When Houdini walked through a brick wall

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

When Houdini walked through a brick wall

Postby JohnCox » July 13th, 2014, 10:08 am

It was 100 years ago today that Harry Houdini first walked through a brick wall at Hammerstein's Roof Garden and Victoria Theatre in New York. Even though he only performed the illusion for a short time, it has become part of his legend, and he is still known as "the man who walked through walls" today. So on this anniversary, I've taken a special look back at this spectacular magic effect on by blog, Wild About Harry.

Please have a read if you like:
http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2014/07 ... -wall.html
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

MManchester

Re: When Houdini walked through a brick wall

Postby MManchester » July 13th, 2014, 5:35 pm

From your Web site:

"As he had done with his Water Torture Cell, Houdini copyrighted his new effect by writing it into a short playlet he called (what else?), 'Walking Through A Brick Wall.'

Intellectual property has been discussed here before and I don't want to open that debate again. But it's my understanding of copyright that it would offer limited protection since it only applies to the specific dramatic scenario. Anyone could simply change the context (ie. a prison escape) and not be subject to any penalty.

I was wondering if you could discuss the formatting of the playlet. I don't have access to Culliton's book. Without disclosing any secrets, is the method for the effect itself explained in the text? Or does the playlet merely indicate that Houdini performs the walking through a brick wall illusion.

Although there have been many illusion shows, very few performances have had a single narrative where the magical elements develop organically out of the plot. It interests me to know how this has been approached by writers.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Re: When Houdini walked through a brick wall

Postby JohnCox » July 13th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Yes, the method is explained in the playlet (at the very end). Not as a part of the play itself, but as a staging addendum.

It's unclear if this would have giving Houdini any real copyright protection. He had success in copyrighting the Water Torture Wall in this way in the UK, so he did it here.
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”