy Case illusion but I do not think it is a Thayer. Can anyone help?

Tom

Q. Kumber

Re: Mummy Case Illusion

Postby Q. Kumber » September 30th, 2014, 11:53 am

Still no photo.
Last edited by Q. Kumber on September 30th, 2014, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H&Egalleries

Re: Mummy Case Illusion

Postby H&Egalleries » September 30th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Sorry everyone. No matter how I try I cannot upload an image to accompany the post. If anyone would like to see the image, e-mail me at cardstar@verizon.net

JFox

Postby JFox » September 30th, 2014, 2:56 pm

Re: The above Mummy Levitation video...

It reminds me so much of the spectacular "Astarte" levitation from the 2013 LA Magic History Conference...is it?

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » September 30th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Mr Fox,

I used know who designed the Jeffrey Atkins version. Possibly Roltaire.

I believe the version you are refereeing to is entirely different and even more amazing.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » September 30th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Yes & No...

The rotational harness system was much more widely used than magicians today seem to think so in that sense they are the same. Astarte is all about the counterweight / movement system that makes it essentially a "flight" whereas the mummy illusion is most definitely a levitation.

The Goldstone books document several levitations all along the same theme (separate rotational movement of the floating girl & an up/down system) but using significantly different support systems or mechanisms for the actual floating bit. Stage levitations always used to be incredibly complicated technological wonders; it's really only in the last 40-50 years when shows had to switch to one-night-only touring that they (through necessity) became much more restrained and static levitations which are all essentially AGA or SuperX style levitations.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

JFox

Postby JFox » September 30th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Thank you, Tom and Q.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » September 30th, 2014, 4:06 pm

The OP is asking about the Mummy Case Illusion NOT a Mummy Levitation. The photo appears to be built from the old Thayer plans but the natural wood being visible seems to present a mystery as to the actual builder.

Re: Levitations

Not all current versions are AGA or static models. About 20 years ago I designed and built a streamlined Kellar type of levitation. It has been cut down to one "fan" and no counterweight. The person floats 3 feet in front of the background and lifts 3 feet. The whole unit takes two people 15-20 minutes to setup. It is all a self contained unit - lift, lights, and background are all in one and easily roll around as one piece. This solves the lighting/background problems with such "wire levitations". Mine can tune but uses a high tech fiber rather than the traditional wires of the Kellar model. A roll up system is utilized similar to the Kellar/Thurston model. There are several advantages to not using wire. The framework for this item currently sits out in my back yard. With the correct conditions, this is a very practical version for one or two night stands.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”