The Circulation of Magical Knowledge in East Germany

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

The Circulation of Magical Knowledge in East Germany

Postby Ted M » August 24th, 2014, 12:05 pm

A post over at the Magic Cafe offers a tantalizing glimpse of one means by which magical knowledge circulated in formerly communist East Germany, until the Stasi clamped down:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 5&start=30

Hanns Thielemann (April, 30th 1911 – May, 6th (?) 1986) published from May 1970 to April 1976 in East Germany a periodical circular called “Die Magische Hauspostille”. He send a monthly letter of 3 – 4 pages to selected magicians in Germany. His letters were (illegaly) written on a mechanical type writer. [...]

In his letters Thielemann shared his great magical knowledge of different (mostly) English sources with a closed magic community. After about 225 pages (56 issues) the east german secret service Stasi stopped him.

I don't know how Thielemann got his rare source and information in the former communist East Germany.

A friend of mine and I got regularly from a friend (who knows another friend ...) for a day or something Thielemann's circular (or copies of this circular) and copied the most interesting things again by type writer or hand (there was no xerox in this times and in this land).

This would seem to be a fascinating chapter in magic's cultural history. Does anyone know more?

Brad Henderson

Re: The Circulation of Magical Knowledge in East Germany

Postby Brad Henderson » August 24th, 2014, 1:13 pm

I don't know if I'm more amazed by this revelation about our history of magic or that there is something truly new, interesting and potentially valuable posted on the magic cafe.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 12th, 2014, 10:00 pm

I just saw this (so sorry for the late reply).

"Tantalizing" is an understatement! What a fascinating exchange.

Of course, it makes me think about Lubor who escaped communism so he could create and sell his magic without fear of arrest.

Much of that story is in the piece that I wrote for Genii and may be expanded upon in the biographical section of the book Richard and I are working on.

That something as innocuous as magic can be viewed as a threat by a "modern" government entity is just mind-numbing. It is a story that should not be lost to time.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 13th, 2014, 8:57 am

Dustin Stinett wrote:... as innocuous as magic can be viewed as a threat by a "modern" government entity is just mind-numbing. It is a story that should not be lost to time.

Yet elsewhere there's a city for magic. contrast that with Sterling's story Taklamakan

?? why put such a thing into isolation? Containment to do what? develop something useful for the state?

there's a science fiction story about a city walled away where inside they believe in magic and even have flying brooms. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wall_Around_the_World

Makes me wonder whether folks have read Herbert's Dosadi Experiment. What would it mean if one had to deceive ones way out of the local clubs in magician city to the outside world?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » October 14th, 2014, 5:34 am

"Secret" Police takes on a new meaning.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 14th, 2014, 8:44 am

Bob Farmer wrote:"Secret" Police takes on a new meaning.

Bob, I think he meant that the expected problems with their state security - (stasi?)
would not be a good place to paint up a forgetfull freddie like a local party politician or do hank tricks with colors of foreign flags, blow books showing dissident literature or even spelling card tricks where it might seem there's a pattern to the card. "Eight Kings you say - and just who are those ninety six Knaves"?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”